Maurice Clarett going to Grambling???

hassan

La ilaj? ila Al
yep

that is the latest from the espn.com rumor mill

sure he has talent but will doug put up with the ego and immaturity??

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by hassan
yep

that is the latest from the espn.com rumor mill

sure he has talent but will doug put up with the ego and immaturity??

I read that. That's Jim Brown talking. Although he sure help GSU's running game. Would Doug need the headache though? Then it would be only for one year as he has to sit out this year. You know he's leaving for the NFL as soon as his HS class has been out of school for 3 years. So basically he is suspended this year and all he has to do is play 1 year next year before he's eligible for the NFL draft. If I was him I would head North and play in the CFL and make some money while you are still playing some type of pro ball which will get him somewhat ready to see what he is going face in the NFL. I think the CFL team in Toronto is interested.

Let's not jump the gun TSU_TN. I was just watching sportscenter and what was said is that someone (didn't hear who) suggested to Claurett that he should transfer to Grambling.

Saturday, September 6, 2003

ESPN.com news services

Maurice Clarett's future at Ohio State may be murky. One option that's now being discussed: Tranferring to Division I-AA Grambling.

Former NFL great Jim Brown, who is serving as an adviser to Clarett and his family, told ESPN Radio's Bob Valvano on Saturday night that his preference would be for Clarett to play at Ohio State. But if complications arise that might force the suspended running back to look elsewhere, Brown would prefer that Clarett transfer to a smaller school rather than challenging the NFL's early entry rule.

Brown said he has received suggestions from friends -- including James Harris, vice president for personnel for the Jacksonville Jaguars -- suggesting that Clarett transfer to Grambling and play for coach Doug Williams, the former Washington Redskins quarterback.

A transfer to Grambling would mean Clarett could play next year after sitting out this season at Ohio State, and would not have to waste a second year sitting out to regain his eligiblity.

"I think that if the Claretts would consider transferring, Grambling would be an ideal situation for the kid," Brown told Valvano. "Doug Williams is a great coach. He could hone his game. He'd be in school. It's a great situation. Doug would be perfect for the kid, but that's up to him and his mother."

Brown noted that he has not spoken to Williams, or anyone else with the Grambling program. He also said the school has not contacted the Claretts.

Clarett, one of Ohio State's top players during its run to the national championship last season, has been suspended from the team while the NCAA and the university investigate his behavior off the field.

Geiger said Clarett was suspended because of allegations of accepting improper benefits and for misleading investigators. He said the university has been working for the past two weeks on a response to "several pages" of allegations sent by the NCAA to the school.

Brown also continued his criticisms of Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger, saying Geiger "seems to have another agenda."

"This drags on and drags on and they don't come up with anything definitive," Brown said. "Mr. Geiger isn't making any sense."

Earlier, Brown complained that he's not being treated with respect by Ohio State in his role as Clarett's adviser, saying Geiger has been dismissive of him.

"When I am being respected by a mother and son and they are giving me that respect, then I doggone expect to be respected by an athletic director," Brown said. "When you have the power to destroy a kid's life, you have to be gracious in your investigation."

Brown said Geiger was acting like a "slave master" in an ESPN.com story earlier in the week.

"I think Andy Geiger wants to start a revolution. He is acting like a slave master. If Andy Geiger wants to act like God, then this ballgame is over," Brown was quoted as saying.

Geiger shrugged off Brown's comment.

"I do what I think is right. I do the job I'm supposed to do and I respect other people's opinions," Geiger said before No. 2 Ohio State's 16-13 victory over San Diego State. "I don't wish to elevate or denigrate or do anything else."

Geiger said Ohio State's response to several pages of NCAA allegations against Clarett is nearing completion. He declined to specify when the report would be sent.

Brown said Geiger and Ohio State seem to be trying to demonize Clarett for other problems at the school.

"I guess Ohio State is squeaky clean. I guess Geiger is squeaky clean," he said. "What is Geiger's agenda? His agenda can't be Maurice because he's just a student-athlete."

Geiger scoffed at the notion that he would be vindictive against Clarett.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.click here for actual link

Just imagine the exposure Grambling and the SWAC would get from this should he transfer. But with Clarrett comes baggage and a possible NCAA investigation.

I hope he turns into a wideout because that is the only way he will touch the ball at Grambling.

Originally posted by DAHILL
I hope he turns into a wideout because that is the only way he will touch the ball at Grambling.

I was thinking the same thing. Why would transfer to a program that is 'Pass Happy'. In fact, the entire SWAC is 'Pass Happy'.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I was thinking the same thing. Why would transfer to a program that is 'Pass Happy'. In fact, the entire SWAC is 'Pass Happy'.

Obviously you haven't seen a TxSU game this year. run, ruN, and More RUN. :eek: but hey the're are 2-0.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm

Grambling showed a new commitment to the run last night. They showed that old Wing T formation also several times. I think that this will continue (may be wrong but, I doubt it.)

The rich.

Man, talk about the rich getting richer. This would be very intriguing though. Could you imagine GSU's QB and passing game now with a runner like Clarette? Oh my.

Maybe he should consider JSU. Since the 'Almighty Run Gods' have paid Coach Bell in gold bullion, he might have a stellar career running the ball for the Blue Bengals.....:shame:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Would he not have to pass the required hours this year to be eligible anywhere next year?

Does anyone know if he's going to school this semester?

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Maybe he should consider JSU. Since the 'Almighty Run Gods' have paid Coach Bell in gold bullion, he might have a stellar career running the ball for the Blue Bengals.....:shame:

Since this is self smack I guess it can stay on the sport board?

Originally posted by Bartram
Man, talk about the rich getting richer. This would be very intriguing though. Could you imagine GSU's QB and passing game now with a runner like Clarette? Oh my.

Yes I could imagine this.

Chances are Grambling wouldn't get Clarett until next spring because of possible NCAA suspension. And then only for one year since he'd be eligible for the draft after next season. Still, if you can get him, go for it.

no, dont even start to add your own schools to this scuttlebutt mix

reread the article and you'll see in BOLD the name of James Harris who - if i am not mistaken - was a signal caller for coach Rob many years ago (Gramblingites, please verfiy this for me)

hence, this James Harris - Jim Brown connection is working in the favor of GSU and ONLY GSU

but again, this is rumor folks

stay tuned

Grambling could be an option for Clarett

Grambling could be an option for Clarett

Scott Ferrell / The Times
Posted on September 8, 2003

Grambling State could pick up a most unlikely transfer if former NFL great Jim Brown's advice is heeded.

Brown is serving as an adviser to suspended Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett. On Saturday night, Brown told ESPN Radio's Bob Valvano, that he preferred Clarett play at Ohio State. But if Clarett can't play at Ohio State, then Brown said he preferred the running back transfer to a smaller school instead of fighting the NFL's early entry rules in court.

And Brown apparently has one smaller school in mind - Grambling.

"I think that if the Claretts would consider transferring, Grambling would be an ideal situation for the kid," Brown told Valvano. "Doug Williams is a great coach. He could hone his game. He'd be in school. It's a great situation."

Brown also told Valvano that he hasn't spoken to Williams or anyone at Grambling and that no one had Grambling had contacted the Claretts.

Stubborn: If you thought Jackson State head football coach James Bell was going to make major adjustments after his team's 23-7 loss to Northwestern State last week, then you would have been wrong.

Bell is staying the course with his plan on winning with defense and a balanced offense.

The only problem is Jackson State still isn't winning.

The Tigers lost 10-7 to North Carolina A&T in overtime on Saturday night. In two weeks, JSU is already halfway to last season's loss total (4).

None of this, of course, is lost on JSU's fan base.

The Tigers fans began booing the JSU play calling midway through the third quarter on Saturday night. It seems they weren't particularly happy to see a running play on third-and-five.

After averaging 30 points per game last season, the Tigers are averaging seven per game this season.

JSU averaged 485 yards offense per game last season. The Tigers have just 448 yards in two games this season.

Bell's response to the growing criticism?

"It doesn't make any difference what anybody says or does. I'm going to do the same things," Bell told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. "I'm going to run it and make sure we understand the game first."

Shreveport bound, Part II: For the second straight week, Shreveport will be home to SWAC football.

This week, Grambling will be the home team at Independence Stadium with Alabama A&M coming to visit in a 4 p.m. game on Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1611502

Monday, September 8, 2003

By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN The Magazine

Grambling State coach Doug Williams said Monday he hasn't spoken with Jim Brown, Maurice Clarett or Clarett's mother about a possible transfer. But if Clarett did want to discuss transferring to the legendary I-AA program, Williams said, "I would take his call. I think it would be a smart move to take his call.

"A lot of people would like to have Maurice Clarett," Williams said. "I don't think a headache comes with the kid. He didn't shoot nobody. They didn't arrest him for drugs. He didn't rape nobody. Ain't no problem with the kid."

If Clarett were to transfer to a I-AA school, he would first have to serve whatever NCAA sanctions are levied against him. He also would have to be enrolled in school and eligible to play during that suspension. According to Brown, Ohio State has informed the Claretts the penalty is likely to last 12 games.

If OSU released him from his athletic scholarship -- and Clarett satisfied Grambling's transfer requirements -- the sophomore running back would be eligible to play in time for the 2004 season. Depending on circumstances, Clarett could conceivably enroll in Grambling in time for the 2004 spring practice.

Both Williams and Grambling athletic director Albert Dennis said such talk is premature, but they added that Clarett's presence could be a win-win situation for the school and the player. Grambling would gain a Heisman Trophy-quality player -- and benefit from the media attention and ticket sales that would come from such a transfer. Meanwhile, Clarett would be able to play at high profile I-AA program and then presumably enter the NFL draft in 2005.

"I think what he would have going for him is himself, Doug Williams and Grambling," said Williams. "We get a bunch of (NFL) scouts through here."

It is great that the legacy and tradition of Grambling are alive as during the glory days of Coach Rob. Having a strong presence in the league (Shack Harris) and being observed by arguably one of the greatest Rbs of all time in Jim Brown (Sweetness is still the man though) gives Grambling has sustained national appeal.

V
V
V
V
V

Back