Lets make an HBCU time capsule. What will campuses be like 50 years from now?

Bartram

Brand HBCUbian
Tuskegee will probably barely be over 3000 on-campus population. :rolleyes: We may have finally moved to division I-AA in football. We may have 2 or 3 more brand new buildings, no new dorms still, perhaps more of the on-campus apartments. We'll still be the MOARHs, "mother of all rennovating HBCUs" when it comes to on-campus buildings,, but historic Hunntington dat burned down in the late 80s of the 20th century may be replaced by then. :eek:

NCA&T,,, now A&T, on the other hand, will probably have easily doubled in on campus population being around 14-16K and the campus will be sporting about 5-7 major new buildings from admin to dorms to new research and classroom facilities. They will be part of a thriving division I-A conference, not totally HBCU but roughly half HBCU and PWC, playing ball in a 40K seat state-of-the-art on-campus stadium in front of sold out crowds.

Troy State will be a major power in Div I-A football and have played both Alabama and Auburn IN TROY in a 60K seat stadium.

UAB will finally have it's own 40K seat stadium, but it will still not have played Alabama

ASU will have expanded east and finally have its own 30K seat stadium and student population of about 7-8K. AAMU will have expanded Lewis Crews to 35K with an student population about the same.. Unfortunately, or fortunately, they will be big fish in a 2050s SWAC abandoned by Jackson State, Southern, Grambling and maybe Texas Southern.

I think I'll save this post. If I'm still around then, (even though I'll be d@mn near 100 years old,) I'll refer to this. Then, I'll get in my levitating wheelchair, and fly all over AAMU's campus..just like George Jetson.

:lol:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by AAMU Alum
I think I'll save this post. If I'm still around then, (even though I'll be d@mn near 100 years old,) I'll refer to this. Then, I'll get in my levitating wheelchair, and fly all over AAMU's campus..just like George Jetson.

:lol:

Me too! They would probably have to teleport me there. My mind would be there roaming around campus in a clone programmed to the exact specifications that I was when I arrived on campus in the summer of 1982, but only with my mind logged into the clone's mind to use for the weekend. I would be able to walk around campus and experience everything just like it was 1982, except I'd be laid up in an anti-gravity suspension bed in a trans, experiencing everything telepathically, but 100% connected to the nervous system of the clone rental. :idea: It will be great!

I really feel good about the future of our HBCUs because so many are now headed by younger men and women.We are becoming more and more progressive and trying some new ways of doing things.We're getting more and more academic programs on our various campuses these days and I would like to see that continue.I would like to think that in 50 years, we'll have a lot more professional schools like law,engineering,pharmacy and medicine housed at HBCUs.And the graduate programs should be through the roof by then.
All of the D1AA HBCUs will be D1A by then and all of the DII schools will be at least D1AA.DIII may be extinct by then.
Some of the outstanding leaders at HBCUs are:Dr. Harvey at Hampton,Dr. Bronson at BCC,Dr. Gainous at FAMU,Dr. Payton at Tuskegee,Dr. Shields at Albany State,Dr. Lomotey at Fort Valley State and many many more.I really feel that most of our schools are headed in the right direction.And yes,the percentage of HBCU alums giving back to their schools should be astronomical by then.But lets keep the ball rolling!!!:)

Good points raised.

Originally posted by Butch Wms.
I really feel good about the future of our HBCUs because so many are now headed by younger men and women.We are becoming more and more progressive and trying some new ways of doing things.We're getting more and more academic programs on our various campuses these days and I would like to see that continue.I would like to think that in 50 years, we'll have a lot more professional schools like law,engineering,pharmacy and medicine housed at HBCUs.And the graduate programs should be through the roof by then.
All of the D1AA HBCUs will be D1A by then and all of the DII schools will be at least D1AA.DIII may be extinct by then.
Some of the outstanding leaders at HBCUs are:Dr. Harvey at Hampton,Dr. Bronson at BCC,Dr. Gainous at FAMU,Dr. Payton at Tuskegee,Dr. Shields at Albany State,Dr. Lomotey at Fort Valley State and many many more.I really feel that most of our schools are headed in the right direction.And yes,the percentage of HBCU alums giving back to their schools should be astronomical by then.But lets keep the ball rolling!!!:)

I went down the sports/campus pop growth path, but you hit on a KEY area; new leadership and how we do business at HBCUs and where we will be academically in 50 years.

Very good point on having more professional schools at our institutions. I think there will be at least 4 HBCUs with a comprehensive array of programs offering PHds like most HBCUs off MS degrees today. I believe ASU will have a school of law in 50 years. I see AAMU expanding in the sciences more and Tuskegee continuing in the sciences and bio-medicine.

I think the most substantial population increase of non-blacks will be hispanics who are being planted in many rural predominantly black counties of the south right now. I think (or there should be) HBCUs will expand efforts to recruit Hispanics to our campuses. Hard to tell right now though, but today while at a ComCo in my home town, I saw more "foreigners" (i.e. hispanics, asians, mixed folks) than I did blacks although blacks were in substantial numbers.

Back