Laptops

jelli

Music Lover
All you tech heads out there what are the pros and cons of having a laptop versus a desktop PC? My lil sister wants one to take to college with her.

It is portable. It does absolutely everything a desktop does. All I use is my laptop except at work.

The only thing I can think of it is that it cost a little more to upgrade because the parts are smaller. Also because they are smaller, they are naturally more expensive than a comparable desktop with the same features.

Jelli, I bought my brother-in-law a laptop a week ago. He is a freshman at the local community college. He can take it everywhere. It has a wireless network card so he can get to the web all over town. Home, my house, Library even the local coffee houses.

You can find the laptop I purchased for him here.

The downside is cost. Laptops are more expensive than their desktop counterparts. They also are not as flexible when it comes to upgrading it a year or two down the road.

Most college students dont need a computer with a lot of processing power. Just enough to use the office suites and get on the internet. Maybe download some music but that's about it. A laptop should be just fine for her. Just make sure she get's a lock for it. It's much eaiser for a laptop to disappear from a room than a desktop.

I attended an Intech Workshop during the Summer through the school system that I am employed through. We were given the opportunity to choose from a list of equipment that would benefit our class. I was given a Dell Latitude D600 Laptop and a Dell Projector. I will have to purchase my own Screen. We keep the equipment at home as long as we are employed through the system. Is anyone familiar with a Dell Latitude? Is that considered a good laptop?

JagBR said:
I attended an Intech Workshop during the Summer through the school system that I am employed through. We were given the opportunity to choose from a list of equipment that would benefit our class. I was given a Dell Latitude D600 Laptop and a Dell Projector. I will have to purchase my own Screen. We keep the equipment at home as long as we are employed through the system. Is anyone familiar with a Dell Latitude? Is that considered a good laptop?

Dell is a very good brand. I have owned a couple Dell Desktop PC's. I was considering a Dell Laptop, but they don't have one with the 17 inch screen. I opted to go with the HP Pavilion with a 17 inch screen.

cat daddy said:
Dell is a very good brand. I have owned a couple Dell Desktop PC's. I was considering a Dell Laptop, but they don't have one with the 17 inch screen. I opted to go with the HP Pavilion with a 17 inch screen.

Now that I have a Laptop, is it easy to access the Internet on a plane or when travelling on a bus 300 miles from home?

JagBR said:
Now that I have a Laptop, is it easy to access the Internet on a plane or when travelling on a bus 300 miles from home?

If you laptop is equipped with a wireless card you can access wireless networks. Depending on where you are you may have to pay to access the network. Places like Starbucks, Border's Bookstore, the BR Airport...you have to pay. Other places may offer free access. It just depends on the business.

JagBR said:

You will not be able to get on the web while in transit, but as noted above many places offer free wireless internet access. CC's Coffee and Charlies Coffee in BR have free wireless internet access. Also while traveling, many hotels have free access. The Hilton Hotel chain is one that offers free access.

If it is for a college student, I would have to ask a few questions before I purchase the laptop.

1) How mobile will she be? I mean, will she be typing notes in class, printing at the library, etc.

2) Is this her first computer? A laptop should not be one's first computer.

3) Where does she live? Laptop theft is on the rise in college dorms, its a little harder to steal a desktop.

Laptop are generally better suited for the working professional. My company provides each employee with laptops because we switch from account to account during the course of the year, which allows for us to be very mobile. Having meeting in different parts of the building or town.

I feel a college student just may not need to be very mobile with a computer. Its not like they can sit in front of the Student Union and surf the web.

Da_Sperm said:
If it is for a college student, I would have to ask a few questions before I purchase the laptop.

1) How mobile will she be? I mean, will she be typing notes in class, printing at the library, etc.

3) Where does she live? Laptop theft is on the rise in college dorms, its a little harder to steal a desktop.

Laptop are generally better suited for the working professional. My company provides each employee with laptops because we switch from account to account during the course of the year, which allows for us to be very mobile. Having meeting in different parts of the building or town.

I feel a college student just may not need to be very mobile with a computer. Its not like they can sit in front of the Student Union and surf the web.
You and I are on the same wave length. She won't be very mobile so I don't see the need for a laptop. I would have the get the hting insured against theft(if that possible). She doesn't type well enough to have it in class. I dont see why she can't just use the PC in the dorms and library like I did when I was in school.

I think the bottom line is how responsible the user demonstrates himself to be.

My 17 year-old son is not very responsible. He want's a laptop. I won't buy him one. He will have to get one on his own (used, about $300). My 15 year-old daughter is very responsible. Her next computer will be a laptop.

At a number of the private schools in the area, laptops are required in 3rd grade and higher. Wireless is nice for a college student, but not essential. Run the office suites and connect to the network: end of story for 99% of them. A few will take advantage of mobility and MIDI capabilty in musical composition/arranging/production, but that's about all.

The real reason that you want the kid to have his own computer and not be relegated to what is in to dorm or the library is 24/7 unabated access. You get it whenever you need it...and if it is going in a dorm room, buy a safe for it. Cable locks or merely for semi-honest thieves in well-trafficked or monitored areas.

Da_Sperm said:

To add to that, one has to think about INSURANCE. I have to have special insurance for my laptop, in case it drops, a drink spills on it, or is stolen. Normally, your household/rental insurance will cover a desktop, but the rules are different with a laptop. You need "inland marine" coverage (or something that covers you when you are outside of your home).

The other thing is that if the person is going to do any type of graphics, a laptop monitor won't give you the same screen quality as a desktop.

I have a Dell Inspiron 4150, and I love it. I have a monitor at the crib to give me a better feel for my pictures, though.

jelli said:
You and I are on the same wave length. She won't be very mobile so I don't see the need for a laptop. I would have the get the hting insured against theft(if that possible). She doesn't type well enough to have it in class. I dont see why she can't just use the PC in the dorms and library like I did when I was in school.

I have insurance on my laptop, and it covers theft, spilled liquids on my keyboard, and other damages. I had a scratch on my screen, and had it repaired within 2 days through my Dell warranty.

I can't afford to send my laptop to the manufacturer when it breaks. It could be a few weeks before I get it repaired and shipped back to me (under regular warranties).

Back