Labor Day Classic in Houston

O'Bladerunner

And Down!
There's a rumor that the Labor Day Classic between PV and TSU has been moved to the new stadium, Reliant Stadium.

I don't see how it could, but.......Has this changed from a "no" to a "go"?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
From talks we had with our AD, last Monday he met with officials of Reliant Park for a second time and he was told that they had to back out of the verbal agreement we once had before due to the preseason game the Texans are playing the night before the LDC against Tampa Bay. We recommended that he try to change the day from Saturday night to Sunday or maybe even perhaps a daytime game on Monday.

The last LDC to draw over 35K was the one in Rice Stadium on a Sunday!

They went to that sorry azz dome the year later and the crowds have never reached the same. Then UH and Rice started playing on that same day instead and the crowds have really plummeted.

When Jason was there he tried to tell me we don't compete with both schools but we lose either way. With the Texans gone, no college action, and Labor day weekend, we could get total exposure.

Daytime Monday? Hell no. Sunday night? Yes.

Originally posted by C-LeB28
From talks we had with our AD, last Monday he met with officials of Reliant Park for a second time and he was told that they had to back out of the verbal agreement we once had before due to the preseason game the Texans are playing the night before the LDC against Tampa Bay. We recommended that he try to change the day from Saturday night to Sunday or maybe even perhaps a daytime game on Monday.

THis will not happen this year.
They do play the previous night and then they have their season opening game against the Cowboys on Monday night football. THey want to make sure the field is in perfect order for that game with a national audience watching. THe field will be perfect.

Originally posted by Fiyah

THis will not happen this year.
They do play the previous night and then they have their season opening game against the Cowboys on Monday night football. THey want to make sure the field is in perfect order for that game with a national audience watching. THe field will be perfect.

I mentioned this a while back... That's why I was suprised to hear the Texans had verbally agreed to play the LDC there.

BoB McNair (owner of Texans) stood on the 50 yard line in last year's game against SU and announced the Labor Day Classic to be played in the new Reliant Stadium.

That was also before the dates and times for the pre-season and season games were announced. The NFL sets those dates and times and the Texans didn't even know what division they were going tobe in, so I will say that they didn't know at the time that was announced. I believe that it can be worked out for next year knowing where both stands. And it wasn't Bob Mcnair, it was Charlie Casserly the Vice President & GM of the Texans.

Back