JSU's backup QB transfers to Tuskegee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickPartna

Client & Player President
Jackson State loses WR Goss to baseball, QB Flen transfers

July 9, 2002

JACKSON, Miss. -- Jackson State is losing wide receiver Michael Goss to professional baseball while backup quarterback John Flen is transferring.

Goss was an 11th-round selection by the Boston Red Sox in June. Flen is transferring to Division II Tuskegee in Alabama.

Goss, who had 19 catches for 254 yards and three touchdowns last season, was slated to start as a junior. The Tigers are replacing both of last year's starters.

"I don't know how I'm going to replace him," Tigers offensive coordinator Darrell Asbury said. "I guess one of the young guys is going to have to step in."

Goss led the Southwestern Athletic Conference in kickoff returns at 28.9 yards per return.

He is playing with the Red Sox's Class A team in Lowell, Mass. He could return to play football at Jackson State in 2003.

Flen split No. 2 quarterback duties as a freshman last season with Brian Green. Flen solidified his spot behind starter Robert Kent while Green sat out spring practice with an injury.

"Kent's got two more years and I've got three more years. And one year wasn't going to cut it. I didn't feel like sitting around and waiting."

Beyond Kent and Green, Jackson State's other quarterback's are freshman Jeremy Lee and Elijah McDonald.

Ref: Press Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back