JSU vs SU baseball

Wonderwoman

My brother is on Southern's baseball team, he just called me and gave me the score. Mighty Jags 7; JSU 3. He said that JSU has a great team, the toughest they have faced this year, besides LSU. The game went into the 7th inning with no scores. Both teams held each other. JSU went up 2-0, then they made at least 10 costly errors and my mighty jags took charge. Good game JSU, I will witness another beatdown in BR tomorrow.

Originally posted by bluenation
My brother is on Southern's baseball team, he just called me and gave me the score. Mighty Jags 7; JSU 3. He said that JSU has a great team, the toughest they have faced this year, besides LSU. The game went into the 7th inning with no scores. Both teams held each other. <font color=red>JSU went up 2-0, then they made at least 10 costly errors</font> and my mighty jags took charge. Good game JSU, I will witness another beatdown in BR tomorrow.
Aside from lack of pitching, JSU has had some of the worst fielding players recently. They make too many damn errors. My son had a birthday party today, otherwise I woulda been there to witness the meltdown. I saw the highlights and got excited when we went up 2-0 in the bottom of the 7th.

Good win Jags.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
There has been a pattern of teams playing S.U. very tough in the first game and getting blown out the next. It will be interesting to see how JSU fairs Sunday.
One of the better teams that comes to mine is UNO (the team that beat LSU earlier this week). They won the first game 8-7 and got blown out 10-1 in the second game. I want even go into the the SWAC teams. JSU must have some show however to hold the Jags scoreless in 6 innings. Hell, some of the best teams in the country can't do that!

March 30, 2003

Felton's injury latest blow to baseball team

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

With No 2. and No. 3 pitchers Will Johnson and Raphael Lockett already shelved with arm injuries, Jackson State's baseball team received an even bigger blow this past weekend when Robert Felton sustained a season-ending knee injury.

"It's tough, real tough," said JSU baseball coach Mark Salter, whose team lost to SWAC kingpin Southern U. 7-3 Saturday afternoon at University Park. "To be honest with you, I don't know how we're going to replace him. You're talking about our center fielder and cleanup hitter."

Felton, JSU's best all-around player, was an All-SWAC preseason choice as an outfielder. Baseball America listed the talented senior as a player to watch in the Southeast region.

Felton was batting .333 with a team-leading 20 RBIs before suffering a torn MCL (right knee) in the second game of a Sunday doubleheader against Alcorn.

"He hit a little flare to the pitcher, and it rolled to the second baseman," Salter said. "Robert and the first baseman got to the bag simultaneously, and instead of trying to run through the guy, he pulled up.

"Just the way he pulled up, I knew it was an ACL or an MCL; I knew it right away."

JSU held out hope that it was just a bruised knee, but an MRI ? taken after the swelling went down ? revealed a torn MCL. The news came on the same day Felton received via mail an invitation to the USA Baseball International tryouts.

Salter hopes to get Johnson (strained elbow ligament) and Lockett (inflammation of shoulder) back soon. After being out the past two weeks, each is expected to begin throwing next week.

"It'd be a big lift if we could get them back," said Salter, whose team is 13-9 overall and 10-6 in the SWAC East heading into today's 1 p.m. game at Southern U. in Baton Rouge.

I checked the box score and it looked like every player on the field commited at least one error for JSU.

Robber,

That is tough to shake off against good teams. Most of our SWAC baseball programs commit to many errors. I would like to see Savvannah State in the Eastern Division. I think that would force the Eastern Division to step-up. I think all the beatings to Southern in the Western Division have made the Western Division programs step=up, but it will ake another year or two before it will be seen on the field.

Shaking My Head!!

You all are acting like the east is horrible, JSU is the only team that hangs with SU and they have met in the championship umpteen times and remember they have been to the ncaa tournament many times and have hung with LSU and others. I am not saying this to down the east, I was just letting you all know that my brother said they weren't shocked that JSU held them scoreless till the 7th. They know that JSU is tough and that they have a sound program. Those errors are gonna happen. Southern has the best swac baseball program and if it wasn't for JSU we wouldn't have no competition. JSU's team that made it to the tournament last year and beat Southern in the first game was an entire freshman team, they are young.

bluenation,

I watch JSU baseball nearly every home game they play, except the occassional Wed./Thur. game they play in the middle of the day. They make too many fielding errors. These are errors that my little league coach wouldn't put up with.

Congrats, Jags. My Wave dropped two of three at USM (by a combined three runs) this weekend, so SOMEONE from LA had to step up vs. MS.

Back