JSU -SU Rivalry

originalfunky4

I was BORN IN 1962!

There has always been a rivalry among JSU and SU. It started in the 70's and gained the intensity that it has today through the 80's when i was in the Boom, 90's and the 00's. The rivalries also started when your fresh college grads were hired from both Universities and would switch and swap musical arrangements. Some one who arranged music for JSU would get hired at Southern and they would bring that school's musical arrangements, styles, secrets, with them and vice-versa.

But now the "YOUNGGUNS" have added a new demension to the HBCU Band Rivalry that has never been associated with our Rich Heritage. "Gangs, Guns & Violence". It used to be good -wholesome, clean rivalry. Now,:redhot: this --it has gone to he-- in a hand-basket.

"What's wrong with our younguns today"

Oh will shut up about an SU/JSU rivalry...shoot the rivalry started when I got on campus and Mr. Haughton told us that Friday night to watch out for all them crazy folks in BR and all ya'll was standing there talking about ummmhummm, that's right. Then we went down there and alomost started fighting with them drunks. Then they would try to unplug our speakers and we would accidentally make theirs stop working for a second or so. And don't get me talking about the bruhs....Man I still can't stand that JR and his LBs either (cept Magoo and Oops now they were some cool cats) You this thing is way bigger than you old folks realize! Boo SU!!!

*now can we drop all this stuff, shoot these young kids are just different, period point blank. The stuff they do and say I don't understand, don't think I will and am beginning not to want to! *

Originally posted by Bengal E
Oh will shut up about an SU/JSU rivalry...shoot the rivalry started when I got on campus and Mr. Haughton told us that Friday night to watch out for all them crazy folks in BR and all ya'll was standing there talking about ummmhummm, that's right. Then we went down there and alomost started fighting with them drunks. Then they would try to unplug our speakers and we would accidentally make theirs stop working for a second or so. And don't get me talking about the bruhs....Man I still can't stand that JR and his LBs either (cept Magoo and Oops now they were some cool cats) You this thing is way bigger than you old folks realize! Boo SU!!!

*now can we drop all this stuff, shoot these young kids are just different, period point blank. The stuff they do and say I don't understand, don't think I will and am beginning not to want to! *

READ THE WHOLE ORIGINAL POST!!!!

You contradicted yourself through your entire post!
I could have sworn that the original email stated that the rivalry had been around since the 70's. It didn't start when 'you got on campus,' as you posted. I believe the main reason for her/his post was to point out the fact that the rivalry has gained an intensity that is beyond competition, and more of a disrespect of another's craft and to gain an insight as to why it has come to this.

I personally don't remember none of that stuff in which you speak. Especially Mr. Haughton telling us about BR folks! Maybe it was just you. And who were these people that were 'accidently' unplugging speakers? You, perhaps?

Original, do you remember any of this in which E speaks?

:smh: :rolleyes:

If you don't want to read about, keep your azz outta the thread!

See that's why I love you girl.

BTW, you ain't OLD. You're just aged, like all good things become. Better with time. AND I ain't old!!!

SLT,

I told you once, you didn't hang out. You were just a big ol square!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

See that's why I love you girl.

BTW, you ain't OLD. You're just aged, like all good things become. Better with time. AND I ain't old!!!

SLT,

I told you once, you didn't hang out. You were just a big ol square!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

Oh, so hanging out with you would have made me 'not a square'?

Negro from Louisville, MS thinking he was Hollywood! :lmao:

NO THANKS!! :goof:

Keep it up Eric....these younguns are about to find out what a JSU-JSU rivalry look like! :middlefanga:

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger

Keep it up Eric....these younguns are about to find out what a JSU-JSU rivalry look like! :middlefanga:

No she didn't call-out Louisville Mississippi!!!!!

:D:D:D

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger

Waminnit! My wife is from "Fun City" (that is the intersection of Hwy 25, Hwy 14, and Hwy 15). She's a Center Ridge girl, most beautiful flower ever plucked from Winston County.

Don't be pickin' on L'ville. I wanna retire there one day and maybe run for mayor.;)

There are still places in Fair Quarters to hang out. Luigi's Family Restaurant is still the bomb, if you don't mind running across the street to Fred's for something to drink. Otherwise, you might end up at Charley McCool's.;) ;) ;)

On the subject of this thread, this gangsta and fightin' stuff has got to go. It's about makin' music not brakin' heads.

Originally posted by dacontinent
Waminnit! My wife is from "Fun City" (that is the intersection of Hwy 25, Hwy 14, and Hwy 15). She's a Center Ridge girl, most beautiful flower ever plucked from Winston County.

Don't be pickin' on L'ville. I wanna retire there one day and maybe run for mayor.;)

There are still places in Fair Quarters to hang out. Luigi's Family Restaurant is still the bomb, if you don't mind running across the street to Fred's for something to drink. Otherwise, you might end up at Charley McCool's.;) ;) ;)

On the subject of this thread, this gangsta and fightin' stuff has got to go. It's about makin' music not brakin' heads.

:lol: @ dacontinent! I'm sure your wife is very beautiful..:tup:

:lol: @ Fred's for something to drink!!!

Glad to see somebody else understood what 'funky4' was aiming to get across...;)

He said hanging out.. :rolleyes:

Hol' up man!! Don't be making me remin, remins, ahhh shoot man don't make me miss all that stuff in the middle of the day!!! Shoot I'm at work and that's depressing enough :(

Forget you SLT. :D

:eek2: :eek2:

Frat,
I am hurt that you said that bruh......................:bawling:
I thought we were cool. :cool:

It would seem that you old folks are becoming even more senile. If ya'll can't understand that my comments were meant as jest, then I am truly sorry. I was just trying to throw a little fun into this worn out subject.

Yes JR, Frat, we are still tight as shoes two sizes too small. Even though he didn't holla @ me while you were here in ATL.

No ShyLadyTiger, I do not think of myself as all Hollywood. Shoot you were the upperclassman when I was a crab.

What I'm trying to say is, what I've always said on this board. TIMES ARE DIFFERENT. We got along and all had a definite love for the music and what we did individually and collectively. Not saying that the people of today don't, it's just their groove is different from ours and there are a lot of factors that cause it.

Now if everybody will just buy me a Coke when they see me at the game, I'll be alright........ :lmao:

Now if everybody will just buy me a Coke when they see me at the game, I'll be alright........ :lmao:

Have a Coke, a smile and STHU! :p

Done deal.... ;)

It would seem that you old folks are becoming even more senile. If ya'll can't understand that my comments were meant as jest, then I am truly sorry. I was just trying to throw a little fun into this worn out subject.

Yes JR, Frat, we are still tight as shoes two sizes too small. Even though he didn't holla @ me while you were here in ATL.

No ShyLadyTiger, I do not think of myself as all Hollywood. Shoot you were the upperclassman when I was a crab.

What I'm trying to say is, what I've always said on this board. TIMES ARE DIFFERENT. We got along and all had a definite love for the music and what we did individually and collectively. Not saying that the people of today don't, it's just their groove is different from ours and there are a lot of factors that cause it.

Hey Frat, I'll do better than that. If you make it to Jackson for the SU game, I'll not only buy you a coke, I'll buy you something to mix with that coke.:cool:

BTW,
I hung out with Doyle and Agee this past weekend. Ran into them and Morris "St Aug" Armstrong at the game. Man I always have luv for the old head HH bruhs. Can't wait till the SU/JSU game.

Originally posted by originalfunky4
But now the "YOUNGGUNS" have added a new demension to the HBCU Band Rivalry that has never been associated with our Rich Heritage. "Gangs, Guns & Violence". It used to be good -wholesome, clean rivalry. Now,:redhot: this --it has gone to he-- in a hand-basket.

When in the hell did anyone band memebers have guns and in gangs and it entered the ranks of the band. Maybe at JSU, but speaking as a former member of the jukebox that just graduated this summer:D, that ish never happened while I was in the band. there was no disrespect between the two programs as a matter of fact some of us are real cool with boom members so on the real yall need to get off this ish cause this ish is making me mad. LOL @ "Gangs, guns, and violence". :smh:

Originally posted by originalfunky4

Well,...I don't know about gangs and guns over this way but,....the band rivalry as a whole at HBCU's has somewhat taken a turn for the worst. All I can say is that life is a cycle. I'm sure when they were young,...my grand parents did some of the same things my dad did when he was young and I did the same thing my dad did when I was younger. The thing is with each generation,....there is more intensity. This is ,....sorry to say the society inwhich we live in today and if you look back through history THE ARTS is a reflection of one's society. We went from Billie Holiday to Little Richard to Motown to 50 Cent. Sociologist would base what you are seeing today as the end result of a competative society too busy making money without time to raise their children. The children end up raising themselves due to the destruction of the family nucleus. I sorry to say,....It's not going to get any better.

:wavey:

Back