JSU football

ThSwacFan

Posted on Wed, Jul. 16, 2003 Writer James Jones

Former Red Rebel in running for JSU

Two South Mississippi quarterbacks soon could be battling to replace a Jackson State legend.

Jeremy Lee and Kethone McLaurin are expected to get first shot at succeeding Robert Kent, the school's career passing leader, who has one more season with the Tigers.

Lee played at Harrison Central, while McLaurin is a Collins standout. Lee is a sophomore; McLaurin, an incoming freshman.

Both quarterbacks have different styles, but they are capable of starting in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Lee is a strong-armed passer, who threw for more than 2,200 yards in 2001. McLaurin is a double-threat who relies mostly on running. McLaurin passed for 1,972 yards and 31 TDs as a senior.

Imagine one of these guys playing in Robert Hughes' run-and-shoot offense. The Tigers wouldn't be missing a beat with Lee or McLaurin after Kent's departure.

The most important thing is that both signal-callers are winners. Lee helped the Red Rebels reach the Class 5A state playoffs. McLaurin helped Collins win consecutive Class 3A state championships.

Lee and McLaurin are probably on equal ground. Lee sat out last season after not meeting NCAA requirements. McLaurin has qualified academically.

And it's not out of the question that Lee or McLaurin supplant Brian Green as Kent's primary backup at fall practice next month.

In limited action, Green hasn't shown much as the Tigers' No. 2 guy. Green better take a few steps forward or one of the young guns will surpass him on the depth chart.

Jackson State (7-4) has done an excellent job in landing unheralded quarterbacks from the Magnolia state over the years.

Robert Kent was also considered an after-thought by Division I recruiters at Indianola Gentry. But Hughes saw potential and landed the most talented signal-caller in school history.

Kent now has a shot to become the first Jackson State quarterback to make the pros. He is on the radar of pro scouts.

Jackson State hopes to hit the jackpot again with Lee and McLaurin in the near future.
James Jones can be reached at 228-896-2320 or at JkJones@sunherald.com

Nice article. He's wrong about Brian Green and some other facts, but still a nice article.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I feel good about both QB's starting in the future. I saw Lee play in the MSHS Playoffs when he put up 300+ against a good Brandon team. Dude is like 6-3 240, but not flabby. He had offers from Grambling and Alcorn as well.

McLaurin was 30-0 on the field the past two years. I saw him play in the title game two years in a row and he is the pure truth. He had offers from USM and Miss. State early, but they yanked them b/c of grades and procrastination on his part. Anyway, he became eligible and we got a steal.

Originally posted by ThSwacFan
Posted on Wed, Jul. 16, 2003 Writer James Jones

Kent now has a shot to become the first Jackson State quarterback to make the pros. .

...No smack intended here, but how can the "so-called" wide-receiver university explain the above known fact????

P.S. (Quarterbacks and Wide-Receivers are supposed to compliment each other)

...Interesting article!!

Brian Lee will start after Kent leaves. Lee has performed admirably in games.

As for Lee, dude looked like Bruce Eugene in that all-star game last year. If he hasn't lost that weight, McLaurin will overtake him. McLaurin has the potential to be a serious pass-run threat.

Re: Re: JSU football

Originally posted by G-QUE
...No smack intended here, but how can the "so-called" wide-receiver university explain the above known fact????

No smack intended here, but your comment was unwarranted and _ _ _ !

Satellite Totten passed for over a zillion yards to All World Rice while at the Valley, and...... well I'll just let you figure out the rest.

:smh:

Originally posted by Robber
Brian Lee will start after Kent leaves. Lee has performed admirably in games.

As for Lee, dude looked like Bruce Eugene in that all-star game last year. If he hasn't lost that weight, McLaurin will overtake him. McLaurin has the potential to be a serious pass-run threat.

I think McLaurin will be the QB next year. He would've had almost as much time learning the system as the other 2 QBs, plus he has a lot of upside. And he's a perfect fit for the offense.

Re: Re: JSU football

Originally posted by G-QUE

...Interesting article!!

Run off all tha HBCU QB's in tha NFL ............ since no smack was intended:rolleyes:

We don't know who will start but it's good to have competition. Once Kent leaves we will have:

Green (Senior)
Lee (Junior)
McLaurin (redshirt freshman-I can't see Bell allowing this dude to lose a year to sit behind Kent and a very capable Green).

McLaurin wont start til his Soph year.

Bell is going to get Green ready this year to take over for Kent.

A beat wont be missed.

It would be best if Bell redshirted McLaurin this year and that would put him two years behind Lee. We would still have depth with Green, Lee and Elijah McDonald at the 2,3 and 4 spots.

Green will start next fall b/c of experience then Lee and McLaurin can slug it out for the No. 1 spot after that.

HBCU football should really be interesting this season because the level of play should be much better with all of the DI transfers and better recruiting on our part.It seems like HBCUs get more and more DI transfers every year and I don't mean just FAMU either.:cool:

Originally posted by Get Ready
McLaurin wont start til his Soph year.

Bell is going to get Green ready this year to take over for Kent.

A beat wont be missed.

GR, due to the fact that JSU will be struggling this year how is 1-9 going to get him ready? I see Kent will be on the bench after the first game. How do you all just give the job to the next guy? Are you talking about how Hughes did it or this is the way 1-9 is going to do it? Please explain, I would ask TP but since you all cosign so much, maybe you can explain.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by MightyDog
GR, due to the fact that JSU will be struggling this year how is 1-9 going to get him ready? I see Kent will be on the bench after the first game. How do you all just give the job to the next guy? Are you talking about how Hughes did it or this is the way 1-9 is going to do it? Please explain, I would ask TP but since you all cosign so much, maybe you can explain.

You see, the thread was posted on this board (I assume) so that SWAC fans of all teams can share their views on certain things without worrying about someone trying to belittle their posts or their teams, but somehow the hatred seems to rear its ugly head, as in the case above.

This was a simple article/thread about the QB situation at JSU that was soured by bogus predictions and cheapshots.....on the Sportsboard, might I remind you.

So what's the deal MD, are you threatened by our QB situation (be it a good one, at that)? I would be too, but since this not the sportsboard, I'll leave it at that. You can find me on the smackboard, too, if need be. Just holla.

Originally posted by MightyDog

Now does everyone still wonder how threads on this board turn into smack threads.....but its all our fault.

MD

You wanna know whats sad.
JSU has 4 QBs on the roster better than any QB you have....now that is sad. Seems like we should let you have one or something. But then again, there is no use in wasting talent like that.

Originally posted by Get Ready
Now does everyone still wonder how threads on this board turn into smack threads.....but its all our fault.
:smh:

some folks will say anything!

but back to the topic,

"In limited action, Green hasn't shown much as the Tigers' No. 2 guy."

interesting......
JSU better hope Kent stays healthy this year.

Mighty Hornet,
Having seen this cats....McLaurin, Lee....trust me, we have nothing to worry about in the future of the QB position. lol.

So MH, have that senator cleared his cousin and cousin's friend to play yet? Wasnt his cousin's friend going to be you all's starting QB?

Originally posted by mighty hornet

but back to the topic,

"In limited action, Green hasn't shown much as the Tigers' No. 2 guy."

interesting......
JSU better hope Kent stays healthy this year.

Let me get this straight...

Alabama State lost their top defensive player and top running back, yet Mighty Hornet is over here on the sports board subliminally smacking our back-up quarterback???

:shame:

But I feel your pain bruh!

Thats my point...we cant get him to say a word about the players he swears makes his team loaded...the players that have now publically stated in the paper that they are not going to play....but he has analysis on out backup QB.

BTW...how much action has Fortson and Jackson seen MH?
Analyze that.

Originally posted by "NOISE TALKA"
Mighty Hornet,
Having seen this cats....McLaurin, Lee....trust me, we have nothing to worry about in the future of the QB position.
ok, sounds decent enough (although I see you didnt put Green in that group)

beans,
dude give it a rest.

Originally posted by Prodigy
Alabama State lost their top defensive player and top running back
ummmm JSU lost their top defensive player and top 2 running backs, right?
sweep....door

btw,
what top RB did ASU lose?

so _ _ _ that some of you jsu people are so paranoid and ASSume that somebody is out to smack yall.
:(

You didnt lose a top RB cause you dont have one.
And you dont have a line
A QB
or a defense'
You finished in last place
When are you going to come to grips with that?

post....well at least we beat JSU over here------>

Serious comment/question:

In your Spring game, Bell decided to work on the running game. Was this just for the Spring game or did the entire spring workout emphasize the run? I'm wondering if Bell (since he didn't recruit Kent) is not as "sold" on Kent's ability as a quarterback/team leader as the previous staff. Will he go with one of the backups if Kent does falter (with interceptions) or shows an "attitude" over the shift to a running game?

Sometimes a new coach and qb have philosopical differences when the new coach tries to "rein in" the qb. I think of Grossman (or whatever his name was) at Florida and the new coach Zook. Dude (qb) checked off on plays that were sent in and had the team divided in it's loyalty. If this happens, how will Bell (with Culberson's permission) handle it?

Back