Jordan shares thoughts on big scoring nights

Blacknbengal

Jordan shares thoughts on big scoring nights

NEW YORK (AP) - When it comes to scoring points, Michael Jordan is an expert.

So he couldn't help but delight in Kobe Bryant putting up 81 and a New York high schooler going wild for 113.

Still, Jordan insisted things would have been a bit different if he'd been guarding Bryant.

"If I was on the other side, there's no way I would have been in at the end of that game without six fouls," Jordan said Tuesday. "I don't know if I could have given up 81 points and not fouled out of the game."

Bryant's total in a come-from-behind victory over Toronto last month was the second-highest in NBA history.

Epiphanny Prince set a national girls' record last week in a game that was a rout from the start. Some complained her performance in such a one-sided contest was an example of poor sportsmanship.

"I can't fault the young lady for scoring 113 points when she goes out each and every minute to play the game hard," Jordan said. "If you're going to fault anybody, fault the coach for not taking her out of the game."

5316244_36_3.jpg

Seen here in a game in 1998, Michael Jordan says he might have fouled out before letting Kobe Bryant get to 81 points. (Vince Bucci / Getty Images)

The former Chicago Bulls star was in town to announce the players for his high school showcase, the Jordan All-American Classic, set for April 22 at Madison Square Garden.

Jordan was so impressed by Prince - one of the top prep players in the nation - he's contemplating adding a girls' event next year.

"I think that she's going to innovate this game," he said. "I think we should give women an opportunity to be recognized."

Jordan, whose NBA career-high was 69, couldn't remember a specific time when people got on him about scoring too much. But he knows there were probably many occasions like that.

Read story

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Umm... MJ... Bosh fouled out and 2 other players had 5 fouls in the game. Did the reporter not tell him that?

"If I had to pick the best player in the game, he certainly is up there right now," Jordan said. "It seems as though he's got the edge over anybody in that position, if not in the league right now."

I wonder why Beans didn't post this part???

I think Hobe is a great player, no so much a great team player...but a great none-the-less. But, there are those who may not agree but Hobe is great in a mediocre league. Jordan, Bird, Johnson were great during a time, when there was alot of greatness.

I guess what I am saying is it's easy to be great when you don't have much to compete against...

that's just like me an accomplished dancer entering an intermediate dance competition...of course I am gonna look spectacular...

So Kobe has nothing to compete against huh? I guess you're saying he's the only great player in the league.

Have you seen TMac play? What about DWade? Lebron? A.I.? Duncan? Garnett? Stoudamire?

jag4life said:
So Kobe has nothing to compete against huh? I guess you're saying he's the only great player in the league.

Have you seen TMac play? What about DWade? Lebron? A.I.? Duncan? Garnett? Stoudamire?

Where's the defense?

How many teams average 100+ points? How many did back in the day?

Defense is much better now than in the past.

jag4life said:

Yes I have seen them play, live on tv, etc on a nightly basis...and I agree they are great players...

But you named what six people...(you forgot Shaq) so I will give you seven...

During Jordan's time...you had Duncan, Magic, Pippen, Shaq was coming in, Olajuwon, Barkley, Bird, I can go on and on and probably on...

But like I said...Hobe is a great player...if only this was one-on-one b-ball

Duncan didn't play when Jordan played...

But ok... I can name more... all you did was add one to the number I gave you...and one of those was on my list.

Reggie Miller, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, David Robinson (didn't retire until after the Laker 3 peat), Vince Carter, Ray Allen... we could all name players who would be great in any era.

ok...you are right as usual...happy

really I am just ready to go eat some of my grandmother's fried chicken so I can't debate with Steven right now

With the abuse those players took back in the 80s, I highly doubt that the players of this era would be great. The allowed fist fights back in the day for crying out loud. :lol:

jag4life said:

Come on now. You guys keep defending a NBA that is no where near the NBA back then. Magic was far superior than any of these point guards. Yall keep getting caught up on if they can high fly. Hell TMac can't even stay healthy. Bernard King send help. Lebron, Tim Duncan, AI, KG and Kobe are all great players. DWade, Stoudamire, Carmelo and a few others would have been second tier all stars back then.

To think about it, I still haven't seen all the high flying that separates these players from 10 -15 years ago. Heck I don't think there is one player who can out leap David Thompson in his prime. This is not football where the kids are bigger and faster. Alot of these kids are actually skinnier than the old heads. Outside of a few of them most come into the league needing some weight on them. I digress. Yall think the NBA is all that now. When in reality it sucks. Nobody is watching. March Madness send help quick. I rather watch Duke and NC play than an NBA game. Case in point. Lebron is in town tonight against KG and the Wolves. Still got tickets available at the Target Center. If that would have been MJ or Magic coming in their prime.............well you know the rest.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dr. Freeze said:
With the abuse those players took back in the 80s, I highly doubt that the players of this era would be great. The allowed fist fights back in the day for crying out loud. :lol:

You got that right. Players like Marbury would quit. LOL

jag4life said:
How many teams average 100+ points? How many did back in the day?

Defense is much better now than in the past.

You don't believe that yourself. Defense isn't better, offense is worse.

Dr. Freeze said:

Freeze, you shole is right

the game was more physical and teams played better defense, but you know what's funny...those teams from the 80s scored more too. Hell the league had to drastically change rules in the last 3-5 years just so more teams can score points.

The Bad boy pistons led the league in scoring defense but still averaged 101 or 102 per game.

This dude just cant keep his mouth shut. Just cant stay out of the light. Let somebody else do their thing man.

Washington Wizzards send help

SimplyRedd said:
I think Hobe is a great player, no so much a great team player...but a great none-the-less. But, there are those who may not agree but Hobe is great in a mediocre league. Jordan, Bird, Johnson were great during a time, when there was alot of greatness.

I guess what I am saying is it's easy to be great when you don't have much to compete against...

that's just like me an accomplished dancer entering an intermediate dance competition...of course I am gonna look spectacular...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JR said:
You got that right. Players like Marbury would quit. LOL

These days you've got cats like Yao Ming averaging 20+ points a game. Hell Hakeem would have scored 81 if he played in the league today.

PsychoJag said:
These days you've got cats like Yao Ming averaging 20+ points a game. Hell Hakeem would have scored 81 if he played in the league today.

Yeah right. Yao is 7'6 with a jumper AND shoots good free throws. It is a disappointment that he averages 20 (actually he's never averaged that much for a full season).

jag4life said:
Yeah right. Yao is 7'6 with a jumper AND shoots good free throws. It is a disappointment that he averages 20 (actually he's never averaged that much for a full season).

But he's SOFT!!!!! Just face it the NBA was more talented back then than it is now. The NBA does not have fundamental skills anymore.

PsychoJag said:
But he's SOFT!!!!! Just face it the NBA was more talented back then than it is now. The NBA does not have fundamental skills anymore.

No. He's s o f capital T

Back