Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2023-2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

J-Settes.JPG

Since 1971, the Prancing J-Settes, affectionately known as the “Thrill of a Billion Eyes”, have been performing across the nation with the world-famous Sonic Boom of the South. Throughout these past 50-plus years, the Prancing J-Settes have continued to significantly impact not only the history of collegiate dance teams of Historically Black Colleges and Universities, but the world of dance overall.

This year, the Prancing J-Settes will host their first formal fundraiser where Project Runway meets the Met Gala, Thee Sette Gala! On February 17, 2023, this fashion show will display the uniforms (past and present) of the Prancing J-Settes while also giving designers and/or seamstresses the opportunity to showcase possible future uniforms and become one of our preferred vendors of choice for the upcoming performance season. Members of the JSU National Alumni Association will have the opportunity to support by attending and engaging in the process of selecting the vendor through this fun and exciting event.

Your attendance would mean the world to The Prancing J-Settes. We hope you will consider supporting our students by purchasing a ticket for this event below. Please note that tickets cannot be purchased on the day of the event.

1676391009230.png

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Last edited:

HBCU band director of the year award is ‘badge of honor’ for Jackson State maestro​

Sonic Boom of the South leader Roderick Little credits musicians for his win

Little began his relationship with the Sonic Boom of the South as a member from 2003-2006, serving as a percussionist in the War and Thunder drumline and eventually becoming a part of the Jackson Five drum major squad. Several years later, Little decided to give back to his alma mater and returned in 2012 as assistant band director. He was promoted to associate director of bands in 2013 and to marching band director in 2015.

Dowell Taylor, Little’s predecessor as director of bands, saw Little’s potential early in his career.

“I had Rod do an arrangement of ‘Georgia on My Mind’ for the 2015 Honda Battle of the Bands for one of the biggest shows of my career, and he arranged the hell out of it,” Taylor said. “At that point, I knew the program was in for a bright, successful future.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back