Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Banner Girl for JSU’s Sonic Boom of the South, crowned Miss Black Mississippi USA

Jackson State University junior Trenity Usher was recently crowned Miss Black Mississippi USA. According to their website, the scholarship pageant is the official state preliminary for the Miss Black USA Scholarship Pageant.

Usher credits her humble beginnings as the motivation to stretch beyond her circumstances and create a future for young siblings. (Photo special to JSU)
“It has been an honor to be a part of this journey. I worked hard to present the best version of myself on competition day,” says Usher, who credits her work ethic and grit toward her prized outcome. “I didn’t know what the competition was going to be like, but I realized I was truly motivated, and this was something I really wanted to do. It was just fitting that I go after a pageant dedicated firmly to Black women.”

A biology pre-medicine major, Usher developed an affinity for pageantry and modeling at an early age. Usher notes that her interest grew from a lack of Black women on television screens and in magazines.

The Atlanta native says she is fueled by a strong urge to provide selfless service to her community and identify professional and personal development opportunities.

HAPPY HOMECOMING 2022
"Enjoy and have fun with Family and Friends"
Your World-Jonathan McReynolds-Intro Only!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

THE HUMAN JUKEBOX​

• Southern's Human Jukebox took the field and didn't have a downfield progression; instead went into intricate geometric shapes (boxes and rectangles) and diamond formations.
  • They performed 'Saturday Love' by Alexander O'Neal and Cherelle.
  • Next, the Fabulous Dancing Dolls was fantastic, with a satisfying routine.
  • The band went into a scramble and dance routine.
  • Overall, I was surprised by the sluggish on-field performance, misalignments, and lack of energy from the Human Jukebox. Maybe it was because of the halftime score or the crowd; I am not accustomed to seeing a passionless Human Jukebox.

THE SONIC BOOM OF THE SOUTH​

• Head Drum Major Marvin Meda and his crew stepped onto the field, ready for action.
  • The SBOTS came out high-stepping and had a clean and full sound.
  • During the downfield procession, SBOTS played a rendition of the Clark Sisters' "You brought me Sunshine."
  • Their diamonds and triangle formations intersected well and had good alignment.
  • SBOTS performed Bruno Mars' version of Lakeside's "Love Train," which had the house rocking.
  • J-Settes had bright-blue leotards with silver embellishments and had a routine full of energy and passion.
  • JSU was the best band on the day!
View: https://twitter.com/ktmoze/status/1586451005494816769?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1586451005494816769%7Ctwgr%5Ead3c0f5b19e879b28c0cac1fdd3a8fba5d96a62e%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fcollege%2Fhbcu%2Fhbcu%2Fboombox-classic-battle-of-the-bands-ranking
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZgsxAl91jE

Last edited:
THE END OF THE ROAD-Cough; Cough;
Incredible Arrangement and Song Selection. Please give us two more verses with the Tuba Solo at the end with the Crowd singing
while Shaking their SHAKERS! This will Rock a Stadium anywhere.
"If you can capture the crowd with a ballard; you got' um" and you did that!

The 2022 Boombox Classic was Phenomenal also please do not lose the Integrity and Structure of the Program Especially after a Halftime Performance.

THE END OF THE ROAD-Cough; Cough;
Incredible Arrangement and Song Selection. Please give us two more verses with the Tuba Solo at..
I agree 100%! That Ballard captured the crowd like none that I can recall witnessing before, they when suddenly...it ended! Lol! Got to extend it a little longer by maybe by cutting a little time off the Boom's dance routine if necessary...(Just a fan and supporter's opinion. Lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back