Jackson State University News

JSU faculty gearing up for the return of students​

Jackson State University welcomed back faculty and staff with a morning full of music, food and fellowship.

The university held its annual fall convocation on Wednesday. JSU English instructor Arna Sines said all she could think about over the summer break was how she can better serve her students.

“What can I do differently? As I encounter things that can help me be more effective in what I do, I try to make a note of that, and how I can incorporate that into my new year,” Sines said.

The theme of the convocation was “Welcome Home to Thee,” and for a lot of the faculty, JSU has been a home for a long time.

“I’ve been working at Jackson State for 10 years, but I’ve been shooting for Jackson State literally since my college days,” said JSU chief photographer Charles A. Smith.

Smith said he is looking forward to capturing the moments of students walking across the stage, and to him, that image is worth a thousand words.

“I like seeing the joy on their faces. The joy on their parents’ faces and the professors being proud of the people they have educated and produced,” Smith said.

Denise Jones Gregory, the new provost vice president of academic affairs was also once in the shoes of the students who came after her.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees has approved a lease agreement to house dozens of Jackson State University Students.

The approval was made Friday evening during a special called meeting.

During the meeting, members of the board approved the lease agreement between Jackson State and the Hilton Garden Jackson Downtown, also known as the King Edward Hotel.

The agreement is for the purpose of housing 56 students from Sept. 1 through Oct. 18.

The board said they were providing the temporary housing while a residential facility is undergoing repairs.

According to JSU Officials, the facility undergoing repairs is One University Place located at the corner of Lynch Street and Dalton Street.

Officials said the facility which formerly served as an apartment complex is being transformed into a modern, student-focused housing.

Back