It's On!!!! Jackson State/Southern Miss....

Taylor-Made'90

I'm 'Citrix SSO' batch!!!
They finally hammered out a deal, renewing the 1987 clash betwee the Tigers and the Golden Eagles. Here's the Clarion-Ledger story.

Eagles, Tigers tie knot for opener

Intrastate football rivals last clashed in intense 1987 game
By Tim Doherty and Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writers

Calvin Younger gave a big thumbs-up to Friday's announcement that his alma mater, Jackson State, would open the 2002 football season against an intrastate, Division I-A opponent for only the second time when the Tigers kick off Aug. 31 at Southern Miss.

But Younger, president of the Blue Bengals booster organization, was less than thrilled that the game was going to be held at 33,000-seat Roberts Stadium in Hattiesburg instead of 62,512 seat Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson.

"I'm sure it's going to be a sellout," Younger said. "My thing is their stadium isn't going to be able to accommodate all the people that are going to be there. The stadium here in Jackson could seat everybody. Both schools would benefit (more) financially if the game was played in Jackson."

The first-ever meeting between one of Mississippi's historically black colleges and one of the state's Division I-A programs in 1987 saw USM claim a tougher-than-expected 17-7 victory before 33,687 spectators crammed into the aisles and end zone bleacher seating that had been trucked in for the game.

It was the largest crowd in Roberts Stadium history at the time and still remains the second-largest crowd to watch a game in Hattiesburg, topped only by the 34,189 that watched Mississippi State stop USM 26-23 in 1989.

A sellout in Jackson would mean nearly twice as many people. But as the schools hammered out the final details this week on a one-year contract that will give USM six home games for the first time since 1982, the chances of a USM-JSU game in Jackson, this fall or down the road, grew dim.

"Yes, we talked about different options," USM athletic director Richard Giannini said. "But as important as the Jackson market is to Southern Miss, with Jackson State being a I-AA (program), we felt like the game needed to be here."

It also will mean a fairly potent 1-2 punch to open USM's season, with Illinois following JSU to Hattiesburg on Sept. 7. That can only help season-ticket sales in Hattiesburg.

"Yeah, but the big thing for us is that it means another home game," USM coach Jeff Bower said. "It's going to be a challenge for us because they've got a very successful program.

"But from what I understand, we were going to play on campus and that was going to be it. I just think we owe it to the people that support us, to Hattiesburg and the business community to keep that game in town."

At the same time, Giannini said that scheduling JSU was a better option for the Golden Eagles than some of the others he had explored to add a 12th game, including road games at Oregon and Oregon State.

"It's a good game for us, a good game for them, a win-win situation for everybody," Giannini said. "It's a game that the entire state will enjoy, with interest going down to every kid in junior high. We'd prefer to play that type of game than an out-of-state (I-AA), if we're going to do that."

JSU will receive a $125,000 guarantee for taking the trip down U.S. 49 South. That's considered the normal going rate for guarantees between I-A schools in a home-and-home series. For example, over a two-year period, where USM and Louisville play, USM would receive that amount for playing at Louisville, with the Cardinals receiving a similar check when they visited the Golden Eagles the following year.

The renewal of the JSU-USM rivalry had been in the works for a while, as The Clarion-Ledger first reported the likelihood of the 2002 season-opening contest in November. JSU football coach Robert Hughes said while he was glad JSU was playing USM again, he would have liked to have seen it played in Jackson.

"It should have been played here this year because we played there last time," Hughes said. "If not, it should be home and home."

Mike Rodgers of Hattiesburg, a long-time Golden Eagle fan, took a wait-and-see attitude on any long-term relationship between JSU and USM on the football field.

"I'm all for it," Rodgers said of Friday's deal. "I'm looking forward to a sellout, looking forward to a good win, and looking forward to a good warmup game before we play Illinois (in Hattiesburg on Sept. 7). Now, as far as anything beyond that, like a home-and-home, I'd want to wait on that and see how everything goes."

JSU, which had opened the past four seasons with Howard, will face a much more difficult challenge in USM. But that's just fine by JSU running back Nathan McLaurin.

"I would prefer to play them in Jackson, but it really doesn't matter to me as long as we get to play them," he said. "I'm looking forward to it. Playing better competition will let us know where we stand."

Giannini didn't completely rule out future games with the Tigers.

"It was a good situation in 1987, and I think it will be a good situation in 2002," Giannini said. "It might be that's it's a good situation down the road, too."

JSU athletic director Roy Culberson said a sellout this year might make USM more open to playing again.

"It would just be a matter of us getting together and reaching an agreement," Culberson said. "I hope we can develop a home-and-home with USM in the future."

The present-day USM Golden Eagles are light-years ahead of what they used to be.Did you see what Tulane did to SU?If JSU is going to have a chance in this game,the DEFENSE will have to show up.;)

This Suck!

There is no reason why the game should be at USM... They know it will be a sellout in either location. SO why not have it in Jackson where we can double the amount of people there....

:rolleyes: :tdown:

USM will almost never play JState in Jackson, even if we made it THEIR Home game. That would be too much like 'right'. USM has a decided advantage playing in Hattiesburg, and they aren't going to give it up. I can't blame 'em. If I was USM, I wouldn't move the game either.

But what's gonna happen is this: JState fans will invade Hattiesburg. Just how we did in '87. You couldn't move. There were people EVERYWHERE!!! Every aisle, every walkway, along the fence, on top of the bleachers, even hanging out of the dorm-room windows. Hattiesburg came to a stand-still STOP when JState went down there. And it'll be that way again.

And I believe with the offense we've got coming back, and if we get any kind of defense, we'll beat USM. They lost their entire OL to graduation, and with it being the first game, they'll be inexperienced. And with as many starters as we have coming back, I like our chances. We lost in '87 because the referee's got in the game. Statistically, JState dominated USM in '87, but two or three bad calls (and some flat-out cheating) cost us the game....

But it's on now BABY!!!!!!!!:splat:

No matter how good you are JSU, you will not win

They will not let you win.
"I'm all for it," Rodgers said of Friday's deal. "I'm looking forward to a sellout, looking forward to a good win, and looking forward to a good warmup game before we play Illinois (in Hattiesburg on Sept. 7). Now, as far as anything beyond that, like a home-and-home, I'd want to wait on that and see how everything goes."
Excuse my saying so, but it looks like they're trying to pimp y'all and so far doing a good job. Of course it won't mean a thing if you win. But you'll be playing in their house by their rules. GOOD LUCK. Win for the HBCUs.

Nice matchup but I don't see the business benefit for JSU. $150K is basically a JSU home game with less than 15K fans. It's obvious USM is never coming to Jackson so this game will not solve that situation.

Seems like USM gets a guaranteed sellout at the expense of JSU fans. I could understand a smaller I-AA program with no fanbase but JSU could easily make this kind of money in Jackson.

Originally posted by Jag Voice
Nice matchup but I don't see the business benefit for JSU. $150K is basically a JSU home game with less than 15K fans. It's obvious USM is never coming to Jackson so this game will not solve that situation.

Seems like USM gets a guaranteed sellout at the expense of JSU fans. I could understand a smaller I-AA program with no fanbase but JSU could easily make this kind of money in Jackson.
Do you wanna be our A. D.??? This is the exact same thing I thought to myself when I heard about the deal a few days ago. If it were a home and home and we got $125K, great. But a one game deal for that is pathetic. Like you say, we could easily make that in a home game against anybody. And the 1st game of the year will definitely pull in more than 15K.

20,000 fans @ $15 = $300,000 (JSU tickets are $15 before the game, $20 day of. Reserved was more expensive.)

After exenses we would do a helluva lot better than $125K. Our A.D. is dumber than Hughes. And he talked such a good game when he was hired.

USM got over on us.:bawling:

JSU, please represent.

I too agree that playing in Hattisburg is ludicris. JSU/Jackson venue is the logical choice that would maximize the interest in this game.

JSU, you must pull a "Troy State" and upset USM like TSU upset MS State.

I have marked this one on the calendar and will be pulling for JSU to beat Southern Miss.:mad:

Re: JSU, please represent.

Originally posted by Bartram
I too agree that playing in Hattisburg is ludicris. JSU/Jackson venue is the logical choice that would maximize the interest in this game.

JSU, you must pull a "Troy State" and upset USM like TSU upset MS State.

I have marked this one on the calendar and will be pulling for JSU to beat Southern Miss.:mad:
Please remember that Jock is our coach.

This is a classic example of the so called <b>Mississippi Big 3</b> getting over on the other schools in the state (not just HBCUs). Everybody knows that if that game was in Jackson, it would be the biggest game in the state of Mississippi!! Bigger than that "Egg Bowl" thing!!
But USM used the fact that they are a 1-A school to its advantage. They flashed some cash in front of JSU's A.D. and he bit like a fish taking the bait!!
I would have told USM to, <b>"Kiss my arse!! If it's not in Jackson, we'll find someone else to play!! Either it's in Jackson or you don't get JACKSON STATE!!! It can be your home game but it has to be in Jackson!!</b>

No matter. Robber, I'm going to need your cellphone number so I can get ready to plan my trip to the game!! I'll meet you somewhere in Jackson and I'll follow you down there!! And have me a JSU pom-pom (I don't like JSU but I can't stand the <b>Big 3</b> so I'll support the lesser of the two evils)!!! :lmao:

If the SWAC was eligible for the playoffs in 2002 this game might make more sense because then JSU would be increasing their strength of schedule dramatically. But since you clowns are just trying to get enough conference wins to make the SCG, I don't get it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why play patsy for the Dwight Mann if you're not even gonna make some real dough from it? At least FAMU is getting $400k for their beatdown against Miami.

a few things to consider:

1) There was never any chance of this game being played in Jackson. When was the last time any Div-1A school played on the road against a Div 1-AA school?? Its never happened anywhere. USM would've been crazy to consider playing the game in Jackson. I don't too much mind playing in H'burg because its only 1 1/2 hours away from Jackson, and unless they pull a Southern with the ticket sales, We shouldn't have any problem with getting a good JSU crowd there.

2) The oppurtunity to play and beat in-state school that we sometimes go head to head against recruiting-wise can only be positive for our program. Despite our obvious coaching problem, an upset of USM isn't out of the question. Talent wise, we match up ok with them everywhere except special teams.

3) 125K is meager money, but i'll take that and a compettative game over 400K and a beat down(FAMU vs Miami) anyday. That extra 275K isn't worth getting embarrased.

In my opinion, this games, despite its money flaws, is a good thing for the JSU program. If only we had a head coach....

Originally posted by bornthrilla
If the SWAC was eligible for the playoffs in 2002 this game might make more sense because then JSU would be increasing their strength of schedule dramatically. But since you clowns are just trying to get enough conference wins to make the SCG, I don't get it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Why play patsy for the Dwight Mann if you're not even gonna make some real dough from it? At least FAMU is getting $400k for their beatdown against Miami.
First of all, we ain't playing Miami. USM ain't got two nickels to rub together. They'd have to take out a mortgage to pay $400K. That's why I'm so pissed. We make more money from our home games than they do on theirs, I bet.

Have y'all seen our schedule????

Somebody must've gotten Culberson drunk? How's he gonna schedule 12 games!!!! With 3 on the road, then Nwestern St. at home!!!!! I was looking forward to the USM game simply from the 'black against white' standpoint. But I see I better enjoy that game, 'cause unless JState shows up wearing Miami underoos, they'll be beat-up by the time Valley comes to town. What a ridiculous schedule.....:mad:

This what you do to get respect for your program when you play for nothing at the end of the year like we do in the SWAC. I am not advocating for the playoffs, but when you don't play this type of competition at the end of the season, you have to play it during the season.

The answer to all of your concerns is simple. JSU has got to win or at least scare the daylights out of USM. Just as SU has got to beat Tulane. Conference USA is a second rate 1-A program who is closer to JSU than they are to Miami. Lets win and show them.

Kick their azz, and they will pay JSU to come to Jackson.

Winning changes everything.

Mr. Thrilla,
Hasn't playing pasty for the white man all the MEAC has been doing in the 1-AA playoffs for the past several years. Yeah a win here, a win there, but for what? His respect? Tell me truly, what have you gained from the playoffs? What have you accomplished by playing in the playoffs what JSU can not accomplish by beefing up its schedule and giving its super-star quarterback a chance to show his mettle against top flight competition.

If the SWAC is not going to change its program of operation, then this is truly the way for us to go. There are no Division II programs in the future of JSU.

My hat is off to any AD or coach who is not willing to pad his schedule with puffs to keep a winning record at the mercy of his legitimacy.

I SAY FUGG U.S.M. It's clear to see what they are tryin to do. This dude talkin about "IT WILL BE A GOOD WARM-UP GAME FOR ILLINOIS" This Muth**uka "dun" pissed me off. I'm ready to go down there tommorrow. lol. Fugg them bassstards. Who the hell they think they......What the fuggg......lol. I'll kick somebody...........Dayum muth.............This JSU BI*tch...........Somebody better talk to them bois down there at USM. It's not about the money to me. I wanna go down there and beat the SHAT out of U.S.M. on their own campus. Dayum overrated arses. We'll see. I CAN'T WAIT.........................................GET CRUNK IN THIS MUTHA******

lol

*just wanted to generate a little more hype*
lol

A liitle less emotion and a little more logic would be appropraite here.

USM will kill JSU. The only question is how bad.

Let's not forget that you still don't even have a D2 cailber special teams and you face some serious question marks on defense.

In 2001 JSU played 4 decent teams and subsequetly lost to them all. Kent threw mutiple interceptions against GSU, Tennesee State,A&T and ASU-- which contributed to the loses. In addition to that, Hughes is still the worst coach in college football.

Bottom line: JSU has yet to prove they can win big games against quailty opponents.

....while you are concerned with who we lose against, remember that A&T has yet to prove that they can win big games against non quality opponents.
Morgan State vs A&T 52-42(finished 2-8)
SCSU vs A&T 15-14 (finished 6-5)

instead of concern drawing towards JSU's schedule worry about A&T's simple schedule. Its gets old when u compete at the same level consistently....there is nothing wrong with playing quality opponents.

When A&T upgrades its schedule then talk!!!

u played
Elon(2-8)
and NCCU (DIV II)

along with your conference members.... lets talk about difficulty of schedule....

til the next time... hold your tongue!!!

..But we have proved we can beat your scrub team.

BTW: We also go on the road this season to face Portland State, which is a perenial top 25 team.

They finshed second in the Big Sky last year at 7-4 and almost beat Grambling.

Originally posted by bornthrilla
..But we have proved we can beat your scrub team.

BTW: We also go on the road this season to face Portland State, which is a perenial top 25 team.

They finshed second in the Big Sky last year at 7-4 and almost beat Grambling.
So, is white boy 7-4 better than HBCU 7-4???

Back