It's Official!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dr. Freeze said:
Why Birmingham, AL? No offense, but why? It should be in GA or DC or NYC. This is just my humble opinion.

I believe they signed a contract to have the first few games in Birmingham. I don't aggree with the decision either. Birmingham is not a great sale for this game. However, this years game will actually be the two best HBCU teams.

The contract that was signed initially called for the first 4 years to be in Birmingham. As constantly stated on this board, if any other cities will put packages together for such, then it wont be an issue as to where said games are played. Just so all will know, if I am not mistaken, the SWAC BBall Tournament contract will be up for play after this tournament in 2 weeks. And I am pretty sure the Presidents are looking for other venues. Those of you that can weld some form of influence need to step to your city's movers and shakers to put a proposal in and see what happens.

majiksity said:
Those of you that can weld some form of influence need to step to your city's movers and shakers to put a proposal in and see what happens.

The Harris County Sports Authority tried a couple of years ago. I wonder if they are still interested.

majiksity said:
The contract that was signed initially called for the first 4 years to be in Birmingham. As constantly stated on this board, if any other cities will put packages together for such, then it wont be an issue as to where said games are played. Just so all will know, if I am not mistaken, the SWAC BBall Tournament contract will be up for play after this tournament in 2 weeks. And I am pretty sure the Presidents are looking for other venues. Those of you that can weld some form of influence need to step to your city's movers and shakers to put a proposal in and see what happens.

Until katrina, I would have been pushing for Biloxi for the b-ball tourney. but now, I don't know.

C-LeB28 said:
The Harris County Sports Authority tried a couple of years ago. I wonder if they are still interested.

hell no.... basketball and texas is an oxymoron.... go after baseball or track :)

Dr. Freeze said:
Why Birmingham, AL? No offense, but why? It should be in GA or DC or NYC.

How many SWAC and MEAC schools are there in Georgia and New York? Last time I checked, there was ZERO.

DC is not a bad option, but forget about playing the game in a state that does not fall within the footprint of the conference, i.e. GA and NY.

Dr. Freeze said:
Why Birmingham, AL? No offense, but why? It should be in GA or DC or NYC.

How many SWAC and MEAC schools are there in Georgia and New York? I think the number is approximately ZERO.

DC is not a bad option, but forget about playing the game in a state that does not fall within the footprint of the conference, i.e. GA and NY.

Deuce said:
How many SWAC and MEAC schools are there in Georgia and New York? I think the number is approximately ZERO.

:xeye:

I disagree with that completely. The ATL Football classic is played here every year and they consistently draw 65K. There aren't any MEAC schools here either. The destination can help with the draw as long as it's in the region. Now if they played the game in LA then I would have questions. But GA and NYC are in the respective regions and would be better sites IMO.

I wonder if ESPN had anything to do with this game finally getting done.

To answer to your question BigCat, ESPN had everything to with this game - and the other future games in this series. Just like you have made for TV games with other conferences, this is the exact same thing. And as I said earlier, they have stipulated that the first 4 years of this challenge will be held in Birmingham.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
hell no.... basketball and texas is an oxymoron.... go after baseball or track :)

Man are you wrong about that..... I guess C Leb didn't feel like doing the history thing tonight. :lol: :emlaugh:

if the swac basketball tourney leaves b'ham where are you going to move it? I mean, they are playing in a 20k seat arena that allows the teams to get used to playing in a big venue like they would see in the ncaa tourney. I live in biloxi and for selfish reasons it would be nice for it to be here. I could almost walk to the game, but that wouldn't be best for the conference. that would be like concluding your conference tourney a day or 2 b/f the play in game....wait...that's what we do now. the only other place other than on campus facilities on some of our campuses (jsu, bama state, su, eventually gram) that you would want to have it in the footprint is in the n.o. arena (the green house). really they need to do what a lot of the smaller conferences do. allow the reg season champ to host the conference tourney. that way you maximize the probability that you'll be sending your best representitve to the tourney.

major095 said:
if the swac basketball tourney leaves b'ham where are you going to move it? I mean, they are playing in a 20k seat arena that allows the teams to get used to playing in a big venue like they would see in the ncaa tourney. I live in biloxi and for selfish reasons it would be nice for it to be here. I could almost walk to the game, but that wouldn't be best for the conference. that would be like concluding your conference tourney a day or 2 b/f the play in game....wait...that's what we do now. the only other place other than on campus facilities on some of our campuses (jsu, bama state, su, eventually gram) that you would want to have it in the footprint is in the n.o. arena (the green house). really they need to do what a lot of the smaller conferences do. allow the reg season champ to host the conference tourney. that way you maximize the probability that you'll be sending your best representitve to the tourney.

i agree with you

Deuce said:

Duece, while NY doesn't have a team in either conference, that area has supported HBCU football for years, and in good numbers. As a matter of fact, the last time that Gram played Hampton in the Whitney Young Classic up there, there were at least 60k fans at the game.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not advocating where the game is played at all, but NY wouldn't be a bad destination. Actually, I think in early September B'ham is not bad, the weather is nice, and people are anxious for some football.

The question should be, how will the Hampton folk travel for this game, since it's in B'ham.

NICE

Back