Initial NCAA award goes to Alcorn coach

Prodigy

Boss
July 9, 2002
www.clarionledger.com

Initial NCAA award goes to Alcorn coach

Alcorn State men's basketball coach Dave Whitney has been named the first recipient the NCAA Hall of Champions Journey Award.

The award, presented to Whitney Saturday in Indianapolis, was created to honor those who have encouraged excellence in college student-athletes.

"I was surprised," said Whitney, who announced in March that next season will be his last on The Reservation. "It's a tremendous honor. It reflects on the kids I've coached. If it weren't for them, I would've never gotten this type of award."

Whitney, 72, is the oldest African-American head college basketball coach in the country. He is 496-274 in 26 seasons at Alcorn State and 551-337 in 31 seasons overall. He has has guided Alcorn to 12 SWAC regular-season titles, seven SWAC Tournament titles and six NCAA Tournament appearances.

Alcorn finished 21-10 this past season and won the regular season and tournament titles. The Braves have won three of the last four SWAC regular season titles.

Congrats to Coach Whitney...

..but I thought Eddie Robinson of GSU was going to get that award. He's a shoe-in.

:bawling:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back