IHL names preferred candidate for president opening at Jackson State

Bruh, I was pro Dr. Minor in this search from beginning. He was my colleague and I think he would do a great job. However, I find it crazy that black people would try to belittle another black man and question his credentials and intelligence because he was not their choice. Bynum was not my choice but I aint about drag the man through the mud.

I don't understand why the paper bag test is still being used today. No matter what shade of black, ALL Black folks today are in desperate need of good leadership.

B9327888354Z.1_20170602105436_000_GITIJ00RU.1-0.jpg

ready for Ford-Kee at Valley to become AD? lol

her and Bynum go back to the Lincoln days.

I would hope they are smart enough to know this WILL happen. I know she applied for the AD job before. Bynum being president at JSU now makes that easier.

I said it before on Facebook and here but I will say it again. We appreciate his service but trust me there aren't a lot of people sad to see him go. He's your problem now lol

What Valley, Alcorn and JSU need to do is keep their eye on the bigger prize and get ourselves at the table on the IHL board. The wild card is the W and whether they will come along for the ride.

Analysis: Jackson State mess may prompt changes to searches

Trustees now say they're going to consider changes in how they select campus leaders. But while unhappy Jackson State alumni say trustees should give each school's supporters more voice in choosing, the outcome could be just the opposite

Where the Jackson State selection began to run off the rails was when the eight campus members who took part in interviews all united behind JSU alumnus James T. Minor, a former deputy assistant secretary for higher education programs in President Barack Obama's administration and now a senior strategist with the California State University system.

Trustees didn't want to choose Minor or the other two finalists. Instead, they chose William Bynum, the current president of Mississippi Valley State University, who didn't get past the first round of interviews.

Bynum was attractive because he improved Valley's finances while reversing an enrollment decline that was imperiling Mississippi's smallest public university. A financial crisis at Jackson State is prompting layoffs and consolidations of academic departments after previous President Carolyn Meyers overspent revenue. So Bynum's financial record was clearly attractive. Plus, he was already known to the board.

Multiple people accused trustees of transferring Bynum as part of an effort to revive proposals to merge JSU, Valley and Alcorn State University. And it doesn't help the situation that none of the 12 trustees are alumni of the three universities.

Trustees are likely to discuss changes to presidential searches at their annual September retreat. And that will be none too soon, because now they must find a new leader for Valley.

I see you people in Mississippi do things a little different when it comes to selecting university presidents.

By you you mean the IHL lol. The only way things will change is via the court systems (JSU already started that process) or Mississippi ending up like Louisiana or Kansas (tanking economy). I'll put my money on the former with some type of litigation forcing Mississippi to ensure all 8 schools are equally represented on the IHL and/or letting each school have their own BOT

Former president Carolyn Meyers resigned last year, days after trustees intervened in Jackson State finances, citing dwindling cash reserves. Current Mississippi Valley State University President William Bynum was chosen by trustees last month as the new president over the objections of some faculty, students and alumni. He takes over from Paige on July 1. Minutes show trustees have agreed to boost Bynum's salary to $375,000 a year. Bynum now makes $225,000 at Valley, while Meyers was making $270,500 at Jackson State.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...o-cut-budget-and-borrow-money-to-aid-finances

By you you mean the IHL lol. The only way things will change is via the court systems (JSU already started that process) or Mississippi ending up like Louisiana or Kansas (tanking economy). I'll put my money on the former with some type of litigation forcing Mississippi to ensure all 8 schools are equally represented on the IHL and/or letting each school have their own BOT
Seems like the IHL has opened a can of worms they didn't intend to.

So.................How does IHL justify a $150,000 raise for Bynum at a school that is millions in the hole.........(maybe it is just me......)

Apparently, there is a master-plan that must be carried out for that $150,000......I could be wrong though......

Bynum received the raise as a "thatta boy" from the IHL The raise wasn't based on Bynum's qualifications; Meyers was more qualified than Bynum, be he receives a $150,000 raise. :confused:

Bynum is probably the most least qualified person ever to assume the office of President at JSU.

Last edited:
Greetings Jackson State University,

I write you today as the blessed, thankful and honored 11th president of THEE! At 12:01 July 1st, I was approaching Yazoo City after having attended the 50th Pastoral Anniversary of my friend, spiritual and fraternal brother Rev. Dr. Harvey Jackson at the Fred B. Clark Fellowship Hall of the Lampton Street Church in Mound Bayou. I pulled off to the side of the road, prayed and thanked God for his continued blessings, and fully began to grasp the awesome responsibility of leading one of the finest universities in the country and State of Mississippi.

At about 1 am, I arrived at 1400 Lynch Street and the beautiful, well-lit and secured campus of "Jackson Fair, Jackson Dear." I pulled into the gates of the Fannie Lou Hamer Guest House, aka the JSU President's home, and enjoyed the splendor of the well-manicured and landscaped grounds as I thanked God for traveling mercy. I awakened at 8:30 am and began my day with prayer by the pond on the property and like a kid at Christmas, took numerous pictures of the house and grounds to share with family and friends.

My first public appearance as the 11th president of JSU was indeed a special and memorable one, the Homegoing Celebration for Archon Dr. Jimmy James, Jr., a two-time fraternity brother (Omega & Boule) at Pearl Street AME Church. The Jackson State family 'showed up & showed out' to pay tribute and homage to a legend of the University and Jackson community. While the entire service was nice, truly a highlight for me and others, was listening to former students and friends play and sing, what a 'joyful noise' unto the Lord and clear expression of Dr. James' gift and service to JSU & humankind.

Today and every day, I thank God for this awesome career blessing and opportunity to continue to fulfil my call and purpose in life, higher education. During my tenure at Jackson State, you will continuously hear, see and observe me emphasizing daily three foundational principles: 1) Student-Centeredness - putting students first and foremost; 2) Teamwork & Collegiality - removing silos and working across divisional & constituency lines; and 3) The Pursuit of Excellence - "raising the bar" educationally & operationally.

Jackson State University is truly a diamond of higher education and the State of Mississippi, and I promise to 24/7/365 work for and cherish her as such. Together, WE will continue to enhance JSU and build upon the great work of our ancestors and predecessors at OUR "dear ole college home."

Hail, Hail to Thee,

William B. Bynum, Jr., Ph.D.
11th President
Jackson State University

"Look back and Thank God. Look forward and Trust God. Look around and Serve God. Look within and Find God."

Greetings Jackson State University,

I write you today as the blessed, thankful and honored 11th president of THEE! At 12:01 July 1st, I was approaching Yazoo City after having attended the 50th Pastoral Anniversary of my friend, spiritual and fraternal brother Rev. Dr. Harvey Jackson at the Fred B. Clark Fellowship Hall of the Lampton Street Church in Mound Bayou. I pulled off to the side of the road, prayed and thanked God for his continued blessings, and fully began to grasp the awesome responsibility of leading one of the finest universities in the country and State of Mississippi.

At about 1 am, I arrived at 1400 Lynch Street and the beautiful, well-lit and secured campus of "Jackson Fair, Jackson Dear." I pulled into the gates of the Fannie Lou Hamer Guest House, aka the JSU President's home, and enjoyed the splendor of the well-manicured and landscaped grounds as I thanked God for traveling mercy. I awakened at 8:30 am and began my day with prayer by the pond on the property and like a kid at Christmas, took numerous pictures of the house and grounds to share with family and friends.

My first public appearance as the 11th president of JSU was indeed a special and memorable one, the Homegoing Celebration for Archon Dr. Jimmy James, Jr., a two-time fraternity brother (Omega & Boule) at Pearl Street AME Church. The Jackson State family 'showed up & showed out' to pay tribute and homage to a legend of the University and Jackson community. While the entire service was nice, truly a highlight for me and others, was listening to former students and friends play and sing, what a 'joyful noise' unto the Lord and clear expression of Dr. James' gift and service to JSU & humankind.

Today and every day, I thank God for this awesome career blessing and opportunity to continue to fulfil my call and purpose in life, higher education. During my tenure at Jackson State, you will continuously hear, see and observe me emphasizing daily three foundational principles: 1) Student-Centeredness - putting students first and foremost; 2) Teamwork & Collegiality - removing silos and working across divisional & constituency lines; and 3) The Pursuit of Excellence - "raising the bar" educationally & operationally.

Jackson State University is truly a diamond of higher education and the State of Mississippi, and I promise to 24/7/365 work for and cherish her as such. Together, WE will continue to enhance JSU and build upon the great work of our ancestors and predecessors at OUR "dear ole college home."

Hail, Hail to Thee,

William B. Bynum, Jr., Ph.D.
11th President
Jackson State University

"Look back and Thank God. Look forward and Trust God. Look around and Serve God. Look within and Find God."

Something just isn't right with Bynum! He needs to relax and breathe in a couple of times. :(

Why u say that lol

JSU is a state supported institution, mentioning God about six times in his letter to alumni is an overkill. I know Bynum lacks the class and intellect of Ronald Mason, but common sense should tell Bynum, many of us don't share his beliefs!

Metaphorically speaking, we don't want Bynum forcing his religious beliefs down our throats! :(

Last edited:
JSU is a state supported institution, mentioning God about six times in his letter to alumni is an overkill. I know Bynum lacks the class and intellect of Ronald Mason, but common sense should tell Bynum, many of us don't share his beliefs!

Metaphorically speaking, we don't want Bynum forcing his religious beliefs down our throats! :(
He is in Mississippi. No one with any authority will complain about that.

He thinks JSU is like Valley. When you evoke the word God in the rural Delta everyone says Amen. Jackson State is an urban University, it doesn't work like that at Jackson State.

e thinks JSU is like Valley. When you evoke the word God in the rural Delta everyone says Amen. Jackson State is an urban University, it doesn't work like that at Jackson State.

No, he didn't get his desired effect. There were no Amens! Actually, I thought he was kinda feeling the audience out to see what would work being that he knew he was a stranger in our midst who had been given the keys to the University by the IHL. I also remember him using an Ebonics term in one of his speeches that day and then for emphasis immediately repeated the word and told the audience: "Yes I said..." I didn't quite get his point there either.

Last edited:
No, he didn't get his desired effect. There were no Amens! Actually, I thought he was kinda feeling the audience out to see what would work being that he knew he a stranger in our midst who had been given the keys to the University by the IHL. I also remember him using an Ebonics term in one of his speeches that day and then for emphasis immediately repeated the word and told the audience: "Yes I said..." I didn't quite get his point there either.

Wow! Sad days ahead for JSU.

Back