I wanted to know if anyone is running a wireless network at their home?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I AM TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED; I KEEP TELLIN YOU THAT

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

:lmao:

You all are killing me.

Computers started off as a hobby of mine, that turned into a job that I hate. I am doing this side stuff to that I can enjoy an old hobby. I only run Microsoft at home. I work in an Unix IT group, I hate my job so I don?t want unix at my home. I worked for SUN but I left Sun because my manager was a jerk and this company Paid me to raise up.

Alright!!!!! :mad: Let's cut the crap!!! :mad:

This is what you do. If you're going broadband, buy a <b>nic</b> card for your primary's access (<b>the master</b>). Install a 2nd phone line and have jacks in THOSE rooms where the <b>slaves</b> (sorry for the wording guys, but it truly is a master-slave(s) relationship) and master will exist. There's a card by <b>NetGear</b> that allows you to host other slaves from a primary while sharing resources (map drives, mount file systems, <u>SHARE</u> internet access, etc.) from the master host. Therefore, (hear me nah!!!! :mad: ) <b>a router will not be necessary nor a hub</b>. You can literally USE the installed land-line jacks as your ports for connecting other slave servers/hosts. Be mindful that the software that comes w/ the netgear card still allows voice data to be txferred in a different spectrum than the data spectrum over the <b>SAME</b> physical wired pair. Therefore, (yep) one can still talk on the land-line while still surfing/retrieve/upload data while jointly accessing the same physical wire pair (local telephone <u>monopolies</u> do not want you to know this). You just used your local land line wire pair as ether.

I wish I could upload a nice diagram that details what I just said. I'll try to somewhat diagram it here. Also, the same scheme works for DSL as it does broadband (even wireless dialup). The slaves will only reference the master's connectivity src as required and they are independent (yet DEPENDENT) of the master, i.e., netgear client software is smart enough to allow the ISP to assign individual IPs to all slaves and the master as well. That's powerful.

<font size=1>
[CUT]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<pre>

+---------+
|HOST-A | connection to cable @ 11Mbs per sec
| (master)| ^
|---------| |
| niccard | --------------- /
| |-------| cable modem |-----
|---------| ---------------
|shareable|
| svcs |
|---------|
| netgear |
| card |-------
+---------+ \
|
V
connection to phone jack in room#1
%%%%%%%% ----- Physical wall w/ land-line phone pair ----- %%%%%%%%%
connection to phone jack in room#2 @ 2Mbs per sec
^
+---------+ |
|HOST-B | |
|(slave#1)| |
|---------| |
|shareable| |
| svcs | |
|---------| |
| netgear | |
| card |-------
+---------+

%%%%%%%% ----- Physical wall w/ land-line phone pair ----- %%%%%%%%%
connection to phone jack in room#3 @ 2Mbs per sec
^
+---------+ |
|HOST-C | |
|(slave#2)| |
|---------| |
|shareable| |
| svcs | |
|---------| |
| netgear | |
| card |-------
+---------+
</pre>
</font>
Hope it's understood and I h8 computers. :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Re: Re: ??????

Originally posted by docmump

On a side note: PV what OS flavors do you have at home? I suspect you are not only running Microsoft products. Others can jump in if OS other than Windows XX.

:)

Don't put to much faith in others, go learn it yourself.

The direct site computer communication that you are referring to is called ad-hoc. I smell a mini-wireless class:

Ad-Hoc mode allows computers equipped with wireless transmitters and receivers to communicate directly with each other, eliminating the need for an access point. The drawback of Ad-Hoc mode is in the fact that wireless equipped computers are not able to communicate with computers on a wired network. And communication between the wireless-equipped computers is limited by the distance and interference between the wireless computers.

If the computers on the wireless network need to be accessible by a wired network or need to share a peripheral, such as a printer, then you would want to set the wireless card to the Infrastructure mode. The basis of Infrastructure mode centers around an access point, which serves as the main point of communications in a wireless network. Access points transmit data to Computers equipped with wireless network adapters, which can roam within a certain radial range of the access point.

Infrastructure is the route that I will take.

My WAP/Router/Switch arrived today during lunch.

Much Security has been Implemented in the WAP and the Wireless card. You have data encryption, service set id?s, etc. You can think of it, it has more than likely been implemented into this technology. If security is a concern reading the user manual will give you the fussy warm feeling.

Originally posted by Panthro
Alright!!!!! :mad: Let's cut the crap!!! :mad:

This is what you do. If you're going broadband, buy a <b>nic</b> card for your primary's access (<b>the master</b>). Install a 2nd phone line and have jacks in THOSE rooms where the <b>slaves</b> (sorry for the wording guys, but it truly is a master-slave(s) relationship) and master will exist. There's a card by <b>NetGear</b> that allows you to host other slaves from a primary while sharing resources (map drives, mount file systems, <u>SHARE</u> internet access, etc.) from the master host. Therefore, (hear me nah!!!! :mad: ) <b>a router will not be necessary nor a hub</b>. You can literally USE the installed land-line jacks as your ports for connecting other slave servers/hosts. Be mindful that the software that comes w/ the netgear card still allows voice data to be txferred in a different spectrum than the data spectrum over the <b>SAME</b> physical wired pair. Therefore, (yep) one can still talk on the land-line while still surfing/retrieve/upload data while jointly accessing the same physical wire pair (local telephone <u>monopolies</u> do not want you to know this). You just used your local land line wire pair as ether.

[

That is great but do you still have to pay the monthly fee of having the second phone line. If so how am I saving money? A phone line cost me about $45 per month if I don?t make any calls from the second line.

Very good summation detailing the need/non-need for an access point.

A 2nd phone line that costs over 45$? :eek2: One can use the primary phone line. If I said buy a 2nd phone line I was referring to moi because I'm using some land-line dialups for access (occasionally) which terminates my receive voice data on the primary line. Use the primary line. The netgear card is overly intelligent and use the "data-only" spectrum of the wired pair. Therefore, you'll still be able to use the voice spectrum of the wired pair (for talking). Will the LTO still be able to send the "ring" wattage to cause your land-line to ring and not determine that a "busy" or "off-hook" condition exists? Well.... :smh:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I AM TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED; I KEEP TELLIN YOU THAT

Originally posted by pv_symbiotic

Computers started off as a hobby of mine, that turned into a job that I hate. I am doing this side stuff to that I can enjoy an old hobby. I only run Microsoft at home. I work in an Unix IT group, I hate my job so I don?t want unix at my home. I worked for SUN but I left Sun because my manager was a jerk and this company Paid me to raise up.

I too work on SUN's. I am a Systems Administrator here in Houston. I have HP as well. I like the Redhat Linux products. I was shocked too read that you dont do Linux. I thought you may have dipped into it. Try it out if you can stomach it, but it seems like you cant. :lol:

I read your other posts. You Hobbies are very interesting. Let us know how it comes out.

:D

Phase one is complete.

I now had a 4 port 100 Mega bit internal lan. The network performance is exceeded my expectations. Now I am looking at going to First Saturdays here in Dallas and purchasing a Dell server to re-energize my web design career that I didn?t follow up on in 96.

My co-worker says that I may not give the WAP to my parents, because I becoming hooked on the device myself. I will give it to my parents. After I convince my parents into getting a cable modem, which in itself will be a feat.

Today the wireless network card will arrive and I will begin the wireless testing. My testing begin with simple things such as hitting THE FAMU Athletic web page (check it out). Then I will go to FAMCAST and start the halftime performance from 99 homecoming. While that the performance is going on then I will move to the PC and start a download from a peer to peer service. I will post the results of my test.

Dtown Jag before you start, no I did not see a modem for you.

The installation did not go as planned. There were a few glitches software related. The software is having issues. I will remove the driver and software from the laptop and then I will reinstall the software.

The preliminary results look very promising. Last night I was watching videos, chatting and copying files from the pc to the lap all at the same time. I switched the music videos to full screen mode and I was impressed that the music video did not hang or lost its sync. The video stream continued to play at its normal pace in the full screen mode.

Tonight I will be research why the computer would stop receiving data. This issue is either an incorrect install or corrupt XP Operating System install. I will remove and re-install the wireless driver. If that doesn?t solve my problem then I have a corrupt Operation System. If this is the cast, I will have to reinstall the Operation System. DAMN

But, the wireless performance was fantastic. The only drawback was when I activated The Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) feature. WEP gives you the same security as having the network connection over Ethernet cable. WEP slowed performance, because the transmitter had to encrypt the data and the receiver has to decode the data before the laptop could process the data. This problem was caused because I was telling WEP to use 128 bit algorithms to encrypt the data. Using the 128 bit setting took the transmitter and receiver longer to encoding and decoded the packets before transmitting, processing and receiving data. I will set the WEP encryption to 64 bit and request another video stream.

This hobby is giving me a better understanding of computer networks, in addition to wireless networking.

Back