I think ESPN is pretty messy as a whole

Devil's Gun Trigger Man

onward and upward son!
The whole Donovan McNabb thing was just an example. The man was on NFL Live trying to help analyze, then there goes Trey Wingo and asks him something about TO. There have been a whole lot of other instances when someone affiliated with ESPN stirs up something, then they come back and blow the whole situation up farther. (Shaq vs. Kobe, McNabb vs. T.O., Lou Holtz vs. Tommy Tuberville, Michael Irvin vs. Keyshawn Johnson, and the countless other athletes that they have ragged on). What do u guys think?

VERY MESSY !!!!!!!

They want viewings which in turn bring ratings!!!! Expect a T.O. mike irvin retaliation interview in the near future. I still question the timing of McNabb interview.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
The whole Donovan McNabb thing was just an example. The man was on NFL Live trying to help analyze, then there goes Trey Wingo and asks him something about TO. There have been a whole lot of other instances when someone affiliated with ESPN stirs up something, then they come back and blow the whole situation up farther. (Shaq vs. Kobe, McNabb vs. T.O., Lou Holtz vs. Tommy Tuberville, Michael Irvin vs. Keyshawn Johnson, and the countless other athletes that they have ragged on). What do u guys think?

lol..........That is what they're paid to do. :lol: :emlaugh: "sensationalize"

That's pretty much the state of sports journalism across the board, not just ESPN. They're always going to go with the "hot" story, and analyze it ad nauseum. But these are still grown men, just because somebody asks you a question doesn't obligate you to answer.

Nah man... I can listen to Jim Rome's annoying azz...even S. A. Smith... but Dan Patrick is on a whole 'nother level.

jag4life said:
Nah man... I can listen to Jim Rome's annoying azz...even S. A. Smith... but Dan Patrick is on a whole 'nother level.

Jim Rome is cool to me, because for the most part he lets folks have it that deserve it, but the dude I can't stand is that cat Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike that comes on ESPN2 in the morning. At least Mike Golic did play in the NFL so he can talk, but what has Greenberg done? He just comes across as a plucky little annoying guy, kinda like the sports version of David Spade, who I supremely can't stand.

Stephen A. Smith is the first one that comes to mind when I first read this thread... he's as messy as a female when it comes to stuff like that...

These are the instances that stick out in my head:

The whole Michael Irvin/Keyshawn Johnson situation... Michael Irvin was on the show first and he seemed like he was siding with Irvin... then Keyshawn came on the show and he played a clip from Irvin... messy :lmao:

Even recently... he interviewed Jason Kidd... he played a clip of Stephon Marbury (who was on his show a couple of months ago), proclaiming himself to be the best point guard in the NBA and gave a specific reason why he was better than J Kidd when SAS asked that question... messy :lmao:

You guys "shole iz write" about Dan Patrick. There is a reason so many athletes refuse to appear on his show. When he and Keith Olberman get together they gush and giggle like 2 freshman college girls gossiping in a dorm room.
Im still amazed how he TURNED on Michael Irvin when the "latest" crack pipe scandal occured. He had basically convicted the man. I mean.....Michael is a regular guest on his show. He and Michael were supposed to be boys. lol.

I know that Dan Patrick can sensationalize things. But I will take him over Jim Rome.

JROCK said:
lol..........That is what they're paid to do. :lol: :emlaugh: "sensationalize"
That's it. You guys must realize, the networks value ratings like a prostitute value her pu$$y. That's their bread and butter;their gasoline that make them go;the electricty that turns the lights on. Fortune 500 company don't want to place their expensive produced adds on shows and networks that nobody is watching. The movie RUNNING MAN and NETWORK drove that point into their audience.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
EB said:
I know that Dan Patrick can sensationalize things. But I will take him over Jim Rome.

I will take Jim Rome over Skip Bayless and Mark Madden, who used to be on ESPN on Sunday mornings. When Maddan came on the radio, I changed the radio station.

Rome is the type of guy who bad mouths people in the comfort of his studio but when a celebrity calls the show or comes on there he kisses their azz so much you can't tell he's there...I just hate it when a Barry Zito or someone comes on the show, they take over...

Patrick is the same way - especially with Olberman back......my only problem with Irvin is that he wants to dominate the show half the time...

WELL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH I LIKE JIM ROME BECAUSE OF HIS HUMOR AND IF A GUY DESERVES IT THEN HE GETS IT.BUT YOU CAN SAY ONE THING MIKE & MKE THEY ARE VERY KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT THE FACTS.STEPHEN A. SMITH ALWAYS SAY'S THAT HIS SOURCES TELL ME AND THEY SOMETIMES ARE ABSOLUTELY WRONG.YOU HAVE TO CREATE PARODY THAT'S WHY MOST ATHELETES DON'T READ THE FISHWRAP@ ALL.

I was just telling Suge this very thing a few ago. I don't watch Sportscenter as much as I used to, because the show has gone to complete schit. I watch ESPN News, and I'm done with it.

It took Ray Lewis to come out, and say that he was tired of TO & McNabb, and ESPN sticking a mic in anybodies face to get their take on it, before they slowed down with the story.

Let's face it though, as long as people tune in, they're going to keep showing the same ol schit, and keep doing the same ol stuff. ESPN has become too powerful for it's own good. They have a million channels, magazine, radio station, web page (that you have to pay for "inside" information), restaurants, and now cell phone service. It's the Frankenstein of networks, and it's getting stronger.

They've turned regular sportscasters into experts.....Dan Patrick, Mike Lupica, Mike Greenburg, Jay Mariotti, Skip Bayless, Peter Gammons, Mel Kiper, Tim Kurkjian, and the like. Some of their personalities are cool, but the aforementioned act as if they're GM's, owners, coach's/managers, scouts, the schit is ridiculos. It's amazing the influence they have over the American public.

NICE

D-NICE said:
I was just telling Suge this very thing a few ago. I don't watch Sportscenter as much as I used to, because the show has gone to complete schit. I watch ESPN News, and I'm done with it.

It took Ray Lewis to come out, and say that he was tired of TO & McNabb, and ESPN sticking a mic in anybodies face to get their take on it, before they slowed down with the story.

Let's face it though, as long as people tune in, they're going to keep showing the same ol schit, and keep doing the same ol stuff. ESPN has become too powerful for it's own good. They have a million channels, magazine, radio station, web page (that you have to pay for "inside" information), restaurants, and now cell phone service. It's the Frankenstein of networks, and it's getting stronger.

They've turned regular sportscasters into experts.....Dan Patrick, Mike Lupica, Mike Greenburg, Jay Mariotti, Skip Bayless, Peter Gammons, Mel Kiper, Tim Kurkjian, and the like. Some of their personalities are cool, but the aforementioned act as if they're GM's, owners, coach's/managers, scouts, the schit is ridiculos. It's amazing the influence they have over the American public.

NICE

That's a good point. :tup: I don't care for Sportscenter like I used to. I just keep it on NFL Network and ESPN News. I was tired of Dan Patrick a long time ago. i.e. Do you guys remember the problem that the NFL had Joe Horn two years ago? He kept on talking about for at least a week or two on his radio show and 6pm Sportscenter. There are some things you just have to let go and move on to another story.

D-NICE said:

NICE

Now Lupica, Mariotti, Baylor, Gammons and Kurkjian....i respect their opnions on the certain sport they cover...jsut like Kornheiser and Wilbon....they actually got their start in newspaper newsrooms and worked their way up the food chain to where they are now...

So the inner workings of a league, team, conference..should be their domain...not some geek of the street TV guy....(can y'all tell i'm print-biased..lol)...

However, some of these folks don't do the homework before bringing it to the masses (a big Stephen A. complaint)...

but really..the first letter in ESPN is E, for Entertainment...so I just take it as that...

Back