How to make the SWAC Tournament better

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It was at Southern one year. The tournament was not at SU because SU was the top seed, I think the conference was trying to do Southern a favor.

I say that because the two prior years it was in Dallas and SU didn't win once. The following year the tournament moved to SU campus and SU still didn't win (Alcorn).

Your 100% wrong it was hosted at SU. My classmate Who is an SU alum Co-Sponsored it I was there with him. And the reason it left was due to other reasons. It was not a favor to SU. Just got off the phone with him to check your comment facts.

If you work 60 hrs a week you are getting it done. What is the difference between a flight to Baton Rouge and Houston? Hell, you need a mini vacation.

I'm in my 20s still, and I dont have disposable income like that yet. Im working hard now, so that later down the line I can take a few days off work and go to a SWAC tournament or SWAC championship game, even if Bama State isnt playing in it.

Your 100% wrong it was hosted at SU. My classmate Who is an SU alum Co-Sponsored it I was there with him. And the reason it left was due to other reasons. It was not a favor to SU. Just got off the phone with him to check your comment facts.

Did it end up at SU because an SU alum sponcered it? Where was it before the two years in Dallas? I want to say PV won it the last year it was in Dallas (downtown). I don't remember if it was at the downtown place twice in Dallas. I think it was played at a high school stadium in Garland the year before. Valley won the tournament the year it was in Garland. I remember their team came out with toothpicks in their mouths before the game during (layup line).

Last edited:
The conference was/is really banking on the magnitude of SWAC alums who already live in the Houston metropolitan area to dominate attendance.

The Berry Center is a good place as well.. But I would say host it at Texas Southern if it is going to remain in Houston.

Cypress? That's probably a little too far out than New Delmar, but it's an option.

I was in undergrad and went to the tournament in Biloxi and then Birmingham at the Fair Park joint. Bleh for both

Also went to Garland. That's Garland ISD facility was good. Wished some of our schools would have adopted that building model for conference space and athletics

Then you were not coming for the tournament.

There was a time sTu and PV would put 30+ thousand in the Astrodome. As a matter of fact sTu and GSU had standing room only in the dome. Marketing played a very big part in putting butts in the seats and they used the coaching personalities and halftimes as drawing cards for those games.

sTu v Grambling was billed as A Game and a Half and I am talking TV commercials not just radio.
Consistency! Wow!! One year! Consistently Txsu and Pv ain't putting no butts in no stadium or arena. Hell like you said at " one time" yea one time ain't gone cut it. SMH

The Southland has been hosting their tourney in Katy, TX at a high school arena for the past what 7-8 years?

It's a nice small arena but all I can think of is playing a NCAA Division I conference tournament championship in a high school arena.

But at the end of the day, the Harris County Sports Authority and city of Houston really pushed to get the tournament here. The Super Bowl bowl came to town and a lot of time and funding went into putting on that world wide event.

I'm sure Texas Southern Fan can speak more on it.

If SWAC people attended the tournament attendance would not be an issue. It is a matter of where you want to spend your money. When I could not make the entire four days I would make Friday and Saturday for sure...even if we were not in the finals. And if we got bumped before the finals I stayed for the finals. I did not pack my stuff and go home. Whether it was in Birmingham, Bossier City, Garland or Houston.

We need to stop being so selfish and support the SWAC. We support the conference the same way we support our schools. If you cannot afford to make the trip or have to work that is one thing and understandable but not coming because your school did not make the tournament or got bumped out before the finals is beyond sad and if it was held in your backyards you would not show up.

SWAC people don't even attend games during the regular season in large numbers. Last season the SWAC was next to last in regular season attendance. It's not realistic to believe folks from that same group are going to attend the SWAC tournament in significant numbers regardless of where it's held.

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
SWAC people don't even attend games during the regular season games in large numbers. Last season the SWAC was next to last in regular season attendance. It's not realistic to believe folks from that same group are going to attend the SWAC tournament in significant numbers regardless of where it's held.

While true, thats lousy & pathetic as hell in its own right.

We dont really have pride in our programs like we claim we do.

The conference was/is really banking on the magnitude of SWAC alums who already live in the Houston metropolitan area to dominate attendance.

But Clearly they got this wrong. As I stated earlier football and basketball fans are different animals especially when you're dealing with having to compete against that in the heart of football country .

While true, thats lousy & pathetic as hell in its own right.

We dont really have pride in our programs like we claim we do.

Folks today, with all the other options bidding for their interests, aren't going to attend games simply out of school pride if they aren't appealing enough.

college basketball attendance and TV ratings have seen a bit of a dip the last few years. For whatever reason college basketball doesn't draw at the same level it once did.

Folks today, with all the other options bidding for their interests, aren't going to attend games simply out of school pride if they aren't appealing enough.

college basketball attendance and TV ratings have seen a bit of a dip the last few years. For whatever reason college basketball doesn't draw at the same level it once did.

But its the same way with football. Football attendance is better, but still far too low.

Move it to Delmar since holding it on our campus is an issue. Better parking...less traffic...decent eating places in the area and not far from the Galleria.

That's what I say....

I bet every kid who got a chance to play in the Toyota Center doesn't want it moved.

They really don't care to a point where it is played. They just glad to make it that far.

Delmar is a Dump, cheaply built. There are 3 older arenas in the Houston area that are better than Delmar.

That's a brand new facility. I think it would be a nice intimate place to play.

There is nothing random about the top seeded school hosting. It's been done that way for decades

Logistics would be a big problem especially if you don't know who would be the top seed until the last day of the season. It would be a higher coast for some schools to plan their travel to some sites. Also the conference would have to try to reserve rooms for all the teams and bands later. Not sure if many places could get that many rooms placed on hold either.

You have to market it to SWAC fans. If you come to Houston what are you coming here to do (just asking)?

They have cut the entertainment at the tournament these last 2 years and it seems that that decision has also seen a decline in attendance. Friday night was also Black Heritage Night at the rodeo and they had Alicia Keys there.

Consistency! Wow!! One year! Consistently Txsu and Pv ain't putting no butts in no stadium or arena. Hell like you said at " one time" yea one time ain't gone cut it. SMH

I'm not gonna say anything about stu but when PV was in the games there was fans in the seats.

Logistics would be a big problem especially if you don't know who would be the top seed until the last day of the season. It would be a higher coast for some schools to plan their travel to some sites. Also the conference would have to try to reserve rooms for all the teams and bands later. Not sure if many places could get that many rooms placed on hold either.

Base on what fact? There was never a complaint about logistic before....NEVER.

But its the same way with football. Football attendance is better, but still far too low.

Base on what fact? What other championship game or games are played during that time in the middle of the holiday season does better?

Probably was at the Rodeo. I seen a lot of people attended that via Facebook.

Last edited:
Back