How Do you Feel About This Plan for "The New SWAC"

pbla

Focus
How Do you Feel About This Plan?

Jul 23, 2003

The "New" SWAC: A glance into the future?
By J. Kenyatta Cavil - 3C-HBCUSports.com

With all the talk about ACC expansion by Big East Conference (Miami & Virginia Tech) and how it will affect the college landscape, some suggest that National College Athletic Association (NCAA) member colleges and conferences from the Atlantic 10, Conference USA, Mountain West and the WAC will be impacted.

Where will it stop? The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) or Florida A & M University? Well, many Historically Black College or University?s fans are interested in following what happens next in Black College Sports. Can you view a series of events that would cause some HBCU programs to seriously consider moving from NCAA Division I-AA to NCAA Division I-A?

Old Rivalries Lost

Florida A & M University?s administration has announced their intentions to move the football program from I-AA to I-A status. Because of their football rivalry with Tennessee State University, it could easily be viewed that they would evaluate and consider the same move.

Because of the history between Florida A & M and Tennessee State?s football programs and the support of their fans, neither can be excited about the potential loss of the revenue from the ending of the Atlanta Football Classic.

During the 2001 SWAC Winter meetings, Tennessee State?s administration actively recruited several SWAC and MEAC programs to consider moving their football programs to the I-A level with the intentions of creating a HBCU Super Conference.

If Tennessee State joins Florida A & M at the Division I-A level, then I believe this would start the mass exodus of HBCU programs, mainly from the SWAC, from I-AA level to the I-A level.

The Trickle Down Effect

Similar to the rivalry between Florida A & M and Tennessee State, many would view the rivalry between Jackson State University and Tennessee State just as strong.

With this in mind, Jackson State would be next in line to seriously consider the move from I-AA to I-A. Maintaining the revenue from the Southern Heritage Classic would be an impetus for this move.

Arguably, there isn?t any greater state-to-state border rivalry than the one between Jackson State and Southern University. If Southern has not made the move before Jackson State, then surely they would make it once Jackson State moves their football program from I-AA to I-A.

Cause and Effect

Once these four HBCU programs move from I-AA to I-A status, some imagination may be needed to follow the remaining dominoes. The future conference affiliation and timetable in which the above programs decide to move, as well as speculation that the entire SWAC may consider moving the entire conference to I-A in five year strategic plan will affect the following analysis. The proposed SWAC plan has been written about in other editorials.

The SWAC Commissioner could view all this movement from I-AA to I-A as the erosion of the SWAC. The SWAC Commissioner should politic the university presidents for the ?new? SWAC.

The Plan

The ?new? SWAC plan could be similar to the new alignment proposed by the Big East Conference, using a 3 to 5 year strategic plan that would layout the details of a move for the entire conference.

One could imagine that the four HBCU programs (Florida A & M, Tennessee State, Jackson State and Southern) could form a HBCU Division I-A conference. The could complete it by picking up current SWAC members Alabama A & M University, Alabama State University, Grambling State University and MEAC members South Carolina State University or North Carolina A & T State University.

The eight-member conference would meet the NCAA minimum requirements for a sanctioned I-A conference. An alliance between the eight-member I-A sanctioned programs, the five remaining I-AA members of the SWAC (Alcorn State University, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, Mississippi Valley State University, Prairie View A & M University and Texas Southern University and three additional I-AA programs would create a 16-member 2-tier HBCU super-conference, the ?new? SWAC.

That would give the ?new? SWAC eight schools participating at the I-A level and eight participating at the I-AA level.

Other possible members for the I-AA division of the conference are National Athletic Intercollegiate Association (NAIA) member Langston University, Savannah State University (I-AA Independent), or Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) Division II member, Albany State University.

In this alignment, the conference would only require one or at most two schools seeking either NCAA reclassification or membership in a new conference. Schools such as Clark-Atlanta University (SIAC), Tuskegee University (SIAC) or Bethune-Cookman College (MEAC) could be considered to form the remainder of the I-AA sanctioned group.

The Format

Football

The ?new? SWAC format would consist of an eight-member:

NCAA Division I-A Coalition: Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Florida A & M, Grambling State, Jackson State, Southern, Tennessee State and South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State.

And a separate eight-member:

NCAA Division I-AA Coalition: Alcorn State, Langston, Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View A & M, Texas Southern, Savannah State, Arkansas at Pine Bluff, and one of the following institutions: Albany State University, Clark-Atlanta University, Tuskegee University, South Carolina State or Bethune-Cookman College.

Each 8-member coalition would have its own operating supervisor, while the SWAC Commissioner oversees the entire 16-member alliance.

The 16-member alliance in the ?new? SWAC would have crossover games in basketball. But, the eight-member I-A coalition would have a different revenue-sharing plan than the eight-member I-AA coalition, allowing both groups to keep its generated share of the money.

The I-A football membership would play a seven-game conference schedule while the I-AA football membership would be separated into two divisions:

Division I-A

Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Florida A & M, Grambling State, Jackson State, Southern, Tennessee State and South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State

Division I-AA

WESTERN DIVISION: Langston, Prairie View A & M, Texas Southern, and Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

EASTERN DIVISION: Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State, Savannah State and one of the following: Albany State, Clark-Atlanta, Tuskegee, South Carolina State or Bethune-Cookman.

Basketball

Each division would be required to play their three inter-divisional opponents and two intra-divisional opponents rotating ever two years to save on traveling expenditures. In basketball the conference would set-up into two divisions:

WESTERN DIVISION: Grambling State, Jackson State, Langston, Prairie View A & M, Southern, Tennessee State, Texas Southern, Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

EASTERN DIVISION: Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Florida A & M, Mississippi Valley State, Savannah State, South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State and one of the following: Albany State, Tuskegee, Clark-Atlanta or Bethune-Cookman.

Two intra-divisional games will be designated between two basketball divisions to keep rivalries going along with a full-blown well-marketed preseason tournament.

The first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth place teams in each division would earn a spot in the conference basketball tournament. The first and second place teams would earn a first round bye in the tournament.

All Other Sanctioned Sports

The Olympic sports of the alliance would be separated into four divisions:

DIVISION A: Langston, Prairie View A & M, Texas Southern and Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

DIVISION B: Grambling State, Jackson State, Southern and Tennessee State.

DIVISION C: Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State.

DIVISION D: Florida A & M, Savannah State, South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State, and one of the following: Albany State, Tuskegee, Clark-Atlanta or Bethune-Cookman.

Each division would play a three game set, home and away with each inter-divisional opponent and a three game set with two designated intra-divisional opponents. The first place and second place teams in each division would earn a spot in the conference tourna

Our athletic director will not allow PV to be left out of a SWAC I-A Super Conference in football. We will be renovating our stadium to seat 22,000 and constructing a field house.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by pantherprowl
Our athletic director will not allow PV to be left out of a SWAC I-A Super Conference in football. We will be renovating our stadium to seat 22,000 and constructing a field house.

Well, you need to renevate 8,000 more and double your attendance.....

Many of the schools mentioned have no chance to meet the new I-A requirements.

I believe that there will soon be a split of I-A into the BCS and non-BCS. The non-BCS will have some sort of a playoff system. In my opinion, if the goal of moving up is to play on the highest level of football, it still won't be happening because none of the schools mentioned will be invited to any BCS conference.

Also, the idea that moving to I-A will magically make these schools more attractive to potential recruits is full of holes. These schools all play basketball in the highest division, but are never in the running for top-tier recruits. I don't like it, but it's the brutal truth.

I agree with others here that have said that we need to get our own house in order before pursuing any move up, i.e. becoming more competitive in the division we're in. In case some of you haven't noticed, the SWAC, MEAC, and Tennessee State haven't exactly dominated I-AA for the last several years.....

Here's some of what I mean:

These are the records of the schools vs. other I-AA schools (not including vs. each other) over the last 10 seasons (1993-2002).

Tennessee State 36-36
South Carolina State 8-8
Southern 7-9
Morgan State 6-16
North Carolina A&T 5-8
Hampton 4-10
Alcorn State 4-16
Florida A&M 3-6
Bethune-Cookman 3-7
Alabama State 3-8
Delaware State 3-21
Grambling State 2-1
Howard 2-6
Alabama A&M 1-4
Texas Southern 1-5
Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0-0
Jackson State 0-3
Norfolk State 0-3
Morris Brown 0-4
Prairie View A&M 0-6
Savannah State 0-7
Mississippi Valley State 0-8

TOTALS 88-192

Discuss..............

Originally posted by pantherprowl

Your AD would not have a choice. This plan would have worked when the NCAA required only 6 schools to be D1A. It was a great plan in my opinion. Maybe the "people who run thangs" got word of it and made the stipulations tougher.

Why would TNState be in the Western Division rather than Alcorn?

Why is TNState in Division B rather than Alcorn?

You don't like Alcorn or something? LOL

I don't like this plan. If the schools Jafus mention in the article decide to go to division 1-A, I think they should form there own conference.

Jul 23, 2003

http://www.swacpage.com/article577.shtml

By J. Kenyatta Cavil - 3C-HBCUSports.com

With all the talk about ACC expansion by Big East Conference (Miami & Virginia Tech) and how it will affect the college landscape, some suggest that National College Athletic Association (NCAA) member colleges and conferences from the Atlantic 10, Conference USA, Mountain West and the WAC will be impacted.

Where will it stop? The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) or Florida A & M University? Well, many Historically Black College or University?s fans are interested in following what happens next in Black College Sports. Can you view a series of events that would cause some HBCU programs to seriously consider moving from NCAA Division I-AA to NCAA Division I-A?

Old Rivalries Lost

Florida A & M University?s administration has announced their intentions to move the football program from I-AA to I-A status. Because of their football rivalry with Tennessee State University, it could easily be viewed that they would evaluate and consider the same move.

Because of the history between Florida A & M and Tennessee State?s football programs and the support of their fans, neither can be excited about the potential loss of the revenue from the ending of the Atlanta Football Classic.

During the 2001 SWAC Winter meetings, Tennessee State?s administration actively recruited several SWAC and MEAC programs to consider moving their football programs to the I-A level with the intentions of creating a HBCU Super Conference.

If Tennessee State joins Florida A & M at the Division I-A level, then I believe this would start the mass exodus of HBCU programs, mainly from the SWAC, from I-AA level to the I-A level.

The Trickle Down Effect

Similar to the rivalry between Florida A & M and Tennessee State, many would view the rivalry between Jackson State University and Tennessee State just as strong.

With this in mind, Jackson State would be next in line to seriously consider the move from I-AA to I-A. Maintaining the revenue from the Southern Heritage Classic would be an impetus for this move.

Arguably, there isn?t any greater state-to-state border rivalry than the one between Jackson State and Southern University. If Southern has not made the move before Jackson State, then surely they would make it once Jackson State moves their football program from I-AA to I-A.

Cause and Effect

Once these four HBCU programs move from I-AA to I-A status, some imagination may be needed to follow the remaining dominoes. The future conference affiliation and timetable in which the above programs decide to move, as well as speculation that the entire SWAC may consider moving the entire conference to I-A in five year strategic plan will affect the following analysis. The proposed SWAC plan has been written about in other editorials.

The SWAC Commissioner could view all this movement from I-AA to I-A as the erosion of the SWAC. The SWAC Commissioner should politic the university presidents for the ?new? SWAC.

The Plan

The ?new? SWAC plan could be similar to the new alignment proposed by the Big East Conference, using a 3 to 5 year strategic plan that would layout the details of a move for the entire conference.

One could imagine that the four HBCU programs (Florida A & M, Tennessee State, Jackson State and Southern) could form a HBCU Division I-A conference. The could complete it by picking up current SWAC members Alabama A & M University, Alabama State University, Grambling State University and MEAC members South Carolina State University or North Carolina A & T State University.

The eight-member conference would meet the NCAA minimum requirements for a sanctioned I-A conference. An alliance between the eight-member I-A sanctioned programs, the five remaining I-AA members of the SWAC (Alcorn State University, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, Mississippi Valley State University, Prairie View A & M University and Texas Southern University and three additional I-AA programs would create a 16-member 2-tier HBCU super-conference, the ?new? SWAC.

That would give the ?new? SWAC eight schools participating at the I-A level and eight participating at the I-AA level.

Other possible members for the I-AA division of the conference are National Athletic Intercollegiate Association (NAIA) member Langston University, Savannah State University (I-AA Independent), or Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) Division II member, Albany State University.

In this alignment, the conference would only require one or at most two schools seeking either NCAA reclassification or membership in a new conference. Schools such as Clark-Atlanta University (SIAC), Tuskegee University (SIAC) or Bethune-Cookman College (MEAC) could be considered to form the remainder of the I-AA sanctioned group.

The Format

Football

The ?new? SWAC format would consist of an eight-member:

NCAA Division I-A Coalition: Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Florida A & M, Grambling State, Jackson State, Southern, Tennessee State and South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State.

And a separate eight-member:

NCAA Division I-AA Coalition: Alcorn State, Langston, Mississippi Valley State, Prairie View A & M, Texas Southern, Savannah State, Arkansas at Pine Bluff, and one of the following institutions: Albany State University, Clark-Atlanta University, Tuskegee University, South Carolina State or Bethune-Cookman College.

Each 8-member coalition would have its own operating supervisor, while the SWAC Commissioner oversees the entire 16-member alliance.

The 16-member alliance in the ?new? SWAC would have crossover games in basketball. But, the eight-member I-A coalition would have a different revenue-sharing plan than the eight-member I-AA coalition, allowing both groups to keep its generated share of the money.

The I-A football membership would play a seven-game conference schedule while the I-AA football membership would be separated into two divisions:

Division I-A

Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Florida A & M, Grambling State, Jackson State, Southern, Tennessee State and South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State

Division I-AA

WESTERN DIVISION: Langston, Prairie View A & M, Texas Southern, and Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

EASTERN DIVISION: Alcorn State, Mississippi Valley State, Savannah State and one of the following: Albany State, Clark-Atlanta, Tuskegee, South Carolina State or Bethune-Cookman.

Basketball

Each division would be required to play their three inter-divisional opponents and two intra-divisional opponents rotating ever two years to save on traveling expenditures. In basketball the conference would set-up into two divisions:

WESTERN DIVISION: Grambling State, Jackson State, Langston, Prairie View A & M, Southern, Tennessee State, Texas Southern, Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

EASTERN DIVISION: Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Florida A & M, Mississippi Valley State, Savannah State, South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State and one of the following: Albany State, Tuskegee, Clark-Atlanta or Bethune-Cookman.

Two intra-divisional games will be designated between two basketball divisions to keep rivalries going along with a full-blown well-marketed preseason tournament.

The first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth place teams in each division would earn a spot in the conference basketball tournament. The first and second place teams would earn a first round bye in the tournament.

All Other Sanctioned Sports

The Olympic sports of the alliance would be separated into four divisions:

DIVISION A: Langston, Prairie View A & M, Texas Southern and Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

DIVISION B: Grambling State, Jackson State, Southern and Tennessee State.

DIVISION C: Alabama A & M, Alabama State, Alcorn State and Mississippi Valley State.

DIVISION D: Florida A & M, Savannah State, South Carolina State or North Carolina A & T State, and one of the following: Albany State, Tuskegee, Clark-Atlanta or Bethune-Cookman.

Each division would play a three game set, home and away with each inter-divisional opponent and a three game set with two designated intra-divisional opponents. The first place and second place teams in each division would earn a spot in the conference tournament

hmm-hm-hmmmmm,,,,

Just laying back with a content smile on my face, humming a toon, inspecting/cleaning fingernails with thumbnail while the momentum continues to build. Yep, right on schedule. Now, this, of coarse, likely won't be the end result, but planting these seeds is OUTSTANDING. Great stuff. :cool:

This is a brilliant plan/blueprint. It can be tweaked a tad. It is apparent that the producer did his homework. Past out of conference records are moot as the additonal scholarships will trump the past depth and moves us ahead of those stagnant foes.

I would like to see this ONLY and ONLY if the I-A bound teams become more competitive out of the conference. Our best are mediocre right now when we face quality I-AA teams.

Adding 20 extra scholarships will not solve the problem. You have to get 20 QUALITY student-athletes with these scholarships. We first need to get better student athletes with our current 65 scholarships.

I'm for FAMU because they are looking at going to an already established I-A conference. This has perks because the "company you keep" means a lot to potential athletes, TV stations, etc.

If the SWAC moves up without becoming more competitive, we would go from a weak I-AA conference to a weak I-AA/I-A conference. This would eliminate us from any of the potential benefits of going I-A.

This plan sound great for the future if the schools can make a serious committment.

SU is currently working on its facilites, marketing and fundraising so hopefully we will be ready in the next few years to go I-A.

While, on paper, the plan sounds 'interesting', it's unrealistic......

Too many 'stars' would have to aling perfectly in order for it to be pulled off....

Besides, if the eight schools go Div 1-A in football, why would they choose to remain in a newly 'realigned' HBCU conference, when they could propably join an existing D 1-A conference and make even more money......

Also, I don't see any Bowls lining up to cut deals with the SWAC....Or would we create our own Bowl Game....:idea:

Wait....Haven't we done that already????? :nod:
And it went broke didn't it...:nod2:

Thought so....

:shame:

With this plan, the student athlete that aspires to play 1-A ball decision should be tilted in two respects. First, going to an HBCU and having the opportunity to still play 1-A football at a mid major. Two, playing for a 1-A as opposed to a 1-AA so called elite. It is my contention that if one positions themselves for upward mobility "they will come." Hence.......a higher quality compared to those so called elite 1-AA programs and a higher number of athletes.

Finally, I am not sold on that propaganda that there is a great disparity in top 1-AA elites and to 1-AA HBCU elites. You put McNeese, Ga. Southern and Youngstown State & NWST in a league with FAMU, Jackson State, Grambling and S.U. I do not believe that the champion would be automatic. However, I do believe that these are more formidable foes that would enhance the former to pay more attention to detail.

Originally posted by JROCK
Finally, I am not sold on that propaganda that there is a great disparity in top 1-AA elites and to 1-AA HBCU elites. You put McNeese, Ga. Southern and Youngstown State & NWST in a league with FAMU, Jackson State, Grambling and S.U. I do not believe that the champion would be automatic. However, I do believe that these are more formidable foes that would enhance the former to pay more attention to detail.

While I'd like to agree with you, I, and on-the-field performance over the last several years, can't. I believe the emphasis should be on improving the programs at the level they are before attempting any kind of move.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by PNeck019
While I'd like to agree with you, I, and on-the-field performance over the last several years, can't. I believe the emphasis should be on improving the programs at the level they are before attempting any kind of move.

These are my sentiments and have been for years.

Originally posted by PNeck019

This reminds me of when many people would say "it is not time for desegregation. The negro is not ready." (no racial overtones in this example as I am sure many said Troy State was not ready). The crux of my contetion lies in optimism as opposed to a negative thought process. Again, I do not subscribe to an inferiority complex when comparing the two elite categories. Examples...... I see the glass half full. The last two years FAMU played Troy State in the 1-AA playoffs they beat them both times. Troy State has position themselves in 1-A and has gradually surpassed FAMU in depth and quality of athletes. FAMU will close the gap. S.U. is 5-5 against one of the SLC top program. Gram has not played many out of conference top 25 foes but stand 1-1 the last 5 years (win over Portland State & Loss to McNeese). I do not believe in the on paper mythical better programs. Until these games are actually played it is mere on paper superiority conjecture.

Originally posted by Butch Wms.
pbla,

I like the idea of a collective HBCU move to D1A.But isn't Grambling having financial problems?

Gram hand some financial control issues. Their financial solvency has never been questioned. Hence, they do not have financial problems.

Originally posted by JROCK
Finally, I am not sold on that propaganda that there is a great disparity in top 1-AA elites and to 1-AA HBCU elites.

Elite vs. Elite

Head-to-head records in games featuring a I-AA HBCU with 8-plus wins vs. a PWC I-AA with 8-plus wins since 1989 (when I entered college):

Delaware State 1-0 (1.000)
Alabama State 1-1 (.500)
Southern 1-1 (.500)
Florida A&M 3-5 (.375)
Alcorn State 1-2 (.333)
Howard 1-2 (.333)
Hampton 1-3 (.250)
Bethune-Cookman 0-1 (.000)
Grambling 0-2 (.000)
North Carolina A&T 0-3 (.000)
Tennessee State 0-3 (.000)
Jackson State 0-6 (.000)

TOTALS 9-29 (.237)

Note: Alabama A&M, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Mississippi Valley State, Morgan State, Morris Brown, Norfolk State, Prairie View A&M, Savannah State, South Carolina State, and Texas Southern were all 0-0.

The seasons used for this were:

Delaware State
1991 (9-2) 1-0

Alabama State
1990 (8-2-1) 0-0
1991 (11-0-1) 1-0
1995 (8-3) 0-1
2001 (8-4) 0-0

Southern
1993 (11-1) 0-0
1995 (11-1) 0-0
1997 (11-1) 1-0
1998 (9-3) 0-1
1999 (11-2) 0-0

Florida A&M
1995 (9-3) 0-0
1996 (9-3) 0-1
1997 (9-3) 0-1
1998 (11-2) 1-1
1999 (10-4) 2-1
2000 (9-3) 0-1

Alcorn State
1993 (8-3) 0-1
1994 (8-3-1) 1-1

Howard
1989 (8-3) 0-0
1993 (11-1) 1-1
1996 (10-2) 0-1

Hampton
1995 (8-3) 0-1
1997 (10-2) 1-1
1998 (9-3) 0-1
1999 (8-4) 0-0

Bethune-Cookman
1998 (8-3) 0-0
2000 (9-2) 0-0
2002 (11-2) 0-1

Grambling
1989 (9-3) 0-1
1990 (8-3) 0-0
1992 (10-2) 0-0
1994 (9-3) 0-0
2000 (10-2) 0-0
2001 (10-1) 0-0
2002 (11-2) 0-1

North Carolina A&T
1990 (9-2) 0-0
1991 (9-3) 0-0
1992 (9-3) 0-1
1993 (8-3) 0-0
1996 (8-3) 0-0
1998 (8-3) 0-0
1999 (11-2) 0-2
2000 (8-3) 0-0
2001 (8-3) 0-0

Tennessee State
1998 (9-3) 0-1
1999 (11-1) 0-0
2001 (8-3) 0-2

Jackson State
1989 (8-4) 0-2
1990 (8-4) 0-1
1995 (9-3) 0-1
1996 (10-2) 0-1
1997 (9-3) 0-1
1999 (9-3) 0-0

Here are the scores for the above games.

1991 Delaware State 33, Youngstown State 29

1991 Alabama State 31, Samford 28
1995 Troy State 28, Alabama State 10

1997 Southern 27, Northwestern State 9
1998 Northwestern State 28, Southern 7

1996 Troy State 29, Florida A&M 25
1997 Georgia Southern 52, Florida A&M 37
1998 Florida A&M 27, Troy State 17
1998 Western Illinois 24, Florida A&M 21
1999 Florida A&M 44, Appalachian State 29
1999 Florida A&M 17, Troy State 10
1999 Youngstown State 27, Florida A&M 24
2000 Western Kentucky 27, Florida A&M 0

1993 Troy State 63, Alcorn State 21
1994 Alcorn State 47, Troy State 44
1994 Youngstown State 63, Alcorn State 20

1993 Howard 44, Towson 41
1993 Marshall 28, Howard 14
1996 Marshall 55, Howard 27

1995 Liberty 28, Hampton 14
1997 Hampton 33, Liberty 27
1997 Youngstown State 28, Hampton 13
1998 Connecticut 42, Hampton 34

2002 Georgia Southern 34, Bethune-Cookman 0

1989 Stephen F. Austin 59, Grambling 56
2002 McNeese State 52, Grambling 20

1992 Citadel 44, North Carolina A&T 0
1999 Elon 40, North Carolina A&T 7
1999 Youngstown State 41, North Carolina A&T 3

1998 Appalachian State 45, Tennessee State 31
2001 Eastern Illinois 52, Tennessee State 49
2001 Eastern Kentucky 13, Tennessee State 10

1989 Stephen F. Austin 41, Jackson State 28
1989 Montana 48, Jackson State 7
1990 Middle Tennessee State 28, Jackson State 7
1995 Marshall 38, Jackson State 8
1996 William & Mary 45, Jackson State 6
1997 Western Illinois 31, Jackson State 24

If dat mug ain't sold, HE MUST BE SOLD NOW!

Good gosh PNECK019. That volley seems to have silenced the crowd significantly. :scared: I hope that's not an endictment of HBCU's ability to compete and coach against PWCs. :scared: Nevertheless, my stand on HBCUs moving up and competing still stands. I think the disparity gap will shrink as we play PWCs more and raise our level of competitiveness and be able to recruit on the same level with the PWCs.

Re: If dat mug ain't sold, HE MUST BE SOLD NOW!

Its not a matter of talent, its simply a matter of coaching...or lack there of.

Re: Re: If dat mug ain't sold, HE MUST BE SOLD NOW!

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
Its not a matter of talent, its simply a matter of coaching...or lack there of.

That is very disturbing. Why are HBCUs lacking in the area of coaching then, going on your supposition? Are we hiring coaches simply because they are "from the family" or because they are black or because they are black coach charity cases that have been kicked to the curb by PWCs? Why is it a matter of a lack of coaching? :confused:

Good coaches cost money. Good assistant coaches cost money. A good head coach ain't worth a dayum without a quality coaching staff.

Back