Hey Jackson State!! You all got a few changes in the JSU football staff!!

Antroy

I saw on the news that a few JSU football coaches whose contracts were not renewed or who chose to retire. I don't remember who it was but I'm sure that you all know.
Who were they? I think that one was the Defensive Coordinator or something.

It looks like you all are getting some of your wish!!!

I want it all
Not just a kiss
All dreams come true
ETERNAL BLISS!!!

It's a start, but it ain't enough.

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Apparently, JSU has gotten rid of a few defensive coaches. Hughes got rid of the DC and a few more people. One of the retired.
Hughes said he wants a defense something similar to the Buddy Ryan defenses back in the day!!

I know one of McGee's (retired coach) sons. He told me his dad was only doing the job just for the hell of it. He said if he was fired it would give him an excuse to retire.

Looky, looky...

JSU fires assistant coaches.
JACKSON STATE MAKES DEFENSIVE MOVES:

In Jackson, Miss.,
Jackson State shook up its defensive coaching staff, with the demotion of
coordinator Robert Kelly and the departure of two other assistants, head
coach Robert Hughes announced Tuesday.

Kelly, at the school since 1987, will be reassigned to a position coach.

Defensive line coach Ben McGee, an assistant from 1973-75 and rejoined the
staff in 1996, will retire. And linebackers coach David Geralds, on the staff
since 1994, will not be offered a new contract.

The Tigers (7-4) were second-to-last in the Southwestern Athletic Conference
in scoring defense last season (31 ppg) and ranked seventh in total defense.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Originally posted by Robber
I want it all
Not just a kiss
All dreams come true
ETERNAL BLISS!!!

It's a start, but it ain't enough.

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

I with you , Robber!!!
I don't want a few coins from the slot machine. I WANT THE WHOLE JACKPOT!!!! :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :kaioken:

Kelly should have been dismissed totally. Geralds was a better coach than Kelly is. Kelly has been the problem. He was already the secondary coach. This is not what we asked for. Hopefully, we will get a new DC that will not Kelly run the secondary like he has in the past. _ _ _

Jackson State didn't have an effective running game in 2001.
That's why the defense stayed on the field and not the offense.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Kelly should have been dismissed totally. Geralds was a better coach than Kelly is. Kelly has been the problem. He was already the secondary coach. This is not what we asked for. Hopefully, we will get a new DC that will not Kelly run the secondary like he has in the past. _ _ _
Has anyone ever had a problem with our LBs performance??? They were on the field in situations where they shouldna been, but that was Kelly's call. Geralds taught our LBs well. How could we get rid of our best defensive coach, if we were gonna keep someone on that side???

Robber,

Maybe Geralds can come on back to SU. I hear Pete recommended one of our co defensive coordinators for a HC job in the CIAA and he interviewed well and wants to take our DB coach with him, so maybe their will be some opportunities for him at his alma mater. Geralds was your best D coach. LB's were never a problem at JSU. DL and Db's and the whole scheme were your downfall. You guys used to attack folks on D, now it seems you are a bend but don't break type of "D" that broke a few times in games. Good Luck in finding coaches, we will be looking too, just like JSU.

Originally posted by JR
Robber,

Maybe Geralds can come on back to SU. I hear Pete recommended one of our co defensive coordinators for a HC job in the CIAA and he interviewed well and wants to take our DB coach with him, so maybe their will be some opportunities for him at his alma mater. Geralds was your best D coach. LB's were never a problem at JSU. DL and Db's and the whole scheme were your downfall. You guys used to attack folks on D, now it seems you are a bend but don't break type of "D" that broke a few times in games. Good Luck in finding coaches, we will be looking too, just like JSU.

Since it's the CIAA, I'm thinking maybe it's Terrence Graves. That's a good dude and bright coach. T Graves played at Winston Salem, so he might be trying to get back to the East Coast. I wonder if it's in Virginia, his home state.

He's gonna make a fine head coach. Hope to see him back in the SWAC someday!

They should've fired Hughes...

While I'm happy to see some changes taking place, I hope there will be more changes. Hopefully the coaches brought in will have impressive resumes, and effective schemes, and get us back on track defensively. JState hadn't had a good defense since Carson died.

But they should've fired Hughes. He had no business saying what he said after the TennState loss, talking about 'our season ended last week with Alcorn'. Even if he felt that way, he should've been smart enough to know that you don't come out and say it. And besides, his job is to get the team prepared to play. Prepared to play whoever, whenever, wherever. If he wants to get involved in scheduling, then he needs to go after Culberson's jod. Otherwise, stick to coaching. I've been upset with our recruiting for the last couple of years. And while it may not be his fault totally, since he's the coach now, he's stuck with the situation. There's no reason under the sun we didn't have a decent kicking game this season. JState could've been been 10-1 if we had a kicker. But I doubt they've tried recruiting one. There are too many kids playing soccer in and around Jackson, for him not to have been able to find one kicker. One good kicker. And why can't he find a white one? Or any other white players, for that matter. JState is about the only school in the SWAC that doesn't have a white player on the team. And you can't tell me that there aren't any white players willing to take a football scholarship and play at JState. I don't know of too many players (white or black) willing to turn down a free college education. And we don't recruit JUCO players. And so many Mississippi JUCO boys go on to play for Nebraska and Florida State, and Alabama and so on. You can't tell me we can't snap-up a couple of 'em. They just don't recruit worth a dayum. And because of that, and poor play-calling, he should've been fired.............

But maybe he'll do better next season. We've had two disappointing years. JState has too much talent to have gone 7-4 two seasons in a row. And with Kent at QB, all we need is some defensive and special teams help.

I'll stop fussing.......But it upsets me that we don't play any better than we do. And I drive 400+ miles to see 'em play every weekend.........

Coach: JSU really fired me

December 13, 2001

Coach: JSU really fired me

Ben McGee says he didn't retire despite school's statement
By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Jackson State defensive line coach Ben McGee said Wednesday he was fired and did not retire as the school announced Tuesday.

"I did not retire," McGee said. "I was fired just like (linebackers coach David) Geralds. That's what I want everybody to know."

The university issued a news release Tuesday stating that defensive coordinator Robert Kelly had been reassigned to a job as a position coach, Geralds' contract would not be extended past Dec. 31 and that McGee had retired.

McGee, 63, said JSU coach Robert Hughes called him Sunday and instructed him to attend a meeting in Hughes' office at 9 a.m. Monday along with Kelly and Geralds.

"That's when he passed the letters out," McGee said. "And it said my contract would not be extended past Dec. 31, point blank."

Hughes told The Clarion-Ledger Monday afternoon that he was "probably going to make a few changes" but that he had not yet made any.

McGee served two stints as defensive line coach at JSU. He was an assistant coach from 1973-75 and rejoined the staff in 1996.

JSU went 7-4 overall but finished seventh in the 10-team Southwestern Athletic Conference in total defense (347.5 yards per game) and ninth in scoring defense (31.1 points per game). The Tigers ranked ninth in the league in pass defense (235.1 yards per game) and gave up a league-high 30 passing touchdowns.

This is too sad.!!!!!!!!! We need a new Head Coach. I have never been impressed with Hughes style of coaching. I said early in the season when I saw JSU play AAMU that we were in trouble. Our offensive line looked terrible along with our special team in that game along. I don't understand how Hughes can fire someone on defense and keep the offensive coordinator (Asberry). This logic doesn't make any sense. The defense did not play their best but the offense and special team did not do their part. Kent was sacked entirely too much, and he made unnecessary mistakes because we did not have a running game. Kent has too much talent and is too athletic to be playing for some dumb arse coach like Hughes. I don't know if this is a good move on the AD or Hughes part. When you clean house you should start at the top.

I agree.......

Cleaning house should start from the top. But I think we're in a peculiar situation. Robert Kent is probably going to be the best QB to come through JState in a long time. And he's got two years left. It would be difficuilt to bring in an entirely new staff, and have him learn another system from start to finish. It may be easier to keep Hughes and Asberry(who still runs what's-his-name's system), and allow Kent to get better. Then after his senior year, either bring a new coach, or new O/C. but not until then. I don't think we could survive a totally new staff with all the returning talent we have right now.

Taylor-Made,

We have had good talent for the past three years under Hughes and he has done nothing. We will do no worse than 7-4 if Ron Cooper was our HC and Bucky was our DC. We need a new staff. PERIOD.

BTW, voice your concerns to Culberson. They are trying to be smart and get around what the fans want so that he does not have to explain why he had to fire a coach who was 9-3, 7-4 and 7-4. If you need his e-mail address, hit me.

Back