Heritage Bowl Returns

zac1

It has been announced that the Heritage Bowl is set to return in August of 2002 pitting the Golden Tigers of Tuskegee against the Tigers of Grambling State. The game will be played in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta on Labor Day weekend.

Actually this is NOT happening, but as we watch the clown show that is the BCS, it makes me wonder about a pre-season match up between the Black D-1AA power and the Black DII power. The MEAC would not send a rep since it decides to play in the 1-AA playoffs. I never saw the importance of the pwc's Kickoff Classic in the Meadowlands that was an-after-the-fact classic which pitted two teams that missed out or shall I say were shafted out of the national championship game the year before. What intelligence. And they talk about us! But this Kickoff Classic may work for us. As our Black polls consider a champ for Black 1-AA and a champ for Black DII, it MAYBE logical for the two to meet in a general Black College Classic that benefits academics at the two participating schools. Thus we'd have "Heritage" taken care of. It was a good try to have a post-season bowl for US, but it just needed to be tweaked. Not like they keep tweaking the BCS! I know it would compete against other Labor Day Classics, so let's move it to the day of the pwc's Kickoff Classic which may not be in existence anymore.

With all that encompasses Black College Football, I think we need a BOWL game for us whether it's pre-season or post-season. Speak the Truth!

"That's the Fact, Jack!" Bill Murray in the movie STRIPES!!!!!!!

I like the idea, Stripes. I think it would be a good game and draw a decent crowd at the beginning of the season when everybody is starving for some football.

I'm in favor of GSU making "The Red River Classic" in Shreveport a non-conference game and moving it to the first game of the season each year. We could schedule a broad spectrum of teams and I'm sure it would draw well. We could open with Tuskegee one year, Fort Valley the next, then TnState, then Northwestern, then SMU, then FAMU, then Georgia Southern, then SFAustin, then Nicholls, then Portland State, then...

The conference game against UAPB needs to go back to being home and home. Conference games are better suited for home and home so that the students can have better access and get the school spirit kicked up.

Back