HBCU football rivalry could be on its way back

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
People need to remember that Tennessee State is in a hostile state and thus certain decisions was made due to those complications when the HBCU conference they were in collapse. We just saw the state fire everyone on the board and put in the people that they wanted in charge. The DOJ just sent out a letter to all the states that have land grant HBCU about the money they owe these land grant HBCUs and base on the state governor reaction, in Alabama, this is going to get interesting quick.

I think Tennessee State is doing the best they can given their situation and have used the OVC-Big South Alliance increase travel cost in order to adjust their budgets so that they can schedule more HBCUs for out of conference games in football. TSU is bringing back baseball too and that is one of the moves that I figure the SWAC office likes.

At the end of the day Tennessee State is a state school and we all have seen what damage a state government can do to public HBCU (see the the West Virginia public HBCUs - they successfully plan and succeed in pushing out and reducing the black student body and faculty\staff. In the case of BSU they was rumor KKK and the white President collaboration to close the dorms, which did happen and the dorms demoloish. Note: BSU has a black president now, they are back in the CIAA, and they have built new dorms on campus).

People need to remember that Tennessee State is in a hostile state and thus certain decisions was made due to those complications when the HBCU conference they were in collapse. We just saw the state fire everyone on the board and put in the people that they wanted in charge. The DOJ just sent out a letter to all the states that have land grant HBCU about the money they owe these land grant HBCUs and base on the state governor reaction, in Alabama, this is going to get interesting quick.

I think Tennessee State is doing the best they can given their situation and have used the OVC-Big South Alliance increase travel cost in order to adjust their budgets so that they can schedule more HBCUs for out of conference games in football. TSU is bringing back baseball too and that is one of the moves that I figure the SWAC office likes.

At the end of the day Tennessee State is a state school and we all have seen what damage a state government can do to public HBCU (see the the West Virginia public HBCUs - they successfully plan and succeed in pushing out and reducing the black student body and faculty\staff. In the case of BSU they was rumor KKK and the white President collaboration to close the dorms, which did happen and the dorms demoloish. Note: BSU has a black president now, they are back in the CIAA, and they have built new dorms on campus).

They've left invites on the table but no public stance has been taken as that's what we all want to know - and they've had swac presidents

They've left invites on the table but no public stance has been taken as that's what we all want to know - and they've had swac presidents
Given the environment they are operating in, sometimes it is best to stay silent on certain things publicly. Remember that Tennessee State has to get approval from the state to move to another conference and I doubt the state will approve them moving to the SWAC or MEAC given the increase in travel cost that would happen across all sports.

(update: someone has stated that this might not be true, waiting on feedback on this)

FAMU has shown that you need ensure that there is no increase in expensive that is not off set by increase in revenue with dealing with a hostile state government.

I think those at Tennessee State understand the position they are in and thus make moves accordingly. I believe they have 4 out of conference games in football and in 2025 I believe they are playing 3 HBCUs (Howard, North Carolina A&T State, and Norfolk State). I am predicting with baseball restarting, they will be playing some MEAC and SWAC schools for out of conference games.

Once Hale Stadium has been renovated or built a new, then I expect other moves will be made (given I believe they can draw more people in Hale than dealing with the Titans Stadium).

Last edited:
Tennessee State DOES NOT need the approval of the state of Tennessee to move to another conference.

STOP IT WITH THIS NONSENSE! :rolleyes:
Are you sure about that given how the state has used the Focus Act and other powers granted to legislative as it relates to Tennessee State? I am all for learning, if I stated something incorrect.

We have seen how the state of Tennessee did not even wait for the audit to be completed before removing the board (which according to information on the Tennessee State website regarding the focus act the government can only replace 8 our of 10 members on the board - still grants the state a majority regardless), while others in the state audit showed worse results in their audits and their boards stayed intact.

Last edited:
Back