HBCU Division 1 Attendance

Journalist said:
I think that's a false assumption. I'm still old school and believe winning will put arses in the seats....Hell, some of these mid-majors get on live TV..and the gym is PACKED.

HBCUs have to start PROMOTING the games better in order to draw more people in. You have to draw people, like Bill Veeck does in minor league baseball. If you make the game something worth going to, then the people will come. You gotta make the game an experience...

For example..have "Car Wash Money night" for SU vs. Alcorn or somebody at the Minidome... 50 cents a ticket to the first, let's say 2,000 with those people in the running for an all-expense vacation/car/"happy ending :ebrow: " or something...
I feel you on that, brotha. We need more emphasis on the marketing aspect to get people to come to the games. Believe it or not, I'm trying to do some of that with the high school BASEBALL games that I coach...........and you know where I work........LOL.

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
All of SU's home games comes on Cox Sports(regional tv) which basically kills our attendence. Alot of people choose to stay at home and watch instead of attending the games. Even the students watch from their dorm room:shame: . From the 70's-the early 90's SU's attendence was outstanding when we were constantly putting quality teams on the court.

Man that's fudged up. I would expect SU to average a minimum of 3.5K in a season when you win the conference. Do you guys not care about basketball at all? Hopefully next season everyone will be pumped about basketball since you guys will be the defending SWAC champs.

I can't wait til TSU wins the OVC. I expect us to average between 6K and 7K for home games.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
DAHILL said:
when your gym is full and it holds 6,000 and the attendence is reported as 1500 (keep in mind 1500 on the dot) it is WRONG. We dont have a turnstyle, our attendence is one mans guess.

Once again. Don't you think this is a very serious issue. Maybe it's the Accountant/Auditor in me that makes me see how serious this is. In the day when we have HBCU presidents "accidentally" spending 100 freaking thousand dollars on LAWNCARE. There has to be a better checks and balance. Why have you guys not pushed the issue for turnsyles to be installed. If you're drawing 6K and only reporting 1.5K, that's alot of $ not being accounted for.

Tigerpride said:
I have found that with JSU some attendance numbers can be way off (i.e. Homecoming 2001 vs. Alabama State
:snicker:
:D

but I digress.....

I agree that we need to market our games better, but I'm still amazed at how the students apparently don't bother to show up for games. :smh:
Back when I was in school, we use to always have a full house, for every game. Mostly students too.
What an atmosphere!!!!!!!!!

WalkWitaPanther said:
I feel you on that, brotha. We need more emphasis on the marketing aspect to get people to come to the games. Believe it or not, I'm trying to do some of that with the high school BASEBALL games that I coach...........and you know where I work........LOL.

Yes I do, my brotha...yes i do.. lol...

tsutiger said:
Once again. Don't you think this is a very serious issue. Maybe it's the Accountant/Auditor in me that makes me see how serious this is. In the day when we have HBCU presidents "accidentally" spending 100 freaking thousand dollars on LAWNCARE. There has to be a better checks and balance. Why have you guys not pushed the issue for turnsyles to be installed. If you're drawing 6K and only reporting 1.5K, that's alot of $ not being accounted for.

yessir... I agree with you.... but also I look at atmosphere....

our games with less attendence are more intense (fan wise) than games that are packed. Anyone who has been to Elmore knows our crowd can be a fool. Packed games have alot of people who are there to be seen.... other games have REAL fans who are there to cheer for AAMU. I will take our crowd at a PV and Texas So game over our crowd at a Bama St game.

DAHILL said:
yessir... I agree with you.... but also I look at atmosphere....

our games with less attendence are more intense (fan wise) than games that are packed. Anyone who has been to Elmore knows our crowd can be a fool. Packed games have alot of people who are there to be seen.... other games have REAL fans who are there to cheer for AAMU. I will take our crowd at a PV and Texas So game over our crowd at a Bama St game.

I feel you when you speak of people there to be seen. I don't know if you had a chance to attended a TSU vs. MTSU game when you were a student at TSU. My sophomore or junior year that game sold out. Out of the 11K in Gentry that night only about 3K was actually paying attention to the game.

tsutiger said:
I feel you when you speak of people there to be seen. I don't know if you had a chance to attended a TSU vs. MTSU game when you were a student at TSU. My sophomore or junior year that game sold out. Out of the 11K in Gentry that night only about 3K was actually paying attention to the game.

while I was at TSU the game was played once and that was in Murfreesboro.... Me and some friends went and it was packed there .... I dont think they played any in Nashville when I was there.

WalkWitaPanther said:
Live television will KILL HBCU basketball attendance. NI**AS watching from the dorm room???? Damn Shame!!:shame: :shame: :shame:

I'm not saying that students shouldn't got the live game but have you ever walked from the back(where most of the dorms are located) to the minidome? Hell, most SU students don't feel like making that walk to class. And I think they count attendance correctly either because at the last home game attendance was announced at 1,000 something and the gym was filled to the bottom portion of the upper level. Then at the PV attendance was announced at 2,500 and even my boy was like it aint that many people here.

let's face it. i don't know if you took every swac schools athletic dept that you'd find 5 people that really know how to run the program. it can't be that hard to sell 4k season tickets. lets be real.....they can't find 4k people in houston, or baton rouge, montgomery, jackson or huntville to slap down about $150 for season tickets? if they can't they need to be fired. how about alabama state doesn't even start selling the season tickets until after the season has started.

major095 said:
let's face it. i don't know if you took every swac schools athletic dept that you'd find 5 people that really know how to run the program. it can't be that hard to sell 4k season tickets. lets be real.....they can't find 4k people in houston, or baton rouge, montgomery, jackson or huntville to slap down about $150 for season tickets? if they can't they need to be fired. how about alabama state doesn't even start selling the season tickets until after the season has started.

That SOUNDS really good major095.... question... Did you buy season tickets this year?

I think one of the biggest problems IN and AROUND black college athletics is the utter, overwhelming presence of people who wake up every morning to COMPLAIN. COMPLAINING is like BREATHING. .. Not enough people are SOLUTION oriented. Everybody would rather WATCH everything happen and COMPLAIN, rather than taking an active role.

People want a LSU type product with a Tchula High School type investment.

NOISE TALKA said:
That SOUNDS really good major095.... question... Did you buy season tickets this year?

I think one of the biggest problems IN and AROUND black college athletics is the utter, overwhelming presence of people who wake up every morning to COMPLAIN. COMPLAINING is like BREATHING. .. Not enough people are SOLUTION oriented. Everybody would rather WATCH everything happen and COMPLAIN, rather than taking an active role.

People want a LSU type product with a Tchula High School type investment.

um, I live in biloxi, 3 hrs from alcorn, 2 hrs from southern and 3 hours from bama state, the school I see play most often. my dad has 2 season tickets for bama state basketball and football. I could buy them but I wouldn't get much use for them. I only make it to about 3 or 4 games a season b/c of the distance and on a good year the swac tourney.

but I tell you what, biloxi high runs their athletic programs better than most swac schools. their basketball gym puts valley and aamu to shame, they sell season tickets for football and basketball and they do it in a timely fashion and they push for patrons of the school to invest buy purchasing the tickets.

major095 said:
um, I live in biloxi, 3 hrs from alcorn, 2 hrs from southern and 3 hours from bama state, the school I see play most often. my dad has 2 season tickets for bama state basketball and football. I could buy them but I wouldn't get much use for them. I only make it to about 3 or 4 games a season b/c of the distance and on a good year the swac tourney.

but I tell you what, biloxi high runs their athletic programs better than most swac schools. their basketball gym puts valley and aamu to shame, they sell season tickets for football and basketball and they do it in a timely fashion and they push for patrons of the school to invest buy purchasing the tickets.

That's what noise talka is talking about. Excuses. How bout buy then anyway to support your athletic program. I buy the Football Basketball season ticket combo (3) . I live in Atlanta which is 4 hours from Nashville. I didn't attend one basketball game this season. I knew when I purchased them I wasn't going to be able to attend. It's about supporting your program.

I agree. I encourage those who support Grambling to buy season tickets regardless if they can go to games or not. They can always give them to someone who they know can go. Sell them even. Imagine that.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
tsutiger said:
That's what noise talka is talking about. Excuses. How bout buy then anyway to support your athletic program. I buy the Football Basketball season ticket combo (3) . I live in Atlanta which is 4 hours from Nashville. I didn't attend one basketball game this season. I knew when I purchased them I wasn't going to be able to attend. It's about supporting your program.

maybe your right. I mean, I guess I could use the excuse that my apartment 3 blocks from the beach in biloxi, was inacessible for quite a while b/c of the hurricane and we had to live w/ my parents in alabama until schools reopened. as well, I could say that my wife and I make financial contributions to our universities that are not earmarked for athletics every year that far exceed any season tickets we could purchase. then there are my own unique excuses like I'm paying of a small mint in student loans I took on while trying to complete med school (which I didn't) and that if your not making a doctors salary, paying a doctors student loans is a little bit of a burden. but I would guess my personal situation is somewhat different than most people. I mean, how many people that went to swac schools owe more money in student loans than their parents house cost? not many I'd guess. so I'd also say that most of us swac folks can fork out $150 per season ticket even if they anticipate not being able to use them. unfortunately for me and the schools i've associated myself with, I am not, in large part due to my own inability to finish the studies that would have help me be a lager financial contributer than I currently am.

so........why don't the rest of you have season tickets?

I heard a rumor that the winner of SWAC Tournament will not have to play in that play in game. :nod:

major095 said:
maybe your right. I mean, I guess I could use the excuse that my apartment 3 blocks from the beach in biloxi, was inacessible for quite a while b/c of the hurricane and we had to live w/ my parents in alabama until schools reopened. as well, I could say that my wife and I make financial contributions to our universities that are not earmarked for athletics every year that far exceed any season tickets we could purchase. then there are my own unique excuses like I'm paying of a small mint in student loans I took on while trying to complete med school (which I didn't) and that if your not making a doctors salary, paying a doctors student loans is a little bit of a burden. but I would guess my personal situation is somewhat different than most people. I mean, how many people that went to swac schools owe more money in student loans than their parents house cost? not many I'd guess. so I'd also say that most of us swac folks can fork out $150 per season ticket even if they anticipate not being able to use them. unfortunately for me and the schools i've associated myself with, I am not, in large part due to my own inability to finish the studies that would have help me be a lager financial contributer than I currently am.

so........why don't the rest of you have season tickets?

Sorry to hear about your hardships. But in your original post you stated DISTANCE as the reason for not attending basketball games. If you ain't got it, you ain't got it. I fully understand.

Purchasing season tickets is very important. I use to think otherwise. For three years after I graduated I used my student ID to get into games free. That's why I purchase 3 season tickets every year. To make up for the three years i cheated the system.

Back