Grambling wins final Sheridan poll

mighty hornet

The HMIC!!
Congrats Grambling
Sheridan voters did the right thing
(Even though this poll should have been out weeks ago)

Golden Tigers finish second in final poll

Tuskegee?s 28-0 Pioneer Bowl victory over Virginia Union wasn?t enough to earn the Golden Tigers a second straight national championship.

Tuskegee (11-1) finished second to Grambling State (10-1) in the final SBN Sports Black College Football Poll released this week. Grambling had 298 total points and 28 of 30 first-place votes. The Golden Tigers, last year?s champions, had 272 points and two first-place votes.

Tennessee State (8-3) finished third, followed by Florida A&M (7-4) and Alabama State (8-4).

Well at least they didn' t punk out like Onnidan and try to please everyone. I guess they were just trying to keep all the TU posters happy that post on their board.

But no offense to FAM, but you should not be ranked as high. I mean I knw you won the MEAC and all, but your team wasn't that good.

Suge,

Please try to get the facts straight before making incorrect posts. Onnidan does not conduct a football poll. The poll that you are refering to, (which had GSU, and TU tied for #1), is the Black College Sports Page poll. The Black College Sports Page is publiched in Black newspapers nationwide, and is hosted electronically on the Onnidan Website. So a statement like Onnidan trying to keep TU posters happy with this poll doesn't make sense.

Congrats on BCF championship.

I did not really want to discuss this matter, but something is not right. The Sheridan Poll has not changed since December 3, 2001. The order of the teams, points totals and first place votes have remained the same since December 3, 2001. Did SBN actually tabulated the final ballots for any of these weeks? I have seen the last four ballots for one of the voters and they show changes in the last ballot submitted; therefore, the point totals should have automatically changed for some teams after the Pioneer Bowl. If the other 29 voters altered their ballots in the last poll taken, then some kind of changes should be reflected in the last poll. Something is wrong. For example, VUU dropping in the rankings will at least cause a change in the point totals.

Grambling State Named SBN Champs
January 11, 2002

GRAMBLING - The Sheridan Broadcasting Network has named Grambling State University as the SBN Black College National Football Champions for the 2001 season.

Grambling went 10-1 this season, taking it second consecutive Southwestern Athletic Conference. The Tigers were earlier named NCAA Division I National Black Champions by the American Sports Wire.

The 2001 title is the first SBN championship the Tigers have won since former coaching legend Eddie Robinson guided his team to the 1992 championship.

Grambling coach Doug Williams and his team will be honored on Feb. 23 at the 28th Annual SBN Sports Black College All-American Awards Gala at the Ritz-Carlton in Atlanta, Ga.

"This is a big honor because last year we won the Division I title and Tuskegee won the SBN title," Williams said. "It's nice to get both of them this season. The title is a tribute to the team and coaching staff and the hard work they put in to accomplish everything we did this season."

Grambling picked up 28 of 30 first-place votes, with Tuskegee garnering the other two top votes.

SBN Black College Football Poll School (1st Place Votes) Pts 2001 Record
1. Grambling State (28) 298 10-1
2. Tuskegee (2) 272 11-1
3. Tennessee State 226 8-3
4. Florida A&M 179 7-4
5. Alabama State 161 8-4
6. Southern 134 7-4
7. North Carolina A&T 112 8-3
8. Fort Valley State 82 8-3
9. Virginia Union 73 8-3
10. Hampton 37 3-4

OTHER TEAMS RECEIVING VOTES: