fh10.jpg

fh11.jpg

fh12.jpg

fh15.jpg

fh17.jpg

fh19.jpg

fh21.jpg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man, that weight room looks good. That will definitely help with recruiting. It'll help with performance too if you have a real strength coach.

Damn! Nice weight room. Good to see a few of our schools step up and provide quality facilities for the student athletes.

I wonder what SU's weight room looks like now. When I played back in 88-91, it wasn't much but it was ours.

Jag-77,

It still looks the same...for the moment. A little on the small side, but it gets the job done. The only thing missing is Coach Long. But he trained his successors well. However, it may expand and get a little upgrade since they finally decided to renovate the Mini-Dome, which took forever and a day!

Even though, I usually never have kind/nice words for Grambling, I got to admit that the weight room looks good! :tup:

Now lets get the other HBCUs on the same page!

I just hope the guys from Gram can actually lift the weights. When Bornthrilla posts his weightroom pics all of the guys are on there either posing or screaming to their spotter, "THAT'S TOOOOO MUCH. LET'S GO DOWN TO ABOUT 50 LBS."

Two things a strength coach needs is knowledge and a strong work ethic. Our current strength coach, Marshall Hayes, learned from Billy Long (arguably one of the best in the business) while he was a player at SU and also as a grad assistant.

Coach Hayes works well with the players and pushes them. I had the opportunity to meet with him (he's a friend of mine) and discuss conditioning. He really likes working with the players and is going to seminars and camps to learn more about proper nutrition, diet, and all aspect of total fitness.
He even mentioned days of aerobic training.

Plus, those hills in GSU are a proven training tool. The "voluntary" morning runs are paying off with Championship trophies.

Where do I apply.......

Man hold up.

"Bear" is the strength coach at GSU. Marshall was my "crab" on the o-line. I taught him everything he knows...

Mike.... why does Doug have so many SU former players on his staff? Marshall, Heisma, Chris........

Re: Where do I apply.......

Originally posted by jag77
Man hold up.

"Bear" is the strength coach at GSU. Marshall was my "crab" on the o-line. I taught him everything he knows...

Mike.... why does Doug have so many SU former players on his staff? Marshall, Heisma, Chris........

They were personal friends/acquaintances and good coaches.

When he got the job at Morehouse, Roach & Northern were two of the few people willing to join him there. He remembered the loyalty. Coach Hayes was hired to replace Tyrone McGriff as O Line coach.

Question for you: Why doesn't Pete have an SU grads on his staff? Also did you know that your wr coach (Dooley) attended GSU?

Coach Dooley is one of the few GSU people that I have the utmost respect for, not only as a coach, but as a man! (;) just kidding) Dooley is a good coach, and a real good guy. He coached me in high school when he was at McMain. He knows what he's doing....I think he would have fared well as Southern's OC. But I'm sure he will get that shot in the near future.

As far as Pete's staff goes, a lot of the coaches on the staff came with him from Winston-Salem when he left. Although some of them aren't there now cause they got other jobs. But, Pete does use a lot of former SU players as Grad Assistants after they finish their eligibility.

Now, why do you want to flaunt your goods in front of everybody? You know ASSu do not have a weightroom, but you want to tease them. That is not right. This should be taken to the Smack Board.

Looks good!!!!!!

Y'all will probably never, ever hear me say this again but.......<font size=5>GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!</font>

:p

Impressive. I see GSU is getting stronger (IF the kids are actually using it).

Looking forward to our Cotton Bowl fiasco. :D

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
There's nothing wrong with having folk from other programs on your staff. It helps with the diversity of thought. There are a lot of good coaches who come from other programs. The main thing is that the head coach has to feel comfortable with those persons and confident in their ability to coach.

I look for some of our coaches to move to other jobs...that's actually a good thing. There are always new coaches entering into the profession. Bringing in new blood that has made contacts while in the high school ranks is good for any program.

I hope that our coach's have head coaching or coordinator aspirations. That will require them to continuously work to improve as coaches and human beings.

BTW===> Dooley is cool people. As a Gramblinite, I'm proud of the job that he does. His loyalty is to his employer, Southern University. However, momma knows when we call he will answer.

have you no shame?

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
Now, why do you want to flaunt your goods in front of everybody? You know ASSu do not have a weightroom, but you want to tease them. That is not right. This should be taken to the Smack Board.

You should be SMACKed....let's give that a shot! :smh: The one time GSU gets some compliments from the SWAC...(even SU folks!)...the dayum JSU Tiger Cubs come to screw it up! :smh:

Oh, well just move it over to the SMACK board now. Not that I'll follow....I don't have time to argue with Jackson's Sorry University folks.

It's amazing how this went from a simple "congrats GSU" to a topic nominated for the SMACK board! :rolleyes: Go figure.

Re: have you no shame?

Originally posted by sweetnupe_6

You should be SMACKed....let's give that a shot! :smh: The one time GSU gets some compliments from the SWAC...(even SU folks!)...the dayum JSU Tiger Cubs come to screw it up! :smh:

Umm...Sn. What seems to be your baugle? Like I said at first, ASSu do not have a weight room and showing pics of yours make them feel pretty sad. That is not taking anything away from the weightroom, it is just shining light on the situation that certain people are considered blessed while others are considered unfortunate. Lets just have some sympathy for them.

Re: Re: have you no shame?

Originally posted by Blacknbengal

Umm...Sn. What seems to be your baugle? Like I said at first, ASSu do not have a weight room and showing pics of yours make them feel pretty sad. That is not taking anything away from the weightroom, it is just shining light on the situation that certain people are considered blessed while others are considered unfortunate. Lets just have some sympathy for them.

I agree with you Black that some people are not as fortunate as others, but the matter at hand here is that GSU got some new equipment and the whole 9, so just let them have their moment and not even bring up the misfortunes of others! I wouldn't really call this flaunting either....it's like getting a new car. It's not that people want to show off, it's more like sharing their blessings with friends, whether they have a car or not. Same principle if you ask me.

Re: Re: Re: have you no shame?

Originally posted by sweetnupe_6

I wouldn't really call this flaunting either....it's like getting a new car. It's not that people want to show off, it's more like sharing their blessings with friends, whether they have a car or not. Same principle if you ask me.

Ok, I am convinced. I see where you all are coming from now. Congrads GRampeX!
So, will you all share the blessing of the weightroom with ASSu's players now?

Back