Grambling gets letter from NCAA

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Maybe this has been asked already, but someone tell me.......

1. What connection does Jim Brown have with Grambling? Isn't he the one who first mention Clarret would do well to go to Grambling?

He is friends with Doug. He is also friends with Shack Harris, the Grambling alum who is now in charge of player personnel at Jacksonville. Brown talked to Harris, who called Doug. That was the only contact the school had with Clarett, and that wasn't the problem. THIS, more than anything, seems to the problem ...
2. Why would Doug Williams have a press conference holding a '13' jersey, if there had been NO contact with Clarrett, or anybody else(for that matter)????

"I came in a little light-heartedly," Williams says. "I knew a lot questions were going to be coming about the Clarett situation. It shouldn't have even been an issue with Grambling. That jersey did not have 'Clarett' on it. If I had put his name on the back of the jersey, that would have been a different thing. I would have agreed with them wholeheartedly."
(More at this link: http://www.thenewsstar.com/sports/html/48749172-91D8-40FC-8914-2DC810289915.shtml.)
3. Where's Grambling's AD in all of this? Shouldn't Doug have gotten the AD's permission to hold a press conference??? Or is the AD waving an 'I want Clarrett' sign too.......
This was at Doug's weekly press conference, not at a specially held gathering. He meets with local reporters on Tuesday mornings. Albert Dennis never attends, since these are usually so routine -- and was, in fact, out of state the day that JerseyGate broke.

Originally posted by lightningbug

This was at Doug's weekly press conference, not at a specially held gathering. He meets with local reporters on Tuesday mornings. Albert Dennis never attends, since these are usually so routine -- and was, in fact, out of state the day that JerseyGate broke.

Oh......OK Thanks for the info, Bug.....

:tup::tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Well, Taylor, you are actually getting at part of their argument: Dennis and Williams contend that this was a regularly held event where the coach made a joke -- and it got blown out of proportion.
Further, they contend that any comments made were simply responses to questions from the gathered media types.

Maybe this has been asked already, but someone tell me.......

1. What connection does Jim Brown have with Grambling? Isn't he the one who first mention Clarret would do well to go to Grambling?

2. Why would Doug Williams have a press conference holding a '13' jersey, if there had been NO contact with Clarrett, or anybody else(for that matter)????

3. Where's Grambling's AD in all of this? Shouldn't Doug have gotten the AD's permission to hold a press conference??? Or is the AD waving an 'I want Clarrett' sign too.......

:smh::confused:

TaylorMade,

1. Brown doesn't have a connection with Grambling at all. And you are right, it was Brown who mentioned that Clarret would do well at Grambling, but Clarret never said himself he wanted to go there. But for some reason, it has gotten to this point.

2. Doug did not schedule a press conference just to hold up a number 13 jersey. He was holding his usual weekley press conference. He just knew that the media who was there would have questions about the Clarret situation.

3. See the answer for #2.

Originally posted by lightningbug
Well, Taylor, you are actually getting at part of their argument: Dennis and Williams contend that this was a regularly held event where the coach made a joke -- and it got blown out of proportion.
Further, they contend that any comments made were simply responses to questions from the gathered media types.

Then I'd be correct in saying that this press conference was probably taped in it's entirety (since Clarrett's name was going to brought up)......

But it still remains that Doug is ultimately responsible for this. Joke or not, he had no business bringing a '13' jersey to the presser... And even though it didn't have Clarrett's name on it, the 'correlation' already existed......:mad: That'd be like the Eagle Colorado Sheriff's Department annoucing that they've arrested a suspect in a Sexual Assault Case, but they aren't saying who the suspect is, but the Sherriff has a L.A. Lakers jersey on......:rolleyes:

Doug was stupid.....

Then I'd be correct in saying that this press conference was probably taped in it's entirety (since Clarrett's name was going to brought up)......

But it still remains that Doug is ultimately responsible for this. Joke or not, he had no business bringing a '13' jersey to the presser... And even though it didn't have Clarrett's name on it, the 'correlation' already existed......:mad: That'd be like the Eagle Colorado Sheriff's Department annoucing that they've arrested a suspect in a Sexual Assault Case, but they aren't saying who the suspect is, but the Sherriff has a L.A. Lakers jersey on......:rolleyes:

Doug was stupid.....

Not the same thing! The Eagle Colorado Sheriff would not normally have a LA Lakers jersey. Doug has a Grambling jersey...plenty of them in fact. Plus, the sexual assault case is not a joking matter. The news conference at Grambling is not so serious.

Some of you may remember when LC was at TN State, the word got out that he [directly or indirectly] had some contact Butterfield. I remember the NCAA being on campus and basically [surmising] told LC. ?If we can prove that you had some contact with Butterfied, while he was at Michigan we are going to penalize TSU?.

Jim Brown needs to get his old razz somewhere and sit down.

Something's wrong!! The NCAA is concern about Doug, when in fact Ohio State has several issues that need to investigated. It seems like someone wants attention off of them.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
They are worn by Darien Morgan our starting punter.

Is Yanez still practicing punting or only concentrating on LB?

He did a little better job than D. Morgan is doing.....

Originally posted by JR
SOG,
Doug is not polished. You need more than coaching ability to work on the 1A level. Especially if you are an African American. That stunt he pulled reminded me of the stuff Archie Cooley used to do. We got to stop all this monkey shine stuff.

If Ty Willingham was at GSU he wouldn't have done that. If Fitz Hill was at Gram, he wouldn't have done that. Even as outspoken as Dennis Green is. He wouldn't have done that. It was not a smart move. Those 1A schools who may be interested in Doug will not like that kind of behavior and that will cause some of them to not hire you. Maybe I am just speaking as a former African American Officer in the Navy and understand how you can't be as good as them, but better than them and have to be polished with your public speaking skills and have some sense of what is appropriate to say or do. Doug does not show that in front of the camera. Remember I posted before that Doug does not have the tact, style and polish that Coach Rob did. It goes along way for (us) to have when you aspire to have those coveted big time jobs.

Now do you understand? This was no smack. I actually like Doug and wish him well. But sometimes he just does not think before he gets in front of a camera or the media. You can't be that way.
Boy yawl kill me on this site.....No one would even care if this wasn't Grambling and Doug Williams. It sounds like a lot of hater talking on here to me. People talk more about Doug going I-A than he does. Also, you can't compare any black coach to Eddie Robinson. There is no black coach out there that has more class than coach Rob and has the heaet of not only black, but "white America". It kills me how so many people knows how much "polish" a coach needs, yet and still they neither coach any teams nor are they anyones PR consultant for NCAA coaches. Grambling is Grambling and Doug is Doug. Nothing much is going to come of this, no matter how people wish it will. Continue to wish and hate on Grambling and we will continue to rise.

Originally posted by G-Man75
Boy yawl kill me on this site.....No one would even care if this wasn't Grambling and Doug Williams. It sounds like a lot of hater talking on here to me. People talk more about Doug going I-A than he does. Also, you can't compare any black coach to Eddie Robinson. There is no black coach out there that has more class than coach Rob and has the heaet of not only black, but "white America". It kills me how so many people knows how much "polish" a coach needs, yet and still they neither coach any teams nor are they anyones PR consultant for NCAA coaches. Grambling is Grambling and Doug is Doug. Nothing much is going to come of this, no matter how people wish it will. Continue to wish and hate on Grambling and we will continue to rise.

If you believe what you just typed you are either fooling yourself or have no idea. Whether Doug wants to go to a 1A school or not is not what I was saying. I responded to what SOG kindly asked. It is my opinion that you need to be very polished to get them 1A schools to even consider you as an African American to be a head coach. Just look at the brothers that have those jobs. They are all sharp, maybe more sharp than even having great coaching skills.

They aint going to hire your azz if you can't articulate or have issues on when you need to use judgement when in front of the media. This was not haterade at Gram, at least not from me. I could care less if Doug went or stayed, that is his business. I actually like Doug and think he has done a great job at GSU especially after following a legend. But he was not smart in even joking with the media about Clarett with a #13 jersey in his hand.

Especially now that we see in 1997 the NCAA has already been screwing with GSU. He should have exercised caution. I bet if Jim Brown had said that Clarett should transfer to play for Ty Willingham and ND, Ty wouldn't have been caught dead at his weekly press conference with a 13 jersey in his hand. "No Comment" would be his answer. Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

It is trivial that the NCAA sent this letter, but you know this was a warning to stay out of 1A business. Doug is outspoken and I can appreciate that. But he has to be smarter than that. He represents GSU and not himself when he speaks. All the NCAA sees is GSU and not Doug. Speaking up for Eugene last for the Payton award is one thing, this was another.

SMH@ the thoughts that we hate on GSU or Doug. It aint that serious. Just folks opinions. :(

Originally posted by JR
If you believe what you just typed you are either fooling yourself or have no idea. Whether Doug wants to go to a 1A school or not is not what I was saying. I responded to what SOG kindly asked. It is my opinion that you need to be very polished to get them 1A schools to even consider you as an African American to be a head coach. Just look at the brothers that have those jobs. They are all sharp, maybe more sharp than even having great coaching skills.

They aint going to hire your azz if you can't articulate or have issues on when you need to use judgement when in front of the media. This was not haterade at Gram, at least not from me. I could care less if Doug went or stayed, that is his business. I actually like Doug and think he has done a great job at GSU especially after following a legend. But he was not smart in even joking with the media about Clarett with a #13 jersey in his hand.

Especially now that we see in 1997 the NCAA has already been screwing with GSU. He should have exercised caution. I bet if Jim Brown had of said that Clarett should transfer to play for Ty Willingham, he wouldn't have been caught dead at his weekly press conference with a 13 jersey in his hand. "No Comment" would be his answer. Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

It is trivial that the NCAA sent this letter, but you know this was a warning to stay out of 1A business. Doug is outspoken and I can appreciate that. But he has to be smarter than that. He represents GSU and not himself when he speaks. All the NCAA sees is GSU and not Doug. Speaking up for Eugene last for the Payton award is one thing, this was another.

SMH@ the thoughts that we hate on GSU or Doug. It aint that serious. Just folks opinions. :(
Was Doug coming out with a #13 jersey any skin off of your back? Doug isn't Ty Willingham and Ty Willingham isn't Doug. Two totally different people. You can't expect every black head coach to dance by the same music. You need to respect differences. Doug is Doug, and he really doesn't give a damn what folk think about him. Personal perceptions are just like azzholes, everybody has one and it really don't matter.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

That'd be like the Eagle Colorado Sheriff's Department annoucing that they've arrested a suspect in a Sexual Assault Case, but they aren't saying who the suspect is, but the Sherriff has a L.A. Lakers jersey on......:rolleyes:

Doug was stupid.....
This schit doesn't make any sense. Your AZZ is stupid for making this off the wall statement......

Let's try (it's hard I'm sure) to remove names from what happened. In other words, say it wasn't Doug Williams and it wasn't Grambling. Okay...

1. Did he know that they would discuss Clarett?
Obviously, he had a jersey.

2. Did he expect the broadcast media?
Well, if they're gonna discuss Clarett maybe so

3. Should he have answered the question?
Somewhat...When they asked had he heard the rumor, he could have said. Yes I heard about it. Then when the asked how...he could have said "via the internet" which he did, without expounding on James Harris (they don't need to know everything)

4. When they asked if he would take him?

Then he should have paused, smiled, looked into the camera and said "No comment"

But that's just my opinion. Doug Williams knows how to be Doug Williams better than I do. Each coach/person is different.

Doug is my coach and I support him...Grambling is my school and I support them. I understand when others say what he did wasn't a wise move. Unfortunately some made the comment about "that's how Doug is" or Doug is Stupid/Dumb or Doug is Arrogant. Why not say: I think what he did was dumb or what he did seems arrogant.

You call our coach dumb and folk are gonna get upset...Especially when this was suppose to be a discussion about the letter and not about his personality. Those are merely personal opinions.

Sad...

I agree that Doug shouldn't have presented the #13 jersey at his weekly press conference, but I'm getting the impression that some of you would love to see the NCAA discover a violation in our athletic program. :(

Was Doug coming out with a #13 jersey any skin off of your back? Doug isn't Ty Willingham and Ty Willingham isn't Doug. Two totally different people. You can't expect every black head coach to dance by the same music. You need to respect differences. Doug is Doug, and he really doesn't give a damn what folk think about him. Personal perceptions are just like azzholes, everybody has one and it really don't matter.

You shole is right. Doug aint Ty Willingham. SMH.

Aint no skin off my back at all. Seems like you are more worked up than anybody. But I am through trying to explain what folks were saying to someone who has his eyes closed. :rolleyes:

Re: Sad...

Originally posted by GramTigress
I agree that Doug shouldn't have presented the #13 jersey at his weekly press conference, but I'm getting the impression that some of you would love to see the NCAA discover a violation in our athletic program. :(

I agree. Some folks probably are wanting that to happen and that is very sad. I don't want the NCAA to nose around any of our HBCUs. Especially in our conference. We have enough issues. I think some folk have been just a little too sensitive about this discussion. Doug will be alright and so will Gram. He just needs to watch what he says sometimes. But hey that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Let's try (it's hard I'm sure) to remove names from what happened. In other words, say it wasn't Doug Williams and it wasn't Grambling. Okay...

1. Did he know that they would discuss Clarett?
Obviously, he had a jersey.

2. Did he expect the broadcast media?
Well, if they're gonna discuss Clarett maybe so

3. Should he have answered the question?
Somewhat...When they asked had he heard the rumor, he could have said. Yes I heard about it. Then when the asked how...he could have said "via the internet" which he did, without expounding on James Harris (they don't need to know everything)

4. When they asked if he would take him?

Then he should have paused, smiled, looked into the camera and said "No comment"

But that's just my opinion. Doug Williams knows how to be Doug Williams better than I do. Each coach/person is different.

Doug is my coach and I support him...Grambling is my school and I support them. I understand when others say what he did wasn't a wise move. Unfortunately some made the comment about "that's how Doug is" or Doug is Stupid/Dumb or Doug is Arrogant. Why not say: I think what he did was dumb or what he did seems arrogant.

You call our coach dumb and folk are gonna get upset...Especially when this was suppose to be a discussion about the letter and not about his personality. Those are merely personal opinions.

Doug is not dumb and that's why I never post any of that crap. He's a little too radical at times. But that's Doug.

Good post MB.
You are always logical except when you think GSU will beat SU in the BC.

Originally posted by JR
You shole is right. Doug aint Ty Willingham. SMH.

Aint no skin off my back at all. Seems like you are more worked up than anybody. But I am through trying to explain what folks were saying to someone who has his eyes closed. :rolleyes:
No ones eyes are closed, you just don't know what the hell you are talking about. You don't know Doug, and you really don't know what's going on at Grambling. You just chopping your damn jaws. And don't make comments like the above, indicating that Wilingham is a better person than Doug. Willingham speaks better than Bobby Bowden or any of his boys. But I don't see you giving negativity to those white boys who sure as damn hell ain't "polished". They are white and the way you see it no matter how they do it it has to be close to "the way". IMO Willingham is just another watch what I say around master token *****'. He got his job on the rebound. How about Ty getting some damn pride. Something that Doug isn't shy of. And, I don't want to hear the "sometimes you have to swallow your pride" hoopla. Like someone posted earlier, its sad that people are wishing an NCAA probe on Grambling. A black school that educates and give kids oportunities that look like us. Hell you need "polishing". No mater how much I disliked a school. I wouldn't use the Sports Board to put them down, call names. Instead I would support and lift them up. Because just like we surf the white boards, they surf ours. All people like you do is show them the division among us. At least they know where the field stops. This isn't the SMACK BOARD........

No ones eyes are closed, you just don't know what the hell you are talking about. You don't know Doug, and you really don't know what's going on at Grambling. You just chopping your damn jaws. And don't make comments like the above, indicating that Wilingham is a better person than Doug. Willingham speaks better than Bobby Bowden or any of his boys. But I don't see you giving negativity to those white boys who sure as damn hell ain't "polished". They are white and the way you see it no matter how they do it it has to be close to "the way". IMO Willingham is just another watch what I say around master token *****'. He got his job on the rebound. How about Ty getting some damn pride. Something that Doug isn't shy of. And, I don't want to hear the "sometimes you have to swallow your pride" hoopla. Like someone posted earlier, its sad that people are wishing an NCAA probe on Grambling. A black school that educates and give kids oportunities that look like us. Hell you need "polishing". No mater how much I disliked a school. I wouldn't use the Sports Board to put them down, call names. Instead I would support and lift them up. Because just like we surf the white boards, they surf ours. All people like you do is show them the division among us. At least they know where the field stops. This isn't the SMACK BOARD........

You missed the whole point. :smh:

From McNeese72

I agree with Dr. Mac. I think the whole thing is been blown out of proportion and nothing will come of it. The letter is just a warning to I-AA schools (not necessarily just HBCU's) that they better be careful not to initiate contacts with I-A athletes looking to transfer. I think Texas St. (SWT) also had such an incident this summer.

Doc:

I acknowledged in both of my posts that the NCAA is sending a message to smaller schools as well as HBCU's. My comment that this is especially aimed at HBCU's is due to a couple of factors.

First, Jim Brown. Brown's statement;

"I think that if the Claretts would consider transferring, Grambling would be an ideal situation for the kid," Brown told ESPN Radio's Bob Valvano. "Doug Williams is a great coach. He could hone his game. He'd be in school. It's a great situation. Doug would be perfect for the kid, but that's up to him and his mother."

Despite what some might think about him, this comment, coming from a Hall of Famer who some think was the greatest football player of all time, will resonate in the minds of some of the players and families of kids who otherwise would not have considered going to an HBCU. A few of us who live outside of the south and other areas where HBCU's are located have commented about how hard it is to get many African American athletes who live where we live to consider going to our schools. Because of his stature, and because of the perceived caliber of a player like Clarret, Brown's statement might be viewed by many at the bigger schools as potentially iniating a flood of athletes back to HBCU's. And try as they might, there are some environmental factors at HBCU's that are positives for African American athletes that just can't be duplicated at the larger schools (nor smaller PWC's either) . Brown's statement "it's a great situation," in part, speaks to that. Further, too many of the kids being recruited by the bigger schools still come from backgrounds where none of the parents have gone to college. Thus, the parents are influenced by the "marketing and names" of the programs as well. Brown pointing out that HBCU's are viable alternatives negates some of that, and the bigger schools fear this.

The potential long term effect of this would be on recruiting and the bigger schools sustaining their status. What if an HBCU could establish its football program as "the school for black athletes" similarly to the way Notre Dame has established the niche that it enjoys (whatever it is:))? (Actually, I think this is what FAMU is trying to do). Again, this would probably attract athletes away from the bigger schools that they would have wanted. This would, in turn, impact their success and, potentially, their bottom line.

Finally, issues of race are not extinct in this country. Regardless of the reasons and/or enticements, the question of if a "black student was treated fairly, due to race by a coach, etc., at a big PWC is a factor in the student's transfer to a HBCU" will exist in the minds of some. And if its not the case, its not fair to the school the kid left or is thinking about leaving; but yet the perception might still be there. The impact would, again, be on future recruiting efforts. Thus, the best way to dissuade this situation from occuring is to nip any perceived attempts of the student leaving, in this case by the HBCU, in the bud fast and decisively.

All of this is about turf and protecting it, and in the case of the bigger schools, BCS dollars. They look at all factors regardless of whether they be athletic, competitive, social, and yes, racial and the perceived impact of them. And egos are at play here as well (i.e., "how dare they......."). We can never forget about that. That might be the biggest factor in the whole thing.

Regards.

Back