J-State Tiger

Senate Candidate #7
<BIG class=pr></BIG>
<BIG class=pr></BIG>
<BIG class=pr>AP</BIG>
Wachovia loses $8.9B, cuts 6,350 workers, dividend
Tuesday July 22, 11:08 am ET
By Ieva M. Augstums, AP Business Writer
<TABLE height=4 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=4></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Wachovia slashes dividend, jobs, to shut mortgage unit after $8.86B loss in second quarter

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Wachovia Corp. reported a surprisingly large second-quarter loss Tuesday, deflating Wall Street's hopes that the nation's big banks are weathering the credit crisis well. The nation's fourth-largest bank by assets said it lost $8.86 billion, is slashing its dividend and eliminating 10,750 positions after losses tied to mortgages soared.

Even excluding one-time items, the results substantially missed Wall Street estimates.

"These bottom-line results are disappointing and unacceptable," Chairman Lanty Smith said in a statement. "While to some degree they reflect industry headwinds and weaker macroeconomic conditions, they also reflect performance for which we at Wachovia accept responsibility."
Wachovia said it lost the equivalent of $4.20 per share in the April-June period. In the same timeframe last year, the bank earned $2.34 billion, or $1.22 per share.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080722/earns_wachovia.html?.v=19

I'm drawing 16% interest on my savings account w/ this Way2Save promotion. When that's over I may consider it. $8 Billion? Yikes.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm drawing 16% interest on my savings account w/ this Way2Save promotion. When that's over I may consider it. $8 Billion? Yikes.

Yerp!! I am lovin WAY2SAVE! That move was necessary.. EVERY BANK is gonna have to follow Wachovia's lead...per usual.

LMAO....wow..I just had an interview with them YESTERDAY....they talked on this situation...but showed figures that says they'll be ok even if they didn't take deposits for the next THREE years.....but ionno...

~walks out~

Back