Georgia finally gets a Republican Governor!!

Media Guy

Great day in the State of Georgia. We have our first Republican Governor since the days of Reconstruction. Props also to Jeb Bush for winning the Florida Governor's race for another term.

Almost everybody I voted for won. My votes went to two Democrats and the rest Republicans. Glad my vote helped kick out a Democrat Governor and kick a Democrat out the Senate. Georgia has Zell Miller(Democrat) in Congress. Zell speaks his own mind and does not totally subscribe to Democrat ideas. Saxby Chambliss and Zell Miller will get things done in Congress.

People are getting tired of sorry Democrats. Here is a small list that are gone Cynthia McKinney, Billy McKinney, Max Cleland, and Roy Barnes.

Put up and shut up time for the Republicans. Time to get to work.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I hate it that Chambliss ran a gutter campaign to question the patriotism of Vietnam Vet and triple amputee Max Cleland. Perdue can probably thank the flag issue. I feel that the Confederate emblem will be back on the Georgia flag soon.

Nevertheless, it is put up or shut time for the republicans.

Media Guy,

How is Roy Barnes a sorry Democrat??

You're right it's time time to put up or shut up but how will Perdue get it done. I fully expect him to change colors in office, you know he's done it before.....

"Liberal" and "Clinton"

Those are the only words the GOP knows. If you listen to conservative talk show hosts, you would think Clinton was God. He was everywhere, all of the time.

Expect to catch he!! over the next couple of years and the deficit will go up, crime will go up, the market will go down and the rich will get richer.

If you are the richest 1%, then it is a great day. Note: Invest in defense stocks, big oil and corporate greed. That's the mood of the country.

It's like I a say: hicks and war talk are a winning GOP combination.

LaMont, thanks for your response. The tax cuts benefit the richest 1-5% of this nation. The poor, working class, and middle class will not benefit. Note that republicans have a bad record on balancing the federal budget.

Understand this. Barnes is a conservative. I remember when he was a state senator.

Note my comment from another thread.

Originally posted by EB
sophandros, I got your back, and those are good responses,. I could not have made them better myself. You stated your points very well. If you were a part of the leadership of the democrat party, the results from last night would have been different. They need a person with backbone like you. Too many democrats are too accommodating to Bush.

Republicans have a bad record on balancing the federal budget. They have never balanced the budget in a long time if ever.

With the republicans in control of the executive branch, Congress and the federal courts, they can blame no one but themselves. They cannot blame Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, Tom Daschle, Pat Leahy, Black rapists nor Black welfare mothers. They have to perform. It is put up or shut up time for them.

Re: "Liberal" and "Clinton"

Originally posted by LaMont
Those are the only words the GOP knows. If you listen to conservative talk show hosts, you would think Clinton was God. He was everywhere, all of the time.

Expect to catch he!! over the next couple of years and the deficit will go up, crime will go up, the market will go down and the rich will get richer.

If you are the richest 1%, then it is a great day. Note: Invest in defense stocks, big oil and corporate greed. That's the mood of the country.

It's like I a say: hicks and war talk are a winning GOP combination.

And they try to equate the two. Bill Clinton is SLIGHTLY Left of center, while Hillary is a little to HIS right. And why continue to bring him up, anyway? It's been two years!!! And all they have on him is Lewinsky, which I personally don't care about. I don't recall the "Liberal Media" ripping Bush I two years after he left office. And how are the media Liberal? They are run by about six corporate conglomerates. Last time I checked, you don't find too many bleeding hearts in board rooms.

Re: Re: "Liberal" and "Clinton"

Oh, and how Liberal was the media during the "scandal" over the "disarray" of the White House? Or durin their "journalism" on the "War Against Terror?"

Puh-lease. Liberal Media my arse.

Originally posted by EB
I hate it that Chambliss ran a gutter campaign to question the patriotism of Vietnam Vet and triple amputee Max Cleland. Perdue can probably thank the flag issue. I feel that the Confederate emblem will be back on the Georgia flag soon.

Nevertheless, it is put up or shut time for the republicans.

It's funny how someone can be a war here,people think of him as a good representative, and people think of him as a likable, but this whole "everyone should be on the side of Bush" sentiment can cost him an election.

It has to be a sad day in my home state. What are the ga. implants thinking coming here voting for a GOP gov. :(

I received some messages from the people back home and they are saying that the democrats did not run a smart campaign.

The TV talking heads said that Ralph Reed did.

After how Zell Miller won the governor's chair and Bill Clinton winning president, this is no excuse for the democrats to run a bad campaign anywhere, especially in Georgia.

Originally posted by EB
I received some messages from the people back home and they are saying that the democrats did not run a smart campaign.

The TV talking heads said that Ralph Reed did.

After how Zell Miller won the governor's chair and Bill Clinton winning president, this is no excuse for the democrats to run a bad campaign anywhere, especially in Georgia.

Zell Miller was a great governor for the State of Georgia. Zell is an independent thinker and does not always subscibe to Democratic ideas and goals. He is one of the FEW Democrats I would vote for. Georgia is fortunate to have him in Congress.

Originally posted by Media Guy

Zell Miller was a great governor for the State of Georgia. Zell is an independent thinker and does not always subscibe to Democratic ideas and goals. He is one of the FEW Democrats I would vote for. Georgia is fortunate to have him in Congress.

There is a reason why they call him Zig Zag Zell. He had some progressive measures as a governor and lieutenant governor and is now acting like a conservative as a senator. (Remember that the lottery was his idea.) If he was running this year as oppose to Cleland, who voted with Bush about 30% of the time (including the tax cuts), he (Miller) would have trouble winning re-election.

Now that we have "these people" in office, I may lose my HOPE scholarship, and that lovely flag that brought so much controversy will grace our poles once gain
FIREdevil.gif
. And how many senate seats did the republican parties gain???? We're going to have that "Great SPeaker" we call a president back in office four more years. (D**n the electorial college...go for the POPULAR vote!)

Republicans, at least in Alabama, SUCK.

Wouldn't vote for any of those "David Dukes" if you held a gun to my head. All they do is find some issue to galvanize p-woods that don't have anything to do with moving Alabama forward, bringing in new jobs, improving education and improving the state's image,, in essence anything to promote population growth, because if you have an influx of people from other regions, the old traditions and ways of thinking will be increasingly challenge and dilluted. Every republican in Alabama has got the SOLID backing of every klansman in Alabama(they are nothing more than the descendants of the "citizen's councils" of the 50s and 60s that went to school and are now in politics), thus I just can't give them my vote,, and I would consider myself a "conservative", law & order, pro-business democrat. They don't have any interest in progress in Alabama, only in keeping things the same.:mad: :redhot:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by EB
The tax cuts benefit the richest 1-5% of this nation. The poor, working class, and middle class will not benefit.

I have heard this so many times since before Bush was elected. Can someone explain to me how the tax cuts don't benefit everyone? I'm far from being in the top 5% of the nation, and I see no problem at all with the cuts.

Retraction to my post

Well,, not EVERY republican,,, but the hardcore ones that were dixiecrats back in the 60s i'm saying.

Well it is better than having Cooter Davenport form the Dukes of Hazard in office in the U.S. Senate.

But serious though people. I feel something fishy about all of this and it doesn't look good at all. Though the Democratic party speaks for the majority of the voters in the U.S. how come you have republicans in office. DO people actually know what is going on or are they jumping on a bandwagon.

B, what you said about Alabama you could say about Georgia, especially after this last election. The flag issue is a perfect example. Perdue has no choice but to carry out his campaign promise-for political reasons.

Originally posted by twskls
Hmm. No response? That's what I thought.

Don't sweat. I had not been in the Round Table Discussion for a couple of days.

The tax cuts of the Bushes and those of Reagan benefited the wealthy for a number of reasons. For starters with the tax breaks that they get, the wealthy, especially the very wealthy, was not missing too much of the money that they paid in taxes.

Since they get their tax cuts, the government still needs to get the revenue. So other taxes, like sales, could be and have been raised. By that a person with my income will be paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes than someone who is wealthy. Understand. I would love to pay fewer taxes. But when a politician says that they are for less taxes, I learned long ago to listen very carefully to what they are saying and what they are not saying. Look for Georgia to maybe cut the income tax but raise the sales tax.

During the Reagan years, there were the tax cuts. But there were also the budget cuts. One place that experienced cuts was college financial aid. (There were many other areas.) Many students were hurt by those cuts. There were budget cuts across the board. This included education, environmental protection, and law enforcement. Many law enforcement officials were not too happy with the Reagan administration. Some people are grumbling about the funding in these and other areas under this administration.

During the 1980's the budget deficit under Reagan was more than the deficits from George Washington to Jimmy Carter combined. From what I could see, Reagan and the senior Bush did not submit a balanced budget to the Congress. They gave people, mainly the rich, the tax cuts. But everyone had to endure the budget deficit. The budget had to come down. It did during the nineties. But unfortunately, it is coming back under this administration.

In Texas Bush proposed and got a property tax reduction for the large property owners around '99. Understand that Texas had a budget surplus. Now, Texas is about to experience a budget shortfall. Did you read something like that earlier? So for TSU and PV, I wonder how much money they will get, especially after the federal government reports on funding the two schools.

Understand a few things. I do not hate a person for being rich. Heck, I wished I had a lot more money. Also, I would not mind paying fewer taxes. April 15 is not one of my favorite days. This is the case whether I filed my tax returns early or late. But sales taxes are not one of my favorite taxes either. But things like schools, upkeep of the roads, law enforcement and many other areas need to be funded. Someone has to pay for these services. Budgets need to be balanced. This includes the federal government's budget.

Trust me. This is a short explanation. It could be a lot longer. But I have learned to listen to what a politician says and what they do not say.

I understand that when there are tax cuts, it's never as clean as they try to make it look. I guess the reason I don't understand the view a lot of people seem to be taking is because I look at the percentages. I know this is obvious, but: If everyone in the U.S. gets a 1% tax cut, of course the rich benefit more since 1% of their income is much larger than that of a poor person. However, the rich are already paying the bulk of the taxes, so why should they sit and watch everyone else get breaks while they continue to pay an obscene amount of money to the government? And it's the same as far as sales taxes go. The rich spend more money, therefore they will pay more due to the increase in sales taxes.
The way I see it, the rich deserve the breaks along with everyone else, and it should always be based on percentages. I know there are people suffering just to make it through the day, but every day I grow more and more callous to the situation. I watched someone in front of me at the grocery store use a Lone Star card (food stamps) to buy food and then pay cash for beer and cigarettes. Illegal aliens come over here, play the system, and use my tax dollars to buy brand new SUV's. I know there are Senators sitting in Hawaii on my tax dollar right now, but the things I've seen with my own eyes have made me believe that I should watch out for number one. If I have a problem with the rich having more than me, it's my job to become one of them.

Originally posted by twskls
I understand that when there are tax cuts, it's never as clean as they try to make it look. I guess the reason I don't understand the view a lot of people seem to be taking is because I look at the percentages. I know this is obvious, but: If everyone in the U.S. gets a 1% tax cut, of course the rich benefit more since 1% of their income is much larger than that of a poor person. However, the rich are already paying the bulk of the taxes, so why should they sit and watch everyone else get breaks while they continue to pay an obscene amount of money to the government? And it's the same as far as sales taxes go. The rich spend more money, therefore they will pay more due to the increase in sales taxes.
The way I see it, the rich deserve the breaks along with everyone else, and it should always be based on percentages. I know there are people suffering just to make it through the day, but every day I grow more and more callous to the situation. I watched someone in front of me at the grocery store use a Lone Star card (food stamps) to buy food and then pay cash for beer and cigarettes. Illegal aliens come over here, play the system, and use my tax dollars to buy brand new SUV's. I know there are Senators sitting in Hawaii on my tax dollar right now, but the things I've seen with my own eyes have made me believe that I should watch out for number one. If I have a problem with the rich having more than me, it's my job to become one of them.

As I alluded to before, I am not a fan of April 15. Everyone would like to pay less taxes. Just like they would like to pay less for goods and services. But people have to pay taxes for services like education, public safety and environmental protection.

Also, I do not have a problem with someone being rich. People like the late Sam Walton, David and Loren Rockefeller, Ted Turner, Mark Cuban, Bill Gates, and Paul Allen are very rich. I do not have a problem with that. But I have a problem with people like Donald Trump getting numerous and needless tax breaks. I had a problem with the republicans almost blaming Black welfare mothers for the government waste. It is easy to go after Black welfare mothers. (There are more White welfare mothers.) It takes a little work to go after the (White male) corporate crooks.

About 12 years ago the Congress and the president agreed to increase the luxury tax, another sales tax. So what did the rich do? They got smart and stopped buying the luxury items. The companies who made them laid off their workers.

Again I do not have a problem with someone being rich. Heck, I wished I had a lot more money myself. But I do have a problem with the huge budget deficit, especially when the government told us to tighten our belts. And I did not have a problem with the wealthy paying a little more of their income in taxes. I do not have a problem now. I will not lose sleep over it. After all they wil still be very rich.

Yes, there is government waste and abuse. But lower taxes on the rich will not automatically end it.

Back