Former Grambling football assistant reacts to firing of Broderick Fobbs: ‘Good luck trying to fill those shoes’

They had enough money to fire Fobbs and pay off his salary per his contract. We all know Fobbs was your buddy but he is gone now let’s get behind whoever is the new coach.
When you call a coach at LSU about the job and he turns you down, then recommends the coach that you fired, that speaks volumes and tells you how dumb of a move that was.

Gotta question. Why haven’t we found a coach yet since we bought out Coach Fobbs’s Contract? Today is December 6th and early signing day is December 15th. We should have a coach by now with the money that we have, right?

Reality, we “f’ed” up by firing Fobbs without a definite replacement. Dooley said, “No.”. Bruce Eugene is a definite “No.”. Now what?

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
When you call a coach at LSU about the job and he turns you down, then recommends the coach that you fired, that speaks volumes and tells you how dumb of a move that was.

Gotta question. Why haven’t we found a coach yet since we bought out Coach Fobbs’s Contract? Today is December 6th and early signing day is December 15th. We should have a coach by now with the money that we have, right?

Reality, we “f’ed” by firing Fobbs without a definite replacement. Dooley said, “No.”. Bruce Eugene is a definite “No.”. Now what?

Why are you asking me questions like I am the AD. Seems like you love Fobbs more than Grambling and that is fine. Your issues are directed at the wrong person. I am just a random alum on the internet who sends his money in to university doesn’t act like I have power to make decisions. Call Dr. Scott with these questions not me.

Reality, we “f’ed” by firing Fobbs without a definite replacement. Dooley said, “No.”. Bruce Eugene is a definite “No.”. Now what?

Why are you asking me questions like I am the AD. Seems like you love Fobbs more than Grambling and that is fine. Your issues are directed at the wrong person. I am just a random alum on the internet who sends his money in to university doesn’t act like I have power to make decisions. Call Dr. Scott with these questions not me.
Coaching is a very tough job with a what have you done for me lately mindset but only 1 team can be the champion. In 2018, Grambling loss 3 conference games by a total of 23 points (two to the east and west div. Champs). In 2019, same thing by a total of 11 points. Folks are irrational and say they overlook the Covid spring season but in actuality they don’t. The only really bad year Fobbs had was fall, this season if one can overlook that fickle spring season and all that was involved with it. None of this will change anything and normally rational folks are unforgiving regardless of facts. IMHO, it will be hard for Grambling to find a better leader than Fobbs. Grambling has the pedigree and will eventually turn it around, but it could have happen with Fobbs and he is way better than a lot of folks emotionally invested gives him credit for.

Coaching is a very tough job with a what have you done for me lately mindset but only 1 team can be the champion. In 2018, Grambling loss 3 conference games by a total of 23 points (two to the east and west div. Champs). In 2019, same thing by a total of 11 points. Folks are irrational and say they overlook the Covid spring season but in actuality they don’t. The only really bad year Fobbs had was fall, this season if one can overlook that fickle spring season and all that was involved with it. None of this will change anything and normally rational folks are unforgiving regardless of facts. IMHO, it will be hard for Grambling to find a better leader than Fobbs. Grambling has the pedigree and will eventually turn it around, but it could have happen with Fobbs and he is way better than a lot of folks emotionally invested gives him credit for.

People are emotional and sadly make decisions off emotion. I supported Fobbs as head coach because I believe coaching goes beyond wins and loses. Look at his graduation rate. Hell he has players on the team who are red shirt sophomores but are working on their Masters.

I also believe that many of the alum have no idea of what was required of Fobbs in his meeting with the president and AD. Many alum feel re do not have all resources to compete. Yet, we do not not know if Fobbs requested these items when his contract was renegotiated. Ultimately there is fiscal support that GSU needs to supply to al of athletics. At the end GSU Administration wanted more and felt that the most historic HBCU football program and one of the most storied programs should not have been ranking at the bottom of the SWAC.

My opinion....the next head coach should not be a GSU alum. I feel that accountability is problematic when you hire an alum because the requirements become more family and friends oriented.

You should be a concerned alumni if you’re sending money to our “G.” But that’s your money and that’s your choice to just give. But I know that you want to know where your money. We should hold our administration accountable for every dollar that we send to Grambling. You are so worried about my connection with Coach Fobbs when the bigger point is that we have no solution for replacing a good coach who saved us from international shame. We fire a coach without the proper approval and have no replacement yet. For football, coaches need to be in place before December 15th early signing day. If you’re don’t know, this is when high school recruits starts making decisions about where they want to commit their talents and choose their college. I’m not assuming that you know. Since Grambling has no coach, any potential recruit will go elsewhere. Have you been watching the coaching moves have been taking place at LSU, USC, and Miami?
Again, we as alumni should demand some answers since we are supporting our G. Dr. Scott and President have been contacted and still no action. C’mon Man! Act like you care! SMH

Mannnn….This is sick!

Money talks GramFam

BINGO!!!! This seems to be the issue with a lot of so called "Gramfam"

People are emotional and sadly make decisions off emotion. I supported Fobbs as head coach because I believe coaching goes beyond wins and loses. Look at his graduation rate. Hell he has players on the team who are red shirt sophomores but are working on their Masters.

I also believe that many of the alum have no idea of what was required of Fobbs in his meeting with the president and AD. Many alum feel re do not have all resources to compete. Yet, we do not not know if Fobbs requested these items when his contract was renegotiated. Ultimately there is fiscal support that GSU needs to supply to al of athletics. At the end GSU Administration wanted more and felt that the most historic HBCU football program and one of the most storied programs should not have been ranking at the bottom of the SWAC.

My opinion....the next head coach should not be a GSU alum. I feel that accountability is problematic when you hire an alum because the requirements become more family and friends oriented.
Like when we hired Broadway? Great move, but look how it ended…

Like when we hired Broadway? Great move, but look how it ended…

People say we ran Broadway away....we didn't...the dude wanted to get away for a few years after his wife passed away. This is evident by him taking a job at a program that was the footstool of the MEAC for years and then rebuilding them. Broadway's thinking did not jive with GSU overall. Let's be honest....to be a coach at GSU you have to politically navigate the alumni and make certain folk feel special.

That's the reason I don't want an alum as head coach.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
People say we ran Broadway away....we didn't...the dude wanted to get away for a few years after his wife passed away. This is evident by him taking a job at a program that was the footstool of the MEAC for years and then rebuilding them. Broadway's thinking did not jive with GSU overall. Let's be honest....to be a coach at GSU you have to politically navigate the alumni and make certain folk feel special.

That's the reason I don't want an alum as head coach.
Correction Nupe, when Doug's Son committed to Grambling at QB, the Doug Lovers came outta the box and wanted Doug to coach his son. Broadway caught wind of of it wanted no parts of that situation. It didn't help Broadway when he called the Bayou Classic "a dog and pony show." Our fan base didn't like Coach Broadway because he was not a "butt kisser" to the alumni. I'm ok with that. He didn't want to get into that BS and political crap that we do.

Correction Nupe, when Doug's Son committed to Grambling at QB, the Doug Lovers came outta the box and wanted Doug to coach his son. Broadway caught wind of of it wanted no parts of that situation. It didn't help Broadway when he called the Bayou Classic "a dog and pony show." Our fan base didn't like Coach Broadway because he was not a "butt kisser" to the alumni. I'm ok with that. He didn't want to get into that BS and political crap that we do.

GSU alum were mad because he interviewed with NC A&T. They were screaming about the BMW being driven all across the East Coast. You know some of our alumni have the mind of an acorn.

GSU alum were mad because he interviewed with NC A&T. They were screaming about the BMW being driven all across the East Coast. You know some of our alumni have the mind of an acorn.
He got treated like isht! I use to connect with him at Pat Bibbs House and I could tell that he was not comfortable around some Gramblinites.

He got treated like isht! I use to connect with him at Pat Bibbs House and I could tell that he was not comfortable around some Gramblinites.

LOL...hell I'm not comfortable around some Gramblinites. Correction....he was treated like shi! by some. He came to DC and had a good time when he was coach. He went to a DC picnic and was out having drinks with some of us.

My attitude is that I will support whomever the coach is. Was I bothered when Fobbs was terminated. Yes....but after hearing his comments post termination I was ok with it because he was ok and wanted GRAMFAM to be ok.

The way he dominated Southern in the final 2 Bayou Classics was something to behold - haven't been like that since

A&T treated him like one of their own and see what happened - a guy like that just needs the basics to win - not the flashy stuff and players will respond.

Back