Florida fires Zook and his staff

EB

I just saw an article over ESPN.

I think that the talent was not as good as they, the Gator folks, thought it was after Spurrier left. When Florida played Miami in the Sugar Bowl, I thought that Butch Davis' 'Canes were better coached than Spurrier's Gators. Florida is young. But these days a coach has to win now.

Spurrier's arrogance cost him in Washington. He should have known that the fun and gun would not work in the NFL like it did in college.

But despite my Spurrier bashing, I am glad that he did beat Georgia.

-----

Zook was 20-13 in three seasonshttp://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1908871

The Florida Gators have fired third-year football coach Ron Zook and his staff, ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit reported Monday.

Athletic director Jeremy Foley will meet with members of the team this afternoon and then announce that Zook and his staff will coach the team for the remainder of the season, Herbstreit reported.

DAMN, you talk about not wasting any time.

But I'm REALLY surprised they did this during the week of the GA game.

ok, I just read the article and I see where the firing is effective at the end of the season.

WHY?????????????????????????

:smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I did not expect this even after their loss to Miss. State. After all they are young.

But understand that this is the SEC where the unexpected happens.

Whoever follows the staff will have a lot of talent around them. Zook did recruit well.

See, this is what I'm talking about. Make a decision. Hey Judson, do you see this.

Nip it in the bud, before it gets out of hand.

Now that Zook's out, who's in?

I know that Spurrier is the #1 candidate but if, for whatever reason, Spurrier doesn't come back, then who are some of the other possible candidates?

Tigerpride said:
If you are going to let them stay, why announce the firing. Bad move.

Well, he actually has done them a favor. By firing them now and announcing it those coaches are under even more pressure to win. Why? Because human nature would expect for them to NGAF, but there future careers are dependent on how they close out the season, knowing they are GONE.

Da_Sperm said:
Well, he actually has done them a favor. By firing them now and announcing it those coaches are under even more pressure to win. Why? Because human nature would expect for them to NGAF, but there future careers are dependent on how they close out the season, knowing they are GONE.

Maybe but they would have fought just as hard to KEEP their jobs. If I was them, I would quit. I'm sure they can afford to....the top assistants anyway.

Tigerpride said:
If I was them, I would quit. I'm sure they can afford to....the top assistants anyway.

TP,

Why quit, unless you have another job waiting on you? And that is doubtful in the middle of the season. No matter how much money you have, I wouldn't advise leaving that kind of money on the table.

I guess it is not not acceptable in the South to lose to a BLACK Head Coach???

Fla lost to Tenn and hardly anything was said. Now I know that Tenn on paper (supposedly) has better talent and an established (in the SEC) coach BUT Mr. CROOM has over 25 years of coaching experience on the college and professional level.

.........Or maybe they(Fla Alumni & Admin) were just looking for a way to get Spurrier back in the fold????

Tigerpride said:
Maybe but they would have fought just as hard to KEEP their jobs. If I was them, I would quit. I'm sure they can afford to....the top assistants anyway.
Just when I thought he was making sense :retard:
But like Straw said "they're just looking to get Spurrier back into the fold"

STRAWDOG said:
I guess it is not not acceptable in the South to lose to a BLACK Head Coach???

Fla lost to Tenn and hardly anything was said. Now I know that Tenn on paper (supposedly) has better talent and an established (in the SEC) coach BUT Mr. CROOM has over 25 years of coaching experience on the college and professional level.

.........Or maybe they(Fla Alumni & Admin) were just looking for a way to get Spurrier back in the fold????

Dude ................. :retard:

This is a team that has won ONLY 2 damm game's a year for the last 3 years. 2 weeks before this, THEY LOST TO 1-AA MAINE.

Has nothing to do with losing to a black head coach. These people been wanting Zook out every since his 4 loss 1st season.

Besides .................STEVE SPURRIER NEVER BEAT MS. STATE AT STARKSVILLE EITHER. :swink:

jstate83 said:

This is a team that has won ONLY 2 damm game's a year for the last 3 years. 2 weeks before this, THEY LOST TO 1-AA MAINE.

Has nothing to do with losing to a black head coach. These people been wanting Zook out every since his 4 loss 1st season.

Besides .................STEVE SPURRIER NEVER BEAT MS. STATE AT STARKSVILLE EITHER. :swink:
Yeah but losing to a Black coach just added more fuel to the fire. I lived down in Florida for a while and I know pretty much the psyhe down there. I was watching the game and MSU was giving the Gators fits. Really and trully MSU has always had the Gators number, if I'm not mistaken MSU has beaten Florida when Spurrier was there. The Black coach angle;there's probally something to it.

They beat Spurrier EVERY TIME he came to Starksville.

Spurrier is 0- whatever on the campus of Ms. State.

With all the talent that Starksville is going to start getting now, they better get used to a black coach kicking their arses.

That running back, #12 Jarious Norwood, was MR. Football in Mississippi 2 years ago at Brandon and finished on the USATODAY All American Highschool team that year.

They have several more, but a lot of kids didn't go because of Jackie S. That's going to change now. :swink:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm not buying the black coach angle.

Bottomline is Zook was not as successful as the Old Ball Coach and they don't like losing. I'm sure loosing to a team they thought was below them is what did Zook in more than anything.

Interesting how traditionless schools fall back to their traditional/inconsistent ways after a coach leaves....

Prior to Spurrier -- UF was as traditionless as they come -- reminds me of another ......

Deuce said:
TP,

Why quit, unless you have another job waiting on you? And that is doubtful in the middle of the season. No matter how much money you have, I wouldn't advise leaving that kind of money on the table.

Their contracts prolly expire in 2-3 months anyway...they ain't leaving that much on the table. I would tell Florida to kiss my grits.

I think that the last time Spurrier went there Florida got spanked 47-35.

MACBFAC said:
Just when I thought he was making sense :retard:

I have to say OUCH to that though it was not towards me.

The only reason I can see firing them this early (instead of say, the week of the last game) is they have given up on this season, and want to get first crack at whoever is gonna be available and in a position to move on it immediatly. I don't think the Black coach thing is what is it all about, but it probably made it easier to do.

Lewis said:
The only reason I can see firing them this early (instead of say, the week of the last game) is they have given up on this season, and want to get first crack at whoever is gonna be available and in a position to move on it immediatly. I don't think the Black coach thing is what is it all about, but it probably made it easier to do.

I agree. Consider that this is a Black coach with a bad team.

jstate83 said:

:retard: Dude :retard:
You are definitely out of your wig if you don't think that losing to a BLACK Head Coach had something to do with this announcement in this 2nd half of the football season. My comments were not directed towards anyone and certainly not intended as smack. If there is a retard anywhere on this board.........bleeping id'git!!!:retard: :retard: :retard:

STRAWDOG said:
You are definitely out of your wig if you don't think that losing to a BLACK Head Coach had something to do with this announcement in this 2nd half of the football season. My comments were not directed towards anyone and certainly not intended as smack. If there is a retard anywhere on this board.........bleeping id'git!!!:retard: :retard: :retard:

First of all ID'GIT ............. Go take an ex-lax and lighten your 70 year old arse up.

2nd ..................... I could care less why ZOOK was fired. That MF ain't put no food on my table.

3rd ..............You want to get into this type of shat with me, I could care less about getting banned because your temper tantrum throwing arse want to get all hot because someone has a different take on the situation than yours.

MF ......Grow tha fu*K up. :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :fart:

GSUperTiger said:
Interesting how traditionless schools fall back to their traditional/inconsistent ways after a coach leaves....

Prior to Spurrier -- UF was as traditionless as they come......

GSUper Tiger,

YOU ARE SO RIGHT.

I get into arguments all the time with people (who obviously have only been watching college football for about ten years) about the fact that before Spurrier took over at Florida, Florida was a middle-of-the-pack team in the SEC, and had been so for DECADES ! ! ! Before Spurrier, Florida was basically what Ole Miss is today ! ! !

In the 70 to 80 years (maybe more) that Florida was in the SEC before Spurrier, they had won exactly ONE SEC Championship, and that one was stripped of them by the NCAA, so in actuality, they had won NO SEC Championships, and NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Sure, they ran the SEC for a minute under Spurrier, but the SCE has been around for a lot longer than a "minute".

Bama, on the other hand, is getting waxed lately, with all of their recent NCAA problems, but Bama has won at least 21 SEC Championships, and 12 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS, going back as far as 1921.

THAT, MY FRIENDS, IS TRADITION.

STRAWDOG said:
It's amazing what some will say when others dont agree. :shame:

Back