FAMU "Financially" shuts down football program

Good analysis and commentary, Jafus.

I proposed a 12 team SWAC alongggggggggggg time ago on this board as a potential gold mine; and even with FAMU's current status, it can still be. However, it would take the right minds leading this effort with the proper marketing skills and authority (read: no interference from the SWAC council of presidents) to make this happen.

Six teams in each division with a 5 and 2 (or 5, 1 and 1) setup would provide more than enough schedule opportunities to play other I-AA schools, also.

Again, this could be a gold mine. FAMU needs the help with expenses, so now is the time for them to come aboard. 'Segee would be a better fit geographically, but TnSU would fit well for other reasons. Now is the time.

Regards.

Dr. Mac,

Thanks!!

I have an entire Doctoral Education Administration Management and Policy paper written on a SWAC expansion proposal with various alignments on cost analysis and strategic planning with an assessment by THG Agency, LLC.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
FAMUAN

Joe uncertain about future
By Garrison Vereen
Wednesday, December 1, 2004

President Gainous speaks at a press conference Tuesday regarding the extension of Head Football Coach Billy Joe?s contract and the future of the athletic department.

The future of the University's head football coach Billy Joe depends on whom you ask.

At a University press conference held around noon Tuesday, at which Joe was not present, Athletic Director Joseph Ramsey II said the athletic department was behind the embattled head coach.

"We're going to give him all the support he needs," Ramsey said.

However, at an impromptu press conference following the University's press conference, Joe said Ramsey informed him Monday that the University would not provide funding for recruiting and Ramsey did not wish to have him continue as coach.

"I asked him why I wasn't able to get the two- or three-year extension on the contract and he said that (it is) because 'I don't support you; you're not the coach I want here'."

The two parties even disagreed on whether Joe was informed about the University's press conference, which was held at 12:15 p.m, in Lee Hall.

Ramsey said he tried several times to contact the head coach, but was unable to reach him. But Joe said he had not heard about the meeting.

"I was out recruiting today, and my secretary called me several times. Never once did she say there is a press conference that you need to attend," Joe said.

At the heart of the issue is a Monday morning meeting between Ramsey and Joe, at which Joe asked for a contract extension he said would show recruits and any potential replacement to the vacant defensive coordinator position he would be the head coach of the football team long term.

"I wanted to show the community at large that the administration was supportive of what I was doing," Joe said.

Joe said he thought an extension would remove any advantage that an opposing program would have against Florida A&M University. He said money was not a reason for the extension request.

"I told Dr. Ramsey...I didn't even want a raise. I'm financially sound."

University President Fred Gainous attempted to quell growing concerns that his administration was making decisions that were hurting the athletic program.

"There is no intent ...to destroy the athletic program at Florida A&M University," he said.

Gainous insisted any decisions made in respect to Joe and the football program were a part of bigger overall changes being made to the athletic program.

"The athletic program has undergone some changes recently, and it will continue to undergo changes," Gainous said.

Ramsey said any comments made that there would be no funding for the program for recruiting, or otherwise, were completely inaccurate.

"That's an incorrect statement," Ramsey said. "Coach Joe and I had a meeting yesterday morning and I relayed to him that funding is critical, but we do have funding for recruiting."

At the University press conference, Ramsey said he didn't see the program having to undergo any permanent funding cuts.

Immediately after the one-on-one meeting between Ramsey and Joe, the coach said he was ready for the administration to buy him out.

"I did not want to be an obstacle to the success and potential achievement of the team and the program," Joe said.

But Joe said after giving it some thought, he changed his mind.

"I'm a Famuan. I bleed orange and green, and I am the head football coach. We may win the national championship next year-what happens then?"

According to Ramsey, the University will make no attempt to end Joe's contract prematurely.

"I'll be happy to hear that from my athletic director," Joe said. "Evidently he has had time to assess what has transpired ...and I'll be anxious to speak with him so that we can have a meeting of the minds, get this concern resolved."

Contact Garrison L. Vereen II at famuannews@hotmail.com.

I would've thought someone would've addressed this by now.

These articles aren't entirely accurate.

The football program isn't "shut down". The athletic director has put a temporary freeze on spending in the football program for various reasons, which I won't discuss.

Just know that these articles aren't telling the whole story, and the title "Shut Down" is purposely misleading.

DIace99 said:
I would've thought someone would've addressed this by now.

These articles aren't entirely accurate.

The football program isn't "shut down". The athletic director has put a temporary freeze on spending in the football program for various reasons, which I won't discuss.

Just know that these articles aren't telling the whole story, and the title "Shut Down" is purposely misleading.

Please discuss if you know the reason. Atleast if you know the reason you can clarify the "rumors".

DIace99 said:

Excellent timing I'd say, what with recruiting season kicking into high gear.

I?d also like to clear another thing up. In regards to FAMU and traveling by air. When the trip would take over 5 hours by bus the team almost always flies. This has been in practice at the university for at least 4 years so it has nothing to do with the current finical problems which are being reported by the media. And those ?problems? are being completely over blown just to put it mildly.

The university is seeking a certain outcome from the current going ons and although I don?t like the direction things have gone in the media, I will be able to forgive it if what we want to happen in the end does. If you read the reports from the media, 98% of the talk is coming from either Billy Joe or his supporters among them are the mainstream (white) local media. It is he that the media took the quote of "Financially shuts down football program? as well as other blurbs that have come out since Monday. He is trying to play the university similar to what he did about four years ago. Only this time, the AD seems to be hip to the game. Just because the university isn?t going tic for tack with him in the press doesn?t mean there?s not another side to this issue. It will all come out in the wash hopefully within the next two weeks.

To believe that FAMU as a whole or that its athletic program is broke or being shut down is completely preposterous, and for someone to believe something like that on the surface shows a snap to judgment. It is my hope that as this thing rides its course that you all will read both sides, remember that one side is talking a whole lot more then another, and then come to your own conclusion rather then take the word of people who may not really have the best interest of FAMU at heart.

Good day all.

Tigerpride said:
I am still trying to figure out why they want Joe out. Is it because of the infractions?

They want Joe out because Joe hasn't surpased the 1999 season. The year We went to the semi-championship game. Fans are just now seeing how inept Joe really is.

BamaSnake,

I?d also like to clear another thing up. In regards to FAMU and traveling by air. When the trip would take over 5 hours by bus the team almost always flies. This has been in practice at the university for at least 4 years so it has nothing to do with the current finical problems which are being reported by the media. And those ?problems? are being completely over blown just to put it mildly.

I understand that the traveling issue isn't at the root of what is currently being disseminated to and by the media. My only point is the fact after this measure took place about four years ago in regards to traveling policies by the Florida A & M University's athletics department.

The fact remains, three years ago the university started pointed out the athletics department was running in a deficit and the concern was so legitimate that Dr. Humphries commissioned at team to study the athletics department budget and operating strategic plan.

I am only pointed out that no matter how one wants to look at it. The travel expenditures associated with Florida A & M University participating as an active member in the MEAC is expensive and at a time when the United States and in particular its business sectors and education entities are in a redistribution policy mode.

Then facts remain, if a program is running a deficit three or four years in a roll, then that program is going to be under more scrutiny to carefully review their options. Loyalty and tradition is one thing, but financial responsibility and sensibility is another. So, whether that is cutting back spending in one arena, reviewing traveling guidelines; such as no-longer allowing air-travel to requiring traveling by bus, reclassification, or realignment. Again, every facet in spending will be carefully reviewed.

bluedog said:
WOW, I haven?t seen that site in years. I?m going to send a message to the university webmaster that there?s a way to get to that old site from the university site. I don?t know how you did it, but you did. By going to the university?s site and clicking ?athletics? you?d be sent to the site that?s been the athletic department?s website for over a year now. Or you can get there by typing www.thefamurattlers.com

It?s surely one of the most constantly updated athletic websites in the whole nation. There have been many times when I?ve seen stories on the sight within 5 minuets of the conclusion of a sporting event. Most stories are on the site within an hour of the completion of a sport. So again, I don?t know how you were able to get to that old site?the content alone should have told you it?s no longer the athletes department site.

Billy Joe, is not headed to TSU and that is for sure. TSU next coach will be a TSU Alumni -

H. Alexander or Mike Jones - NFLE

Dr H.. said:
Billy Joe, is not headed to TSU and that is for sure. TSU next coach will be a TSU Alumni -

H. Alexander or Mike Jones - NFLE

Wasn't TSU's last coach an alumni? I see no need to place total significance on getting another alumni member when the last one only put up mediocre win numbers.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm shocked the rats haven't come on this board to explain this matter. Oh well...it seems that this is all just an attempt to get Billy Joe to quit. Ramsey gambled and lost...and now he has to saddled with Billy Joe for 2 more years (that's so dumb to tell somebody they are not wanted when they have two years left on their contract and you can't afford to buy them out). I'm shocked their alumni blame him for their current woes...when it was mostly the admin's fault giving them all those D1A teams this season. Though BJ knew about the D1A move...I bet he didn't know they would be approved so soon thus killing his team's transfer recruits in 2003.I think he only lost one game that was winnable this season. So he was 3-1 in their winnable games.

The money woes is old news...that amount came out much earlier this year. Like it was stated before...the program isn't shut down...it has been restrained. All their programs have been. Granted...they may save money going to the SWAC, but their money problems weren't due to travel. It was due to the failed move to D1A. They spent money they thought they had coming from that TV deal that fell apart. When they pulled the plug on both the D1A and TV deal...you knew that somebody was going to come up short. I bet they are still trying to get paid from last season's TV deal.

Its funny how the meacfans board goes down every time Famu has their @ss in a wad. :emlaugh:

Buffalo Soldier,

The problem with your assessment of stating that Florida A & M's athletics department deficit issue is based on the NCAA Division I A reclassification, is the fact that this year, last year, nor the year before were the first or the only years that Florida A & M's athletics department has run in a deficit. If researched, Florida A & M University's athletic budget deficit precedes the NCAA Division I A reclassification decision. It is actually noted after Florida A & M University started frequently and regular chartering flights to participate in athletic events against MEAC programs in the North and Central regional locations of the conference back during 2000-2001. Again, prior to Dr. Humphries departure he commissioned a group to study this issue.

Take a read of this Jafus...I think this may answer some of your questions.
--------------------------------------------
Fan complaints are normal, but money is issue

http://www.capitaloutlook.com/columns/viewpoint.html

College football fans and fans of other sports have one thing in common: They love to say. ?We?re No. 1,? when their team is winning and ?Fire the coach? when they aren?t.

So it?s natural for some Florida A&M University alumni and some other supporters to say, ?Fire the coach,? after FAMU?s third consecutive loss to Bethune-Cookman College in the Florida Classic a couple of weeks ago and finishing the season with a 3-8 record after losing to Florida International last weekend.

Firing the coach won?t happen anytime soon because the Gainous administration has been instructed by the Board of Trustees not to make any major employment changes during its final days, and whoever the interim president will be would likely be an administrator smart enough to refrain from making a coaching change until he or she has had an opportunity to properly evaluate the situation in not just football but in FAMU athletics as a whole.

And what that interim president finds won?t be pretty. It will be a major challenge that will require all the new leader?s administrative acumen to get the university?s athletic program out of a major financial and administrative mess.

Financially, according to findings by the Florida Auditor General?s Office: ?The Athletic Department increased its operating budget by the anticipated $1.5 million revenue expected from the (UBC) contract. The Department?s expenses, as of May 2004 for the 2003-04 fiscal year, exceeded revenues by approximately $3.45 million. After spending available reserves, this left a deficit of approximately $950,000. University plans to defer payment of the remaining commitments of the Department until the new budget year beginning July 1, 2004.?

Put another way, thanks to the frugal spending of former athletic director Ken Riley, when he left in December 2002 he left a surplus estimated to be more than $3 million. And going into the next fiscal year beginning July 1, 2003 the FAMU athletic department had approximately $2.5 million excess revenue in the bank.

By May 2004, the athletic department was not only broke but $950,000 in debt. That has been compounded during the current fiscal year beginning July 1, 2004 because football-related revenues have fallen below estimates in virtually every game except the ones involving guarantees.

The athletic department already made a cut of 20 percent in spending for the current year, and now because of the additional revenue shortage the department is considering canceling some spring sports.

http://www.capitaloutlook.com/columns/viewpoint.html

Buffalo Soldier,

As a loyal follower and researcher of HBCU athletic department operations, I appreciate the new article. But, again I am very aware of the current issue surrounding Florida A & M University's athletic deficit and how it has increased with regards to the NCAA Division I A reclassification fiasco. But, the point still exist that Florida A & M University's athletic department was still operating in a deficit year to year over the last several years.

Fortunately, it was not adversely affecting the reserves at that time. The current athletics department deficit woes have been multiplied because of the increased athletic operating budget based on the NCAA Division I A reclassification plans. But to simply ignore Florida A & M's athletics department travel expenditures associated with MEAC alignment is just as dangerous, especially at time when capital expenditures are reviewed so closely.

bluedog said:
Its funny how the meacfans board goes down every time Famu has their @ss in a wad. :emlaugh:

If willful ignorance was worth anything, you'd be richer than Halliburton.

This and other issues that are - naturally - painful for the Rattler Family have been "out" for some time now.

If there was ANY validity your "comment" then the meacfans.com ubb would have gone down quite some time ago.

The negative ramifications of all of this for all of our programs is real.

Do not think that if a major player in the economic, social, and political aspects of BCF has a house a fire that each of our houses is not going to feel the heat.

In a quarry full of stones of varied sizes, some pebbles make little splashes and some boulders cause tidal waves that wash over the smaller rocks.

FAMU, Grambling, Jackson State, Tuskegee, and North Carolina A & T are but a few of the major programs that we all have a vested interest in protecting for our own sakes.

Jafus:
I understand what you are saying. But for the past 20 years travel cost hasn't cause this type of problem. That is just another FAMU excuse that they continue to use year after year. Their CURRENT problem is due to their failed move to D1A.

Hassan:
I don't know bro...but whenever FAMU gets into trouble of late...the board just happens to shuts down.

Buffalo Soldier said:
Hassan:
I don't know bro...but whenever FAMU gets into trouble of late...the board just happens to shuts down.

I was thinking the same thing. I like to hear the perspective of the people closest to the situation on meacfans and it seems to happen alot during the scandals. Maybe its just a coincidence. :confused:

Some folks have been calling for BJ's head going on 5 years. The BJ must Go cry is nothing new. 3 straight losses to BCC and failure to maintain the win levels from the mid-to-late 90s has only fanned the flames.

Rosy hit upon some good points, esp. the financial piece, but he is not breaking any news because Ramsey stated as much (re: the deficit of the Ath. Dept.) back over the summer. That is why JRE III was running around the BOT meeting in Sept. '04 (the one were Dr. G got canned) trying to defend his reputation.
I doubted whether the sensationlistic title of the original news release was factual, but it does remain that we got some work to do.
Whatever the motivation by Ramsey, Dr. G and whoever else had a hand in it (and ain't fessin up and trying to act innocent) it has kept bad publicity squarely over our school. Pure unadulterated dumbness.

One thing Rosy doesn't mention, is whether he does believe that FAMU needs a new coach. Even before the 1-A backpedal, the teams were not performing to standard. Even in '03, when we had a rumored "15+" no. of 1-A transfers ruled ineligible because our 1-A application submission (I still have a problem with teh NCAA's interpretation) that we put ourselves in that predicament by having years of transfer dependency (1-A and JUCO), most of whom came in with 1-2 years of eligibility remaining, which is analagous in my mind to living paycheck-to-paycheck. That, FAMU's record the last 4 years (as compared to expectations), and the grad rates of our players should/would give pause to most ADs.

c''mon Buff and bluedog. What good would it do to shut down MEACfans if a negative FAMU story gets in the papers ? :confused:

If a negative article is posted on an online newspaper (making it virtually an international story), the 4000 registered posters on MEACfans pales in comparison to the no. of readers of newspapers (online and paper) that have access to the story. Plus anyone who wants to read it, doesn't have to depend on MEACfans, and certainly any and all embarrasment and anger over the goings-on down in Tally won't be curtailed just because MEACfans server is down.
In other words, if someone were actually clipping the server, what would be the point because the FAMU stories certainly haven't stopped being written in all the papers. Its not like that would the the ultimate solution to prevent getting the stories out or being discussed.

Back