Do you think your band/ other bands are better now or back in the days?

NOW or THEN

• NOW

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • BACK IN THE DAYZ

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters
Of course back in the day !! Look at PV, JSU, AlcSU, AlaSU, and yes even TxSU from the past !! The drive and innovation was superb !

GSU

GSU HAD SOME VERY GOOD BANDS BACK IN THE 80'S AND EARLY 90'S. I WISH THEY CAN GET BACK TO THAT LEVEL BUT WITH LESS DANCING AND MORE BLOWING.

TXSU has been through a lot. Every since that Japan incident, all yall should know what happened, but it really put a mark on the music program and it kinda of died for a couple of years. It wasn't till 98 when the band has done some major rebuilding, and with the crab classes 0f 2000 and 2001, the Ocean of Soul is almost back to where they use to be. The Numbers are there, we are just working on lil things that makes a great band. being a small band for a while we had to make major adjustments in our arrangements to play more full in our songs cause we now have more numbers, (200+) but bottom line is that the Ocean is not far from being up there with J-State and yes, SU. I personally think that Su is not as good as they think they are, but they are a real good band.

i think that the dedication level is down in all bands by at least 75%. they also lack heart. do you think taking KKPsi and TBS out of the band program makes it worst, or messes things up.

I marched in GSU's band 87-91. I would say that we'd march, blow and dance circles around the bands that are around today. I think it all starts from the top. Conrad Hutchinson had us on the top!!! The discipline kinda sucks with the band now-a-days. But every dog has his day...and the BLACK AND GOLD will be back on top soon!!!!

Originally posted by Harmonical Phrase
I personally think that Su is not as good as they think they are, but they are a real good band.

U would believe that if u actually think that TxSU is anywhere near to the old ocean. I don't even call TxSU the ocean anymore because they are dried up.

Back to the original topic. I think bands were better back in the day mainly because of the music. Another factor is that the band directors were hungry to be at the top. All in all nothing has changed in the SWAC SU is still reigning supreme.:nod:

Originally posted by Choppas
i think that the dedication level is down in all bands by at least 75%. they also lack heart. do you think taking KKPsi and TBS out of the band program makes it worst, or messes things up.

If the school has had KKPsi in the past, I think taking it away hurts the band.

Yes I think that the Ocean is not that Far away from being back to the OLD Ocean. The Ocean is not dried up, You just think they are. It's ok. We are use to the haters. We welcome them. I think that SU needs to come with some new Feild shows, do a better Dance routine, get along with others in the banc before they even call themself a Band, and to stop coming up with so many excuses. To actually admit when they Lose. But that's what I think. Who cares what I think? nobody. Who cares what you think? Same answer.

I think the bands suck nowadays because the level of talent coming out of high school sucks. High school directors are more concerned with dancing then actually teaching the kids how to blow...and read music. If you're getting some ish from high school..you're only going to have a ishtty college program. I think we need to get back to basics in junior high and high school music programs.

Great point NastyNupe. I'll take it a step further. The high schools are trying so hard to be like colleges nowadays (blowing), that they are not being taught the fundamentals of musicianship. They come to college not even knowing what overblowing is. They come to college not up to par on music reading. They come to college, like you say, with the dancing mentality. All that adds up to a college director not havin muc to work with.

Originally posted by Choppas
do you think taking KKPsi and TBS out of the band program makes it worst, or messes things up.

I don't think having those two organizations "messes" things up. We support our respective band programs!

KKY and TBS are about "striving... for greater bands!" :)

Yes I think that the Ocean is not that Far away from being back to the OLD Ocean. The Ocean is not dried up, You just think they are. It's ok. We are use to the haters. We welcome them. I think that SU needs to come with some new Feild shows, do a better Dance routine, get along with others in the banc before they even call themself a Band, and to stop coming up with so many excuses. To actually admit when they Lose. But that's what I think. Who cares what I think? nobody. Who cares what you think? Same answer.

If u believe that the band formerly know as the Ocean of Soul is back to the way they were in the 80's then I wanna know what the heck are ya'll smoking??? The Ocean back then didn't sound like a big high school. I see u are trying to do the same thing u did in 02 pump them up to be something their not and have everyone disappointed. smh. I know u aren't talking about field shows. The old Ocean didn't borrow field shows from Miles College. And don't try to deny it because I have the tape. We could keep doing the same thing and ya'll still wouldn't be able to hang.

What game did the Ocean steal a show from Miles? I would have to see this on tape myself cause who would want to steal a show that Miles has done?

Originally posted by Tiger2Hornet
What game did the Ocean steal a show from Miles? I would have to see this on tape myself cause who would want to steal a show that Miles has done?

We played Miles the week before TxSU and they both had the exact same show.

The show with them doing a In the Stone drill and all that other mess. SMH how couse TxSU do something like that, they could have chosen a better school.

Originally posted by PsychoJag

We played Miles the week before TxSU and they both had the exact same show.

PsychoJag, I think you got your wires crossed. It is TxSU who is the originator of the Neck entrance when the band comes on the field and does a breakdown while playing Neck. Miles band took that entrance from TxSU. I have a tape of TxSU back in 1989, when the band was doing the Neck entrance, on the other hand Miles College band has only been in existence since 96'. Although I must add, Miles took the Neck entrance and perfected it, because they always recieve house every game they perform it.

Originally posted by Cojack

PsychoJag, I think you got your wires crossed. It is TxSU who is the originator of the Neck entrance when the band comes on the field and does a breakdown while playing Neck. Miles band took that entrance from TxSU. I have a tape of TxSU back in 1989, when the band was doing the Neck entrance, on the other hand Miles College band has only been in existence since 96'. Although I must add, Miles took the Neck entrance and perfected it, because they always recieve house every game they perform it.

exactly..... Miles took the Neck entrence from Texas SO and perfected it kind of how JSU took the "rocks the house" f rom GSU and perfected it. Everytime Miles comes on the field THE WHOLE STADIUM does the chant to "NECK" when I watch Texas SO games it is like they are just going through the motion with the Neck entrance.

Originally posted by DAHILL

exactly..... Miles took the Neck entrence from Texas SO and perfected it kind of how JSU took the "rocks the house" f rom GSU and perfected it. .

IT WAS PERFECT WHEN THEY TOOK IT.

For one, TXSU doesn't steal anything. Two, We were the first school to play neck, we were the ones who arranged the First NECK if you want to get the facts straight so everyone that plays NECK they really got it from US cause we were the first BAND to EVER play NECK, and that is a fact. Look it up.

Another thing, if you think that Miles College plays Neck better than TXSU then you are crazy. If you think they get more house then us then you a damn fool. The only time we do Neck coming from the hole is LDC, Homecoming, and maybe a classic game. That's it. It's tradition so we will always get house on that. W***ver said we don't get house and that Miles get more house then us on neck is Ignorant. I ain't trying to come one here and prove anything to nobody or try and convince nobody that we just better, cause the Ocean knows they have a long way to go before we get the respect we deserve, but I ain't gonna let nobody come on here and talk ish when it's not even close to the truth.

Just curious...how can you prove that TXSU was the first band to ever play Neck? I would think that time Cameo released it, every school was writing it and playing it. Where are you basing these facts from.

For one, TXSU doesn't steal anything. Two, We were the first school to play neck, we were the ones who arranged the First NECK if you want to get the facts straight so everyone that plays NECK they really got it from US cause we were the first BAND to EVER play NECK, and that is a fact. Look it up.

Another thing, if you think that Miles College plays Neck better than TXSU then you are crazy. If you think they get more house then us then you a damn fool. The only time we do Neck coming from the hole is LDC, Homecoming, and maybe a classic game. That's it. It's tradition so we will always get house on that. W***ver said we don't get house and that Miles get more house then us on neck is Ignorant. I ain't trying to come one here and prove anything to nobody or try and convince nobody that we just better, cause the Ocean knows they have a long way to go before we get the respect we deserve, but I ain't gonna let nobody come on here and talk ish when it's not even close to the truth.

Back