Demaryius Thomas passes away at 33

As a Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech this is especially sad. Following my Yellowjackets each year Bay Bay played first under Chan Gailey, but the brunt of his collegiate years was in the Paul Johnson’s triple option. Sometimes we threw maybe five times a game, but we will threw Bay Bay was dominant. So dominant that he was the first WR drafted in the 1st round coming from a triple option offense (Dez Bryant and Tebow was in that draft).

I remember going to the ACC championship game in Tampa where his 70 yd catch propelled our victory against Clemson. His combination of size and breakaway speed was one of a kind and you would not catch him on jailbreak screens.

His mom went to prison when he was 10 and eventually got clemency from Obama, where he played a strong role. His childhood was rough, but he left an indelible mark at Tech and listening to his NFL teammates. RIP Bay Bay.

I do not think that the role that his aunt and her family played in his life has been talked about enough.

----------

…..

Demaryius moved every few months in those first years. His sisters went to live with their stepfather's mother, but he never really got along with his stepfather, who divorced Smith after the trial, and Demaryius didn't want to be the only boy in the house. He went to his father's apartment in Atlanta, but his father was always being reassigned by the military, and any new home was far away from his friends. Then he went to a cousin's trailer in Montrose, but that cousin already had five foster children and couldn't take another; and then to his father's mother's house a few miles away, but her health was failing; and then in with a nearby aunt, but she had no car to pick him up from basketball practice. One night, desperate for a ride home after practice, he called a different aunt and uncle to pick him up. James and Shirley Brown took him back to their house outside Montrose, and Thomas never left.

The eighth-grader they took in bore little resemblance to the sixth-grader who had raced cars with his mother and played Christmas carols on the tuba. "I was really to myself, not trusting nobody, just angry at the world," Thomas says. He wrote letters to Smith but never sent them. He made friends promise not to mention his mother in any context, and when one of them did, Thomas shoved him off a porch. His mother sent pleading letters to the Browns, asking them to bring her son for a visit, but each time he refused. "It hurt so much sometimes not to see him that I actually ached," Smith says.

The Browns' house was a serious place, built on chores and responsibility. James worked as a lineman for Georgia Power, a dangerous job with abundant overtime, and he believed children should work too. Thomas became an usher at their Southern Baptist church. His curfew was 9 p.m. His grades had to be A's. That he became an all-state receiver was fine but not important. On Saturdays, he awoke at 5:30 a.m. to pick two acres of peas in the Georgia heat, filling 25-pound bushels that James rarely bothered to sell. "What's the point of this if we're just throwing these peas out?" Thomas asked one day, and James explained that the point was that picking was Thomas' responsibility, that being an adult would sometimes mean doing things he didn't want to do.

"You should go see your mother," James told him, again and again. "It's the right thing to do. She loves you. She needs you."

"No," Thomas said, each time he was asked.

…..

That is awful, he didn't seem to be playing that long compared to some other players. I guess it can get you early or late.

this is definitely my concern about my son playing. He plays rb and I'm really trying to help him understand.... u ain't derrick henry. you don't need to run anyone over. you're short, fast and have quick feet. you should never take the big hit or look to deal out punishment. get your yards, get down or get out of bounds, and you get to the next play, next game, next season w/o a head or knee injury.

Back