Deacons for Defense (Bogalusa, LA)

MsJag4Jag

You may want to watch this one. It is about African American Deacons from Bogalusa, Louisiana (the hometown of my mother and my mother's family) who stood up to the KKK and were the protectors of black people in the 1960's. This is an important part of history that was never told until now. --Ms. Jag4Jag

P.S. It may be violent and graphic in nature. Therefore, if you can not handle this portion of history, I suggest you do not watch this one....or pray first.

Forest Whitaker, Jonathan Silverman and Ossie Davis star in this original drama, the true story of brave African-American men from Bogalusa, Louisiana who armed themselves to fight against the KKK, taking a more militant stance than most activists during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's. Paul Benjamin costars in this film about a lost chapter in U.S. history from director Bill Duke ("Sister Act 2," "A Rage in Harlem").

DIRECTED BY:
Bill Duke

SCREENPLAY BY:
Richard Wesley
Frank Military

BASED UPON THE BOOK BY:
Michael D'Antonio

PRODUCED BY:
Robert Rehme
Nick Grillo

STARRING:
Forest Whitaker
Jonathan Silverman
Ossie Davis

SHOWTIMES:
Click on the airtime below if you would like an email reminder to watch. All times are ET/PT

Showtime East 02/16/03 8:00 PM
Showtime East 02/19/03 8:00 PM
Showtime East 02/22/03 9:00 AM
Showtime Too East 02/24/03 9:00 PM
Showtime East 02/27/03 11:00 PM

I do not have Showtime and just canceled HBO. When I lived in PV and Baton Rouge in the late '60s and the '70s, we used to go through Bogalusa to my mother's hometown in Georgia. I did not find out about the brothers, the two deputies, getting shot in 1965 until I was in my '20s. But I knew about Mississippi, Selma, Montgomery and Birmingham as a kid. Now since the interstates have been completed (I-10 & 65), I do not go through Bogalusa when I head home to Georgia.

Anyway, the story (or stories) of what happened there on the deputies getting shot (One was killed.) is a must read, or a must see.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
EB: I would stay there in the summers with my grandmother during the 70's. I still visit from time to time as some of my relatives are still there.

I read somewhere that this story could not be told until all members of one of the groups were deceased. I don't know if that is true or not, but I am sure we will find out in some documentary. I can believe this stuff happened. Bogalusa still has a black YMCA and a white YMCA....not by law...but neither race goes to the other one....

They mentioned this the other night at Sorority meeting. The older Sorors were stressing to us how it was a significant part of LA history. I don't have Showtime. Hopefully, someone will tape it and I can see it later.

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
You may want to watch this one. It is about African American Deacons from Bogalusa, Louisiana (the hometown of my mother and my mother's family) who stood up to the KKK and were the protectors of black people in the 1960's. This is an important part of history that was never told until now. --Ms. Jag4Jag

I will most definitely watch it. We had a decon and mother chapter in my hometown of Natchez, MS. They provided protection for NAACP officials who came into town for meetings.

I got this in an e-mail today.
----

I am not sure how much you all know about the Civil Rights movement in Louisiana, but as a young girl growing up in Baton Rouge, I learned about a group called the Deacons for Defense. They were the protectors of Black folk from the KKK, and were known to shoot if necessary (they packed guns often). Although I never knew anyone personally, my neighbor's grandfather was a Deacon, and after frequently hearing the stories they became the super heroes you never saw on TV.

I am saying this to inform you all that in the month of February Showtime will have a special on the Deacons for Defense starring Ossie Davis, and Forest Whittaker. The link is below, and if you all are interested, I am willing to host the next Crawfish Connection event (at my house) to watch this monumental (for me) event. Yo u must understand that due to the murders of KKK members and other racist political figures in Louisiana this story couldn't be told until all remaining members died. Not sure how Showtime has done this, but this is great. Check out the link, and let me know what date will work best for you. We will then coordinate something and send out an
invite...http://www.showtimeonline.com/movies/movies_product.cfm?titleid=117922

Back