De La Soul is Dead (30th Anniversary)

BulldogM.Ed.23

Bulldog Fan/Supporter
Many of you are the same age as myself and remember the golden years of the Hip Hop recording industry (mid-80s to mid-90s) where every year it was just one creative album after another. In my Slim Charles voice of The Wire "The Hip Hop Music that's out these days (SMH)."

Anyways..... I haven't listened to this one in a minute. Due to disputes with Tommy Boy Records, a lot of De La's music is currently not available with usual streaming services. This album was released 30 years ago and was ground breaking for many reasons including one of the first albums that made use of skits. It also received that coveted 5 mics from the Source Magazine.

De La Soul were definitely in their own world of creativity as compared to other rap groups. In fact, I remember very well on the SWACPAGE (the old name that HBCUSPORTS was once known for) a poster once uploaded all of De La Soul's music using the MP3 file format.

...This is for the hip hop old heads like myself-->

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPS2ju7DDtk&list=PLiSTVQVVdkOk9mbrw8DgBChDLOhcCcYME

Last edited by a moderator:
De La Soul for the Soul!

I see little has changed over at Tommy Boy Records. They could have been on top of the Hip Hop world, but wanted to be shady instead.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Yeah… I was following their story that they would get their master’s soon. They hadn’t been able to make any money off that album for 30 damn years. Smdh

Bitter-sweet, the founder and investors of Tommy Boy are okay with it.:mad:

2021-present: Tommy Boy sold to Reservoir Media[edit]​

In June 2021, Tommy Boy was acquired for $100 million by Reservoir Media, a music publishing and media rights company founded in 2007 by Iranian-Canadian businesswoman Golnar Khosrowshahi.[28]

Back