Confederate Flag Coming Back To Georgia

mighty hornet

The HMIC!!
House OKs Perdue's referendum on flag

By JIM GALLOWAY and CARLOS CAMPOS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Gov. Sonny Perdue's referendum on the state flag passed the state House on Tuesday night, beating back a six-hour stream of black lawmakers who decried the idea of putting the Confederate battle emblem up for a public vote.

The debate ate up crucial hours of the Legislature's heaviest work day -- the day by which legislation must have passed one chamber or die -- before passing by a vote of 111 to 67. Most African-American lawmakers walked out after the defeat.

Passage of the bill in the Republican Senate is likely to occur next week. "The proposal . . . is overwhelmingly acceptable to the Senate," said Eric Johnson, the Republican president pro tem of the Senate.

During Tuesday's House debate, black lawmakers expressed bitterness. White lawmakers begged them to trust a public vote.

"You deserted me today, both Democrats and Republicans. You deserted me today," cried Stan Watson, a black Democrat from Decatur. "I thought we were friends. You should have asked me how I felt."

State Rep. Larry Walker (D-Perry), a white lawmaker who helped haul down the old state flag with its Confederate cross two years ago, beseeched his black colleagues to consider the compromise, which he said would help end a controversy that has dogged state politics for two decades.

"I think you've got to take a chance. We've come a long way," Walker said.

No African-Americans spoke in favor of the measure, which would immediately raise a new state flag based on the first national banner of the Confederacy, commonly referred to as the "Stars and Bars." The flag, which incorporates the state seal, does not include the Rebel battle cross.

As many as two votes would follow: Next March 2, an up-or-down vote on the newest flag would be held. If it were to fail, a second vote in July would pit the most recent flag, with the controversial St. Andrew's Cross, against the state flag that flew before 1956 -- which also resembles the Stars and Bars.

The votes would be binding -- the winner of either balloting would win a place in state law.

With minutes to go before a midnight deadline, an alliance of white Democrats and Republicans fended off a flurry of 12 amendments, beating back each one. Sixty-nine of 72 Republicans voted for the bill.

The final vote came at 11:30 p.m., and black lawmakers immediately departed. "I left because I was just terribly disappointed in my colleagues," said Jo Ann McLinton (D-Atlanta).

The House action almost certainly means a limited life for the blue state banner raised in 2001, by an act of the Legislature at the insistence of Gov. Roy Barnes.

Anticipating the bill's arrival in the Senate, that chamber's leaders served notice that they would not accept any changes to the House version, including any attempt to remove the Confederate battle emblem from the vote. "That would not be acceptable," said Senate Majority Leader Tom Price (R-Roswell).

This was the second rending debate over the flag to hit the House in three years. The first, preceding the 2001 flag change, was dominated by white lawmakers baring their souls on the question of race and Southern heritage.

Tuesday's was dominated by black legislators -- many of whom were willing to accept the new flag and the first vote, but not the second one with the Rebel cross.

Nearly all 39 African-American House members used the 10 minutes they were allotted from the well, detailing their experiences with the Confederate battle flag, and their worries over putting the issue to millions of primarily white voters:

"When you talk about the people of Georgia -- if we trusted the people of Georgia, we wouldn't have gotten the right to vote," said state Rep. LaNett Stanley-Turner (D-Atlanta).

"That's like saying to the Klansmen, I'm going to help you hang me," said state Rep. Douglas Dean (D-Atlanta). "It was mean history. It was mean to my people."

"I'm sure many of you love the Confederacy. But the Confederacy fought and stood for something that was wrong," said state Rep. Winfred Dukes (D-Albany).

Legislators black and white praised state Rep. Bobby Franklin (R-Marietta), a Confederate enthusiast and former supporter of the old state flag with the battle emblem, who designed the flag contained in the referendum bill.

But black lawmakers had harsh words for the Republican Perdue, who promised the flag vote while campaigning last year. "The governor has now played a card. You can couch it any way you want -- but it's a race card," said state Rep. David Lucas (D-Macon).

A half-dozen white legislators spoke against the flag referendum.

State Rep. Fran Millar (R-Dunwoody) chided his colleagues for passing the flag issue onto their constituents, out of a fear that they would offend the supporters of the old state flag -- who helped defeat Barnes in November.

"We're pandering to an element of the public that isn't that large," Millar said. He criticized Republicans for violating their ideal of personal responsibility and Democrats for "kicking a big hole in their big tent."

Other white legislators assured their black colleagues that the issue would never reach a July vote. The focus of the bill, the Franklin flag, is intended to take the Southern heritage argument away from supporters of the Confederate battle emblem.

In the first vote, that new flag (as good as it is) will be voted down and then we'll have another vote with the confederate flag as one of the choices. These legislators are out of their damn mind if they think these "good ole" folks in Georgia gonna vote down that Confederate flag.

This joke of a governor we got actually was crazy enough to say that he brought this issue up to promote racial healing.
Yes, he's that far out there.
:retard: :retard:

It's bout to get ugly!!!!! Real ugly!!!

Most black folk ain't even gonna bother to go vote on this, and that flag will be flying once again.

It's ugly now and will get uglier later.

The state capital, the "Black Mecca," will be home to a lot of divisiveness over the flag.

Originally posted by unknown1
Most black folk ain't even gonna bother to go vote on this, and that flag will be flying once again.

Your right. Thats the way it was here. Counties that were predominatly black voted against it, counties that were white voted for it. If it goes to a vote, that flag will be flying the next day.

Of course it's coming back, this whole thing is a farce, a sham. As MH alluded to, the present governor ran on a platform of giving the state a chance to vote on the post 1956 flag, the one with the Confederate emblem. This actually should not even have been brought up to a vote. I'm not sure if it's constitutional or not. That was the initial discussion and I don't know what happened to that. Next how are you going to totally disregard the current state flag. If anything there should be one vote, whether or not to change the flag from it's current state to the newly designed one. The Confederate emblemed flag has been removed, there is no rationale to go back to it. So basically by reaching back for it, it just simply says we aren't going to ram it down your throats, but we'll just shove it up your arse, then at least you won't see it coming.

Originally posted by Bengal E
The Confederate emblemed flag has been removed, there is no rationale to go back to it. So basically by reaching back for it, it just simply says we aren't going to ram it down your throats, but we'll just shove it up your arse, then at least you won't see it coming.

:eek: Tell me how you really feel L B. Damm!!!

There is usually outrage over blacks who play the race card, where is the outrage over the governor who played it by making this an issue during the campaign. And yes, playing the stars and bars this way was playing the race card; shades of Willie Horton.

Regards.

Originally posted by mighty hornet

but TRU

all these white folks in Georgia make up over 65% of the total population in the state

thats true mh!

im thinking all the celebrities in the ATL should get together and hold a "Rock to Vote" campaign! somethin needs to be done....Oh well I guess we can look forward to seeing the old flag back flying on the state capitol in the "BLACK Mecca"....

kinda pathetic...dont you think!

Consider that the latest flag has all of the old Georgia flags on it. But it is not good enough for the sons and daughters of the confederacy.
-----

Originally posted by mighty hornet

but TRU

all these white folks in Georgia make up over 65% of the total population in the state

I thought it was at about 70%. But the point is understood.

Originally posted by TRU3000

thats true mh!

im thinking all the celebrities in the ATL should get together and hold a "Rock to Vote" campaign! somethin needs to be done....Oh well I guess we can look forward to seeing the old flag back flying on the state capitol in the "BLACK Mecca"....

kinda pathetic...dont you think!

It's very pathetic.

To Unknown1, EB, MH, TRU3000, DR MAC, BENGAL E,, etc, etc, etc

finally,,,, FINALLY ,,,, a thread that, i think, we are all pretty much in agreement on. :argue2: :argue: :eek: :eek2: :look: :|

to the situation,,, this guy Calhoun or Calahand or whatever his name is,,, is a MASTER of tapping into the anger and resentment of the southern white disgruntled voter who feels allienated by the onslaught of PCness and the gradual "exhile" of anything confederate/rebel flag oriented,, the likes of which hasn't been seen since George Wallace and LESTER MADDOX (to the post that said George Wallace must be in Georgia. no,,, Lester Maddox has simply been re-incarnated.).

If it passes you can forget about hosting another superbowl, final four,etc.........

The black leadership has to work together to get the black folks to the polls. Don't underestimate our people when we come together for a good cause. But the state-wide black and moderate white leadership has to step up.

Originally posted by BgJag
The black leadership has to work together to get the black folks to the polls. Don't underestimate our people when we come together for a good cause. But the state-wide black and moderate white leadership has to step up.
Actually, the leaders have stepped up!
NONE of the black legislators voted for this measure.
The Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (read big business) is against this measure. They know what the state stands to lose. Jimmy Carter, Arthur Blank (Falcons owner) are against it. The list goes on and on.

Funny thing is this awful arse governor who was pushing for a statewide vote is too damn spineless to say how he'll vote. Even though, we know how he'll vote. :tdown:

this is from todays AJC

A House divided over the flag

By ERNIE SUGGS and ADD SEYMOUR JR.

It was supposed to be a healthy debate, a healing process.

Gov. Sonny Perdue's plan for a referendum on the state flag would bring black and white Georgians together to discuss what symbol would represent the state before the nation and the world.

But a House vote late Tuesday approved a new flag proposal that could result in a public referendum next year on the controversial Confederate battle emblem.

That proposal and the six hours of emotional argument against it was anything but healing for African-Americans in Georgia, and black leaders across the state said Wednesday that they see the vote as a betrayal that crosses racial and party lines.

Joe Beasley, southern regional director of Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, said the actions of white Democratic lawmakers were disappointing and showed that race and long-standing traditions are more important than party lines.

"I think that this should be a wake-up call to the African-American delegation," Beasley said. "Every time something shakes out racially, they show their colors. There is no difference between white Democrats and white Republicans."

House Rules Chairman Calvin Smyre, who also chairs the state Democratic Party, said Democrats have to keep in mind that Republicans are looking for issues to divide them.

"The governor says he's wanting to heal, but I really think he's trying to divide," Smyre said.

Perdue took exception Wednesday to comments by African-American lawmakers who said his proposal is racially divisive, not healing.

"I am disheartened," the governor said during a news conference. "I am saddened. I have not played the race card in this effort at all."

But Martin Luther King III said he is shocked that the flag is still an issue. King was one of the leaders in getting the flag changed in 2001 to minimize the controversial Confederate battle emblem, which dominated the 1956 state flag adopted in opposition to desegregation.

"It is insane for us to be talking about a flag at this time, when people are losing jobs every day," said King, president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. "And you have people in Iraq fight for democracy, and they have to come home and face a racist flag? I don't understand the motivation."

King said that he and many of his colleagues are ready for an "economic withdrawal," a boycott, if the flag is changed.

"We are going to have discussions and begin to mobilize," said King. "In my view, it needs to happen very soon. At the latest, the first quarter of next year."

However, the Rev. Markel Hutchins, president of the National Youth Connection, said a boycott should be the last resort.

"We must give ourselves the opportunity to get what we can out of the situation before we boycott," he said. "If we boycott anything, we need to boycott the Democratic Party instead of boycotting for the sake of boycotting."

Vote against 2001 flag

The House vote Tuesday shortly before midnight was 111-67 to drop the 2001 flag. The latest proposal, expected to pass the Senate soon and be signed into law by Perdue, would give Georgians a chance to vote in March 2004 whether to keep a new flag based on the pre-1956 banner. If not, another vote that July would be between the controversial 1956 flag and its predecessor, both with Confederate roots.

The flag proposal gets its first hearing before a Senate committee today. A full floor vote is anticipated by Tuesday.

Tuesday's six-hour session was highlighted by the solidarity of black lawmakers, each of whom spoke at length about why they opposed putting the flag decision to a public vote. Once they lost the House vote, they all left.

"The great thing that came out of [Tuesday's session] was the unity of the black caucus. It was historical," said the Rev. Joseph Lowery, president of the Georgia Coalition for the People's Agenda.

"The second thing we learned [is] it is a perilous for black legislators to risk dilution of districts of black voters for the sake of strengthening any one party," Lowery said. "It is obviously we have no permanent friends. They couldn't have done it without the Democrats."

The flag result doesn't surprise black voters like Richard Stephens, a 53-year-old Stone Mountain retiree.

"The squeaky wheel gets the oil," Stephens said Wednesday in Atlanta while waiting for a friend. "But the flag issue is going to really hurt Georgia. It's going to divide the state."

Wednesday in the House, several black lawmakers revisited Tuesday in personal speeches. "We'll rise above it, but our memories are long," warned Teresa Greene-Johnson (D-Lithonia).(She's an ASU grad :D )

Smyre said it is likely that the party's black-white alliance will suffer "some repercussions," but will survive. "It's something we have to work through," he said. "It's not insurmountable. But it was a bitter pill to swallow."

It also shows a lack of sympathy for the way blacks feel about the issue, some blacks think. The flag change of 2001 should have been enough compromise, they said.

"It shows that we haven't moved as far as we thought," Michael Jenkins, a 26-year-old Peace Corps recruiter, said Wednesday as he was walking back to work in downtown Atlanta. "Some people are so stubborn that they are still trying to make a statement that they are still in control."

Jones takes issue

DeKalb Chief Executive Officer Vernon Jones, a former state lawmaker who began his political career a decade ago with an unsuccessful bill to change the Georgia flag back to its pre-1956 version, ridiculed the General Assembly for reviving the issue.

"I'm fine with this [2001] flag," Jones said. "What I'm not fine with is how they still put the post-'56 flag in the legislation. It was the General Assembly who changed the flag in 1956, and it was the General Assembly who changed the flag in 2001. And it should be the General Assembly who changes the flag now.

"When it comes to changing state flags, symbols, etc., only the General Assembly can do that," he said. "One can now argue that every time we change the Georgia state bird or the Georgia state flower, 'Let's have a referendum on it.' "

Jones predicted a divisive flag election. "There's going to be nothing but problems between now and 2004," he said. "There are going to be a lot of people who don't show up. There's a significant possibility of the post-'56 flag being the Georgia flag again."

Robert Brown, a prominent black DeKalb County developer who chairs the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, said the new flag design "seems like a reasonable compromise.

"I'm concerned that this argument will continue on for an indefinite period of time," Brown said. "We've got health care issues to deal with, education and budget issues, among a host of others. We've got to get this behind us."

A Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce statement said: "If this new flag is adopted and a referendum is held in March 2004, we would urge voters to approve this compromise flag. However . . . we oppose any proposal or referendum that could lead to the reinstatement of the Confederate [battle] flag as our state flag."

"All of this says that we are not a world-class state," Beasley said. "We are still a bunch of country bumpkins, lucky enough to get the Olympics. Deep inside, the slave mentality is still strong in this state."

How About this Policy

"No flag showing separation of this country should be flown in any state."

Stuff like this pisses me off but yet we don't realize how much we as citizens have aided this. Before anyone jumps the gun read my entire post. First we as citizens allow congress to pass the right to BURN the U.S. Flag as a freedom of expression. Get the fugg out of here. Heck if we can burn our own flag which is a symbol of us. Then what do we expect to happen when it comes to this flag?

Next I do believe it (The Rebel Flag) is a symbol of U.S. history. Yet it needs to be in a museum. To be reminded that America is without hate, and without flaws.

My personal belief is that only a few flags should fly in this country:
The U.S. Flag
Each States Particular Flag
University Flags
POW/MIA Flag

Even with the opposition to the bill by the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (really big business), Arthur Blank, and Jimmy Carter, a great-grandson and great-great nephew of Confederate veterans, the referendum would be hard to beat. However, it would still be nice for the Black folks in Georgia to have a show of force. (I am not a resident of Georgia anymore.) I think that the Black vote is about 30% of the Georgia population.

Even though the business community in Atlanta maybe against it, John and Jane Doe in the suburbs, the rural areas and elsewhere in the state maybe for it. I expect them to show up at the polls. Still, Black people need a show of force.

I guess Perdue did not see what happened in South Carolina. Oh Sonny, you should have at least looked.

Re: How About this Policy

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
"No flag showing separation of this country should be flown in any state."

Stuff like this pisses me off but yet we don't realize how much we as citizens have aided this. Before anyone jumps the gun read my entire post. First we as citizens allow congress to pass the right to BURN the U.S. Flag as a freedom of expression. Get the fugg out of here. Heck if we can burn our own flag which is a symbol of us. Then what do we expect to happen when it comes to this flag?

Next I do believe it (The Rebel Flag) is a symbol of U.S. history. Yet it needs to be in a museum. To be reminded that America is without hate, and without flaws.

My personal belief is that only a few flags should fly in this country:
The U.S. Flag
Each States Particular Flag
University Flags
POW/MIA Flag

This is an outstanding post IN THAT,,,, i think you raise an interesting point about the right to burn the US flag and all. If we can do that,,, why da fugg can't the majority of voters in Georgia (or any other southern state for that matter) vote to incorporate the rebel flag as part of the state flag? it's tight. It's reeeeal tight. I see no hope for black folk on this one and I believe it will spread to surrounding states (ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,, some A-hole in Alabama will get a bill through pushing a referendumn on restoring the confederate battle flag atop the state capitol dome below the US and Alabama flag).

Originally posted by EB
Even with the opposition to the bill by the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce (really big business), Arthur Blank, and Jimmy Carter, a great-grandson and great-great nephew of Confederate veterans, the referendum would be hard to beat. However, it would still be nice for the Black folks in Georgia to have a show of force. (I am not a resident of Georgia anymore.) I think that the Black vote is about 30% of the Georgia population.

Even though the business community in Atlanta maybe against it, John and Jane Doe in the suburbs, the rural areas and elsewhere in the state maybe for it. I expect them to show up at the polls. Still, Black people need a show of force.

I guess Perdue did not see what happened in South Carolina. Oh Sonny, you should have at least looked.

i'm not holding my breath on blacks voting, not even on this.

It's getting uglier by the day. This lady really ripped into the good ole governor and this idiot is calling it part of the "healing process." :smh:

[ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: 4/11/03 ]

Senator calls governor racist in confrontation at Capitol

By JIM GALLOWAY and RHONDA COOK
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

JOHN SPINK / Staff
shirley0411.jpg

Mayor Shirley Franklin (left) congratulates Sen. Mary Squires for what she called "courage" in using a few choice words with the governor earlier in the day Thursday.

Thursday was yet another day of gut-wrenching debate over the state flag referendum.

Mary Squires, a white state senator from Norcross, called the governor a racist. Twice. An African-American senator declared the whole thing a "charade" and walked out of a committee hearing.

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin, visiting the Capitol, called the plan "disastrous" and said she'd be back to lobby legislators to shelve it.

White supporters of the old state flag and its Confederate battle emblem asked lawmakers to feel their pain, too.

And an unperturbed Gov. Sonny Perdue, who has said the discussion that would accompany a referendum would help heal racial wounds, said the state could count on many more moments like these in the 11 months leading to next year's statewide vote.

"I don't know that we began a healing process with Senator Squires today," the governor told reporters after their confrontation. "But I think it's this kind of moment that will begin [it]. People will be able to express their strong sentiments."

The emotional catharsis began in the morning, when from the well of the state Senate, with TV cameras rolling, Squires spoke about Perdue's referendum.

As approved by the House this week, the bill would immediately raise a new state flag -- a close copy of the first national flag of the Confederacy, also known as the Stars and Bars. On March 2, voters would be asked to make an up-or-down decision on that flag.

If they reject it, a second vote would be held in July 2004. Voters would be asked to choose between the state flag that flew before 1956, and the old state flag with its dominant Confederate battle emblem.

A son's questions

Squires, a Democrat and the daughter of a former statehouse lobbyist for the Catholic archdiocese, said her 9-year-old son focused on the vote with the battle emblem. "Mom, why does the governor hate black people?" she quoted him as asking.

Squires told of when she was a child and her mother slapped her for speaking disrespectfully to a black maid. Then she condemned the governor for putting the Rebel cross to a public vote.

"The emperor is naked. The governor is a racist. And these freckled white legs are headed down to the second floor to teach him a lesson," she said in an angry sob.

She grabbed a tissue and marched down to Perdue's office.

State Sen. Regina Thomas (D-Savannah) followed, and the pair cooled their heels in the anteroom -- with five baton-twirling queens, four pom-pom queens, and one fund-raising princess. The young girls, all African-American, were waiting for a photograph with the governor.

The legislators' conversation with the governor lasted five minutes.

"I said, 'Governor, stop the flag,' " Squires later said. "And he said 'No.' I said, 'You're hurting the children,' and he said, 'No, I'm not.' "

Perdue gave a similar account.

"She talked about [her children] being upset about terrorism, their concerns about getting on an airplane, them being worried about the war in Iraq -- and that I was just adding to that misery," he remembered.

Then it got ugly. Recalled Squires:

"I said, 'You need to talk to God.' He said, 'I do every day.' I said, 'I doubt it.' And then Regina pulled me out of the office," Squires said. Thomas later confirmed that Squires called him a racist again, this time to his face.

Squires later went to a luncheon sponsored by 49 African-American legislators and received a standing ovation.

The governor, within minutes of Squires' departure, defended himself and his referendum to reporters.

"Unfortunately, Senator Squires really doesn't know me very well. She's obviously agitated over an issue where there are strong passions on either side. To make it personal is unfortunate. That's bad. I regret that.

"Her characterization about my concern for children certainly is not accurate. It's very misplaced. Mary and I have demonstrated that in a very caring and loving way over a number of years," said Perdue, who with his wife has been a foster parent for black children.

Defense of governor

The governor's spokeswoman declared the confrontation a natural part of the "racial healing" intended to be produced by the referendum. "It's the Stephen Covey method of trying to solve problems. In order to gain healing, you have to listen to what the other person is saying," Erin O'Brien said. Covey is a management guru Perdue has told his staffers to emulate.

In the Senate, Republicans called Squires' remarks unprecedented and rose to defend Perdue.

"I don't believe anybody here believes the governor is a racist," said Sen. Bill Stephens of Canton, the governor's floor leader. He said Squires "crossed a line" in her comments, and some Democrats privately agreed. Squires' remarks would make it harder to forge the bipartisan vote needed to stop the referendum, they said.

The afternoon Senate hearing on the measure opened with a walkout by Sen. Nadine Thomas (D-Atlanta). She's the only African-American member of the 16-member Senate Rules Committee. "I was not going to be part of that joke," Thomas said later.

Senators at the hearing sought assurances from those involved in the debate -- supporters of the Confederate battle emblem in particular -- that they would avoid inflammatory language.

Jack Bridwell Jr., commander of the Georgia division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, promised that his members would keep their cool. "We'll not be calling names. [But] when you start accusing people of racism because they believe in heritage, something's wrong," Bridwell said.

Advice from others

The hearing attracted a half-dozen witnesses, including Cas Robinson, a former House member who spoke for the Presbytery of Greater Atlanta. "I think its morally reprehensible to put the [Confederate battle] flag to a referendum," he said.

Replied state Sen. Robert Lamutt of Marietta, a Republican congressional candidate: "You don't seem to have a concern for those who feel disenfranchised by the current flag."

Senators also heard from Ed Jackson, a University of Georgia academic who walked the panel through the history of Georgia's flags, and counseled against the "In God We Trust" motto on the proposed new banner's white stripe. "Half the people see it backward," he said.

Jackson also noted the surreal flavor of the day: "It may be snowing in North Georgia. Greg Maddux has an ERA of 11. And we're looking at the second debate over the state flag in three years."

Originally posted by Bartram

i'm not holding my breath on blacks voting, not even on this.

If this comes to a vote, I hate to say it but it really won't matter how many blacks vote. It will pass. Atlanta, just like Jackson, is predominatly black. Your problem is going to come with the areas outside of the "large cities." Rual Georgia. The only way to prevent that flag from flying is to have the politicians in Georgia step up, forget the flack, and do it themselves. This did not happen in Mississippi. They copped out knowing the black population would not have enough numbers to be victorious in a state-wide vote. The end result was the "stars and bars" still in the state flag. The only thing the local governments could do after that was to adopt a position that was based on how their county voted. In Jackson, you will see the flag flying over State owned property such as Memorial Stadium, but you won't see it flying over any city property ...City Hall,etc.

Alabama will be next.

Originally posted by jstate83

If this comes to a vote, I hate to say it but it really won't matter how many blacks vote. It will pass. Atlanta, just like Jackson, is predominatly black. Your problem is going to come with the areas outside of the "large cities." Rual Georgia. The only way to prevent that flag from flying is to have the politicians in Georgia step up, forget the flack, and do it themselves. This did not happen in Mississippi. They copped out knowing the black population would not have enough numbers to be victorious in a state-wide vote. The end result was the "stars and bars" still in the state flag. The only thing the local governments could do after that was to adopt a position that was based on how their county voted. In Jackson, you will see the flag flying over State owned property such as Memorial Stadium, but you won't see it flying over any city property ...City Hall,etc.

yeah,, the southern whites sympathetic to the rebel flag have blacks outnumbered, so looks like they will get the rebel flag back,,,, especially now that Georgia (will probably) have it and MS and SC. Gonna be pretty hard to argue that having the rebel flag as part of your state flag hurts your image when states like GA have prospered in spite of having the rebel flag up to the late 90s.

Originally posted by jstate83

That is exactly what happened in Mississippi. But somehow, a few idiots on the various boards criticized us for not doing enough. I told them then, if the flag issue ever came to a vote in S. Carolina or Georgia, the flag would be flying again. If the legislators don't stop it, it will fly again.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
All these professional blacks in Georgia and they can't chancge this issue.
:lol:

Yes. The thing that I find so ironic about this is how Alabama always gets blasted for being "backwards" and such when it comes to this issue, and even Alabama officials say, "we don't need the rebel flag above our state house because it sulleys our image and hurts attempts to recruit business and tourism to the state",,, but that never seems to have hurt Atlanta. It will be interesting to see what happens if the rebel flag comes back to the Georgia flag. I doubt very seriously it will have much if any of an impact on Atlanta/the state of Georgia because companies don't give a rat's arse about what's on your flag, all they want to know is rather or not your airport has direct connections to every major city in the US and a few key connections to the world. I think they'll take the advantages of Hartsfield International with a rebel flag as part of the state flag over Birmingham Muni Airport and no rebel flag over the state house.

I think the rebel flag hacks got black folk on this one. It's all part of a conservative revolution sweeping this country and it ain't a dayum thing blacks can do about it but belly-ache and complain as usual, because I don't see Jessie, Nfume, Sharpton, etc organizing a boycott of Atlanta/Georgia, black folk's new capitol of the U.S.

Back