Come feast... ASU coach disputes allegations

SlickPartna

Client & Player President
Coooome geeet it.... (you son's of whore-mongers!!) :lol:
oops... did i say that?

Nevertheless, I'm sure i'll see the same B.S. from the same B.S'ers....

[now quote me!]

:cool:

================================
ASU coach disputes allegations

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

One of the most serious charges against Alabama State head coach L.C. Cole in the university's self report to the NCAA is that he knowingly practiced four ineligible players.

The incident involving practicing four ineligible players took place in 2000, shortly after Cole's arrival at ASU.

When Cole took over the program, the team was coming off a 2-9 season and was in serious need of a talent upgrade.

"We made the decision to go after only junior college guys that first year," Cole said. "We needed to establish a winner here quick so we would have some basis to recruit on. We knew it would hurt us a couple of years down the road when those guys graduated, but we had no choice. We needed to put a winning product on the field to make this program attractive to high school guys."

The assistant coaches hit the recruiting trail a week after arriving in Montgomery and signed several junior college players.

But with so little time to get things set up and with several transcripts flowing in from junior colleges across the country, there was a problem.

"With high school players, it's a little easier to get them in school and get things straight," Cole said. "With junior college guys, it's a little harder. You've got to check what classes will be accepted at ASU, what their grade point average should be for where they're at and get some determinations on particular classes, whether the school will accept this or that class in the place of another class at ASU. Also, if a guy attempts to transfer in in the spring and can't get in, you have to see if he can go back and take a class or two over the summer and get in in the fall. It's a lot of stuff."

As fall practice was getting under way in 2000, Cole realized there was a big problem.

"We had all of these guys on campus but the admissions office hadn't gotten their transcripts," Cole said. "So, I went to (former) president (William) Harris and told him about the problem."

In a meeting with Harris, compliance officer Robert Whitfield, director of housing Gloria Julius and several other ASU officials, Cole said a solution was reached.

The students would be temporarily admitted until their paperwork was received and processed. After that point, the players would either be fully enrolled and eligible or would be forced to leave.

Whitfield has refused to comment on any matter involving in the investigation. Julius couldn't be reached for comment.

According to NCAA bylaws, temporarily admitting a transfer student for a time no longer than two weeks is legal.

The students were placed in dorm rooms and were allowed to eat in the cafeteria, Cole said.

"They had everything a normal student had," he said.

The problem, Cole said, is that ASU officials and Robert Clayton, who conducted ASU's internal investigation, claim two of the players, Vince Gonzales and Mike Roberts, weren't part of the group of players that were admitted on a temporary basis.

"There's no way that happened," Cole said. "You mean to tell me that all of these other guys got temporarily admitted but two didn't?

"They obviously went to the admissions and were told something other than to go home. They had housing just like the rest of the players (that were temporarily admitted). They ate in the cafeteria. They signed a consent (for a drug test) form. They took their physicals. They met with Whitfield to go over the consent form."

Cole said what Clayton is claiming doesn't make sense.

"Why would I practice two guys that aren't enrolled in school?" he asked. "What edge does that give me? I'm not dumb enough to think that nobody is going to notice that. So, if the two guys aren't enrolled and won't be able to play, why would I practice them?"

The problem, Cole said, is the time it takes from when a player initially enrolls at ASU to when the compliance officers certify players.

"Here's an example of what I'm talking about," he said. "When the players report next week, everyone will be admitted and in housing. Then, three weeks later, we'll get the first certification report from Whitfield. I guarantee you that there will be four or five guys on there we have to pull off the field."

That makes it look as if Cole has been knowingly practicing ineligible players.

"There's no way I can know," Cole said. "I can't look at transcripts. Even if I could, I wouldn't have time. That's why you have compliance officers. I guarantee you, right now, a week before players report, (Auburn head coach) Tommy Tuberville knows who's eligible and who's not. That's because his compliance guys have done a pre-certification workup."

It's a situation Cole said he's tried to remedy since he got to ASU.

"When all of this was going on in 2000, I sent a letter to the president telling him that we had very serious problems with compliance," Cole said. "I told him that eventually it was going to come back on us. I sent another memo a year later about the same thing. We need some type of pre-certification like they do at other schools. You can't operate this way for long without some bad things happening. If the NCAA sees this stuff, it's not gonna be pretty."

The other two players involved in the charge against Cole are offensive lineman Tango McCauley and wideout B.J. Tiger.

Both McCauley and Tiger transferred to ASU from four-year colleges. McCauley came from Texas AM and Tiger transferred from Oklahoma State.

McCauley arrived at ASU on Aug. 22, 2000. He went to the admissions office to register, where he learned that an incomplete he received in a class at Texas AM would have to be taken care of before ASU officials would admit him.

On Aug. 23, McCauley flew back to Texas to get the class taken care of. The next day, he came back to ASU with everything in order.

"Tango had all of his stuff in a sealed envelope when he came back," offensive coordinator Johnnie Cole said. "Our football operations guy, Anthony Adams, went with him over to the admissions office. They came back and said everything was in order and that Tango was ready to go."

The following day, Cole inserted McCauley into a scrimmage for four plays. On Monday, McCauley practiced for the full time.

The problem is that the admissions office at ASU didn't actually put McCauley's information into the computer until Tuesday, according to Cole.

"That's what the whole problem with Tango is -- a day and a half of practice," L.C. Cole said. "Now, why would I risk getting into trouble over this for a day and a half? I thought the guy was ready to go."

Cole points to a Montgomery Advertiser story from Aug. 26, 2000, as proof he had no idea.

"In that article, which Clayton was using as evidence against me, I was quoted as saying something about how good Tango looked in the scrimmage," L.C. Cole said. "Now, if I had known that this guy wasn't supposed to be out there, why in the world would I be talking to the newspaper about him? These people act like they don't have common sense."

Tiger's case is a little different.

Before transferring to ASU, Tiger was kicked off the team at Oklahoma State and suspended from school for a year for stealing.

However, when he decided to transfer to ASU, Tiger didn't tell anyone about the suspension, Cole said.

"We called up there and got a release on B.J.," L.C. Cole said. "It came and he was cleared to transfer. He sent all of his stuff here that fall and everything looked like it was in order. We didn't have anyone tell us there was a problem."

According to NCAA rules, a player that is suspended from another university can't transfer elsewhere and become immediately eligible. He has to wait until the suspension is lifted at his previous school.

Tiger practiced for most of the fall before it was discovered during the certification process that he wasn't eligible.

"The release form is the way they discovered he wasn't eligible," L.C. Cole said. "The place on there where it says, 'Is this player eligible to participate in sports at your institution?' They had checked the box for 'No.'"

The release form was sent to the compliance office and athletic director's office at ASU, Cole said.

"They had that form over there for a long time," L.C. Cole said. "They never looked at it. All they did was see that it was sent in."

Cole said that was the only way officials at ASU could have known.

"On his transcripts, there was nothing to indicate he was on suspension," L.C. Cole said. "It didn't say that anywhere on there. When they looked close at the release form, it sent up the red flag."

In an interview with the Advertiser in May, Tiger said that as soon as it was discovered he wasn't eligible, L.C. Cole sent him home.

"He found out about it right before practice one day," Tiger said. "He told me I couldn't practice until they tried to get it cleared up. When they contacted Oklahoma State and they told them they weren't going to lift the suspension, coach (L.C.) Cole sent me home."

Tiger stayed home until the next spring, when the suspension was over, and then returned to ASU.

"These people are making it seem like I was just doing anything I wanted to," L.C. Cole said. "But what would have to gain by practicing a guy I knew was ineligible? Think about it. I had 10 or 12 other players sitting out because they were ineligible, but I tried to practice these four guys? Come on."

==================================

daSource

Originally posted by SlickPartna
"We made the decision to go after only junior college guys that first year," Cole said. "We needed to establish a winner here quick so we would have some basis to recruit on. We knew it would hurt us a couple of years down the road when those guys graduated, but we had no choice. We needed to put a winning product on the field to make this program attractive to high school guys."

"With high school players, it's a little easier to get them in school and get things straight," Cole said. "With junior college guys, it's a little harder. You've got to check what classes will be accepted at ASU, what their grade point average should be for where they're at and get some determinations on particular classes, whether the school will accept this or that class in the place of another class at ASU. Also, if a guy attempts to transfer in in the spring and can't get in, you have to see if he can go back and take a class or two over the summer and get in in the fall. It's a lot of stuff."

This may be the words that come back to haunt him. :scared:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
"When all of this was going on in 2000, I sent a letter to the president telling him that we had very serious problems with compliance," Cole said. "I told him that eventually it was going to come back on us. I sent another memo a year later about the same thing. We need some type of pre-certification like they do at other schools. You can't operate this way for long without some bad things happening. If the NCAA sees this stuff, it's not gonna be pretty."

Seems to me that they had this either well planned out or they just didnt care.

Tiger's case is a little different.

Before transferring to ASU, Tiger was kicked off the team at Oklahoma State and suspended from school for a year for stealing. According to NCAA rules, a player that is suspended from another university can't transfer elsewhere and become immediately eligible. He has to wait until the suspension is lifted at his previous school.

Tiger practiced for most of the fall before it was discovered during the certification process that he wasn't eligible.

Now it seems that Cole may have dropped the ball too.

"These people are making it seem like I was just doing anything I wanted to," L.C. Cole said. "But what would have to gain by practicing a guy I knew was ineligible? Think about it. I had 10 or 12 other players sitting out because they were ineligible, but I tried to practice these four guys? Come on."

shiftyeyes3d.gif

Originally posted by Blacknbengal
What so funny? Im not laughing.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

...and you really sound like you about to whoop somebody!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:bawling: :bawling:

Cole makes a good argument for his stance in all of this Zhit. What bothers me the most is we make ourselves look like BAFFOONS when we try to bring one another down. If his statements in the paper are true(and I believe him) then what have they done?Bring down a proud institution on an EGO trip.I hope he kept his documents he mentioned because that in itself will prove to be detrimental to his accusers.

[Black People Stop Hating On Each Other]

Originally posted by hulaw94
This is not looking good for Crosby and the ASU lynch mob.

Correction, this is not looking good for Coles and his supporters. It seems to me that Lee is basically leaning towards Cosby, Clayton, and certain Board members.

Back