Can We Expect The 'Play-In' Game Every Year???

Taylor-Made'90

I'm 'Citrix SSO' batch!!!
I gave-up hope a long time ago, that the SWAC could ever get more than one team in the NCAA Tourney...

And when you look at the RPI Ratings for the Division 1 Basketball Conferences, we're always ranked either 31st or 32nd (along with the MEAC).

And since the newly-created Horizon Conference qualified for an automatic bid, there are 65 teams in the Tourney. And we all know that the 64th and 65th teams play each other, with the winner facing the 1 seed in the Region..

My question is:

Is this what we can expect from now on?????

Have they relegated us (SWAC) to the absolute lowest rung on the ladder?????? Can we ever expect to be anything higher than a 16th seed? Now, I know our teams have gotten seeded higher a few times in the last few years, but since this Play-in game was instituted, we've been the designee......

Do we not have any clout, ratings wise????? Do we get any respect??? Do we deserve any????

Whaddayu guys think?????

How can we change this? Or do we need to get used to the SWAC Tourney champ travelling to Dayton Ohio every year.........

:smh:

You know I wrote on another post that the SWAC have to recruit top athletes, but all bullisht aside the SWAC schools are going to have to put basketball as #1 priority as the #1 revenue for the school. We are going have to pay the basketball coaches MORE than what we pay the football coaches in order to attract a top notch coach from a prime time program. If not, we will always be playing in the play-in game. Money talks, bullisht walks.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by pbla
You know I wrote on another post that the SWAC have to recruit top athletes, but all bullisht aside the SWAC schools are going to have to put basketball as #1 priority as the #1 revenue for the school. We are going have to pay the basketball coaches MORE than what we pay the football coaches in order to attract a top notch coach from a prime time program. If not, we will always be playing in the play-in game. Money talks, bullisht walks.

I hear ya..:nod2:

I just don't want people thing thinking that the 'Play-in' game is the best we can do.....We need to have our players know that the 'payoff' for a season's worth of sweat, hussle and tears is the NCAA Tournament, the real Tourney, not the PTA meeting in Dayton.......
:shame:

Taylor-Made'90,

No, the SWAC is no relegated to the "Play-In Game", first round game. But it is highly likely that the conference (even if it the regular season champ and tournament champ) winner out of the NEC(28), Big South(29), SWAC(30), & MEAC(31) will more than likely be relegated to the this game unless a lower seeded in the conference upset the conference team then those team will play in the game.

A Couple Examples of this season:

If everything held to form and the Champion of the regular season won the conference tournament:
Conf. RPI = Name RPI
MEAC(31) = South Carolina State(209)
SWAC(30) = Prairie View A & M(193)
Big South(29) = Winthrop(182)
NEC(28) = Wagner(103)

So in this scenario MEAC vs. SWAC Champion would have played in the play-in game.

But as you actually saw usually upsets happen and things are thrown out of form

Such that the Big South Regular Season Champion (Winthrop) was upset by UNC Asheville(185) with a losing recod throw-in them into the tournament and into the Play-In game.

Which at that time would of had them actually play the MEAC Champion South Carolina State(209), until Prairie View A&M(193) was upset and Texas Southern(251) won the SWAC. Placing them as the other team in the play-in game.

Big South (29) vs. SWAC (30)
UNC Asheville(185) vs. Texas Southern(251)

Shouldnt we concentrate on building the talent level up so we can actually WIN the play in game before we start worrying about how we can get seeded in the field of 64?

Man...D2ahill....if you aint the biggest Booker T. Washington "throw down your bucket" brotha I have ever seen in my life, I dont know who is.

Couldnt trmt exposure, money, and experience help build our talent. Im sure if A&M was in contention to ever go to the big dance, you wouldnt be saying this.

Get Ready,

Man...D2ahill....if you aint the biggest Booker T. Washington "throw down your bucket" brotha I have ever seen in my life, I dont know who is.

Couldnt trmt exposure, money, and experience help build our talent. Im sure if A&M was in contention to ever go to the big dance, you wouldnt be saying this.

I agree with Get Ready on this one. It is like the Chicken or Egg question!!

LOOKING AT THE MONEY GAMES ALL THE SWAC TEAMS PLAY DURING THE 1ST HALF OF THE SEASON; ****!! OUR RPI SHOULD BE IN THE TOP 100.

Originally posted by Get Ready
Couldnt trmt exposure, money, and experience help build our talent.

Has it worked YET????

ALSO you mentioned everything except WINNING. Are you proud just to be there???

DAHILL,

Has it worked YET????

Well I give you an example. After Prairie View A & M SWAC Tournament Championship run during the 1997-1998 season. Prairie View A & M University signed and landed Gregory Burks, the 1998-1999 SWAC Freshman of the Year, all the way from Flint, MI.

Five years later this freshman along with a host of solid players (including Newcomer of the year Malachi and SWAC 2nd teamer Thurston from Oakland, CA & SWAC 2nd teamer Roderick Riley), a new coach, new athletic director, interim president, alumni, and resurgence of fans with a renewed interest in the program, won the 2002-2003 SWAC Regular Season Championship, while Gregory Burks was awarded with the SWAC Offensive Player of the Year.

So, in my opinion if you can put all the pieces of the puzzle toether it can work as far as building a program and making a serious run at the Sweet Sixteen. But like anything in life it will not be easy.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
DAHILL,

Well I give you an example. After Prairie View A & M SWAC Tournament Championship run during the 1997-1998 season. Prairie View A & M University signed and landed Gregory Burks, the 1998-1999 SWAC Freshman of the Year, all the way from Flint, MI.

Five years later this freshman along with a host of solid players (including Newcomer of the year Malachi and SWAC 2nd teamer Thurston from Oakland, CA & SWAC 2nd teamer Roderick Riley), a new coach, new athletic director, interim president, alumni, and resurgence of fans with a renewed interest in the program, won the 2002-2003 SWAC Regular Season Championship, while Gregory Burks was awarded with the SWAC Offensive Player of the Year.

So, in my opinion if you can put all the pieces of the puzzle toether it can work as far as building a program and making a serious run at the Sweet Sixteen. But like anything in life it will not be easy.

so are you telling me all of this was motivated by PV getting beat by 50 in the Big Dance????

IMO, the play-in game(or 15 and 16th seeds) is no one's fault but our own. Many SWAC fans have been preaching this is for years.

We continue to schedule these difficult ouf of conference teams year after year. Then when all of us go 0-10 out of conference, we whine about it.

The way to eliminate the SWAC going to the play-in game is to win some non-concefernce ballgames. Instead of scheduling SEC and ACC games, why not schedule more MEAC, Southland, or Big South games. These are the conferences taking the guaranteed slots from right under our noses.

Hopefully the new commish regulates our non conference scheduling, Until then, we better enjoy Dayton every year.

IT'S OUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAHILL,

so are you telling me all of this was motivated by PV getting beat by 50 in the Big Dance????

Yes, I am suggesting that the current success of the program was brought about in part by the exposure brought to the program through Prairie View A & M University participation in the 1998 NCAA 64 Tournament . I see you conviently decided not answer the question below. Now that I have answered your question. Would you be so kind to answer mine?

DAHILL,

I told you what I think should happen... let the majors have their own tournament and the midmajors and lower tier D1 members should have their own tournament. Why play in a tournament you KNOW you have no chance of winning. I feel the same way about scheduling all of this "money games"

Interesting!! Well, I am sure you are aware of the revenue generating the current format of the NCAA Division I Basketball Tournament (CBS 5 year 8 Billion Dollar deal as well as several multimillion dollar sponsorship deal). So, if you are honest with yourself you are well aware of the fact that there is to much on the table for the NCAA to lose, to change the current alignment structure of NCAA Division I basketball. Along with your comments you made "Why play in a tournament you KNOW you have no chance of winning?".

Are you more in favor of participating at the NCAA Division II level where a HBCU programs has more realistic chance to win a National Championship or participate at the NCAA Division I level where at best a HBCU program may strive to make a Sweet Sixteen run in 65 Field Tournament?

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
DAHILL,

Yes, I am suggesting that the current success of the program was brought about in part by the exposure brought to the program through Prairie View A & M University participation in the 1998 NCAA 64 Tournament . I see you conviently decided not answer the question below. Now that I have answered your question. Would you be so kind to answer mine?

Interesting!! Well, I am sure you are aware of the revenue generating the current format of the NCAA Division I Basketball Tournament (CBS 5 year 8 Billion Dollar deal as well as several multimillion dollar sponsorship deal). So, if you are honest with yourself you are well aware of the fact that there is to much on the table for the NCAA to lose, to change the current alignment structure of NCAA Division I basketball. Along with your comments you made "Why play in a tournament you KNOW you have no chance of winning?".

Are you more in favor of participating at the NCAA Division II level where a HBCU programs has more realistic chance to win a National Championship or participate at the NCAA Division I level where at best a HBCU program may strive to make a Sweet Sixteen run in 65 Field Tournament?

I would rather do something where we at least have a chance to win some kind of championship or where our champion can end their season with a win, even if it was a HBCU basketball tournament. (not sure about all the NCAA rules we would have to go through with the 4 major HBCU conferences.)

Back