Busy Days in NFL - Cuts, Signees and News

Blacknbengal

James agrees to deal with Arizona

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) - The Arizona Cardinals have hollered to anyone who would listen that they are serious about building a winner.

They backed up the big talk Sunday by signing Edgerrin James to a four-year, $30 million contract - almost certainly the most significant free-agent acquisition in the history of the long-suffering franchise. The story was first reported by FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer.
"You look at his ability to go out and run the football," Arizona coach Dennis Green said, "and that's an element we just have to have. We are extremely excited. We had a great weekend."

James flew into Phoenix with agent Drew Rosenhaus on Saturday and had a deal by Sunday morning. It was the only visit he made as a free agent.

"I'm not scared to take a chance," James said at a news conference at Cardinals' headquarters. "I'm not scared to go out there on a limb and do something different. If I was nervous, I would probably have done whatever it took to stay back where I left."

Edgerrin James won't be catching any more passes from Peyton Manning. (Otto Gruele Jr. / Getty Images)

The four-time Pro Bowl player and two-time NFL rushing leader started 95 regular-season games over the past seven seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, gaining 9,226 yards and scoring 56 touchdowns, both franchise records.

Last season, in 15 starts, he rushed for 1,506 yards, averaging 4.2 yards per carry, and 13 touchdowns, second behind Kansas City's Larry Johnson in the AFC. He led the league in first downs with 115 - 94 rushing and 24 receiving.

James has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL after the Colts took him with the fourth overall pick in 1999. He has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in six of his eight NFL seasons, and ran for more than 1,500 yards in each of the last two.

The 28-year-old James joins an Arizona team that went 5-11 last season, leading the league in passing but finishing dead last in rushing with 1,138 yards, averaging 3.2 yards per carry.

"It's a nice situation. All they really need was a back," James said. "They've got an MVP quarterback (Kurt Warner), they've got two Pro Bowl receivers (Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald)."

James also cited the weather and the new stadium - with retractable roof and natural grass - that the Cardinals will move into this fall. The money must have made the difference, though. Arizona had plenty under the newly adjusted salary cap.

James is guaranteed $14.75 million, $11.5 million in bonuses and the rest in his first-year salary. The remaining $15.25 million is divided over the final three years of the deal.

Read Story

Re: Busy Day in NFL

Redskins sign Randle El, Fauria

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Washington Redskins snagged their second receiver in two days of free agency Sunday, signing Antwaan Randle El to a seven-year contract that could be worth up to $31 million.

The Redskins also signed tight end Christian Fauria, giving coach Joe Gibbs three new weapons for an offense that struggled in the playoffs.
The signings came one day after the Redskins sent a third-round pick in this year's draft and a fourth-round selection in 2007 to San Francisco for receiver Brandon Lloyd. Randle El and Lloyd will be formally introduced at Redskins Park on Monday, the team said in announcing the signings.

As promised, Gibbs and owner Dan Snyder were once again extremely aggressive as soon the free agent market opened Saturday morning. Randle El was one of the top available players and was expected to be courted by several teams, but the Redskins' offer of $11.5 million in guaranteed money had him signed before the weekend was done.

Receiver was the top free-agent priority for the Redskins, who needed someone to complement Pro Bowl wideout Santana Moss. The surprise is that the team pursued not one, but two.

Randle El wasn't the Steelers' top receiver, but he's a versatile athlete who can cause unique problems for a defense. He caught 35 passes for 558 yards last season and threw a touchdown pass for Pittsburgh in last month's Super Bowl.

Fauria will replace tight end Robert Royal, who signed as a free agent Saturday with Buffalo. Fauria spent the last four years with New England, winning two Super Bowl rings. He started 10 of 16 games last year, catching eight passes for 57 yards and two touchdowns.

The Redskins were also in discussions with linebacker Andre Carter, safety Adam Archuleta and quarterback Todd Collins. All visited Redskins Park over the weekend.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Brees visits with Saints, Dolphins

MIAMI (AP) - Free-agent quarterback Drew Brees showed good mobility Sunday, completing a visit with the Saints in New Orleans and then flying to Miami to talk with Dolphins officials.

The meetings were confirmed by Brees' agent, Tom Condon. He declined to characterize negotiations but said a deal was unlikely before Monday at the earliest, with Brees planning to remain in Miami overnight.
"I'm not going to talk to the Dolphins until (Monday)," Condon said.

Miami coach Nick Saban and general manager Randy Mueller also met Saturday with Brees in Birmingham, Ala., where he has been rehabilitating his surgically repaired right shoulder.

Brees went to New Orleans later Saturday and left Sunday without a deal. The Saints and Dolphins are considered front-runners to sign Brees, the top quarterback available in free agency.

"Those are the two teams we have scheduled so far," Condon said.

The Dolphins are also considering a trade for Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Miami wants to upgrade the position after going 9-7 last season with Gus Frerotte at quarterback.

The Saints are pursing Brees as a replacement for Aaron Brooks.

"You've got a young ascending player who's proven at this level he can win," Saints coach Sean Payton said.

Brees spent the last five seasons with the San Diego Chargers but reached a stalemate with them on a new contract.

Before leaving New Orleans, Brees said the devastation of Hurricane Katrina wouldn't dissuade him from joining the Saints. He said he helped build winning teams at Purdue and San Diego, and the challenge of doing the same with the Saints appealed to him.

"I think being a part of that would be a great opportunity," he said.

Brees tore the labrum and damaged the rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder in the final game last season and underwent surgery Jan. 5. He said Sunday that he faces another four or five months of recovery and doesn't anticipate any long-term effects.

There are also health questions regarding Culpepper, who has asked the Vikings to trade him. He tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30.

49ers trade Lloyd to Redskins

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - The San Francisco 49ers traded leading receiver Brandon Lloyd to Washington on Saturday for the Redskins' third-round pick this year and their fourth-round selection in 2007.

Lloyd was a restricted free agent for the 49ers, who drafted him in the third round three years ago. He was San Francisco's top receiver last season, catching 48 passes for 733 yards and five touchdowns for the NFL's worst offense, but alienated teammates and clashed with Mike Nolan's new coaching staff.
Though Nolan repeatedly spoke with Lloyd about the receiver's attitude during a tumultuous season, the coach denied any personality conflicts, even saying he would miss Lloyd. Nolan claimed the trade wasn't requested by Lloyd, who improved markedly during his one season under receivers coach Jerry Sullivan.

"He's got some of the best hands you'll see, and he does make plays," Nolan said. "We did this to make our team better. ... If he didn't (want to return to San Francisco), he never voiced it to me."

San Francisco signed Lloyd to an offer sheet earlier in the month, but Washington seems more enamored with his highlight-reel skills than the 49ers were. Lloyd was scheduled to visit the Redskins' training complex Sunday.

A call to Lloyd's cell phone wasn't immediately returned.

Though Lloyd made countless eye-popping catches during his three years with San Francisco, he also made a series of memorable drops and mistakes while feuding with the media at times. Lloyd also drew criticism from hard-nosed teammates such as Fred Beasley and Kevan Barlow for his flashy jewelry and his aspirations to become a rapper in his spare time.

Lloyd caught 105 passes for 1,510 yards and 13 touchdowns in his three seasons with San Francisco. He also caught rookie quarterback Alex Smith's only touchdown pass of the year in the 49ers' season-ending win over Houston.

Lloyd should be a capable complement to Santana Moss, the Redskins' leading receiver last season with 84 catches for 1,483 yards and nine touchdowns. Washington's offense struggled last season, with only Moss and H-back Chris Cooley catching more than 30 passes.

The 49ers already released receiver Johnnie Morton earlier in the offseason, leaving oft-injured Arnaz Battle as their most experienced receiver. They're expected to go after free agents, including Pittsburgh's Antwaan Randle-El, and seek more receiving help in next month's draft.

The 49ers also could lose another free agent to the Redskins: Defensive end-turned-linebacker Andre Carter was scheduled to visit Washington on Saturday.

"It's a strange thing to be (ranked) 32nd on both sides of the ball and still have guys after your players," Nolan said.

Browns land Bentley, Jurevicius

CLEVELAND (AP) - LeCharles Bentley and Joe Jurevicius are coming home to play for the Browns.

The high-prized free agent center and the veteran wide receiver, who both grew up in Cleveland rooting for the city's beleaguered NFL team, signed Saturday with the Browns, who didn't waste any time spending some of the nearly $25 million they have for free agency.
"I can die happy now," said Bentley, who wore a Browns jersey under his sports coat. "This has been my dream."

Bentley, who played the past four seasons for New Orleans, brings toughness, size and experience to the Browns' offensive line, which has been both inept and ignored by the team in recent years.

His six-year deal is reportedly worth $36 million and includes $12.5 million in guarantees.

Jurevicius, who got a four-year deal, has played in three Super Bowls, including last season's for the Seattle Seahawks. The 31-year-old gives the Browns a dependable receiver to complement Braylon Edwards.

"This is where it all started for me," said Jurevicius. "I had opportunities to go to a couple different places. First and foremost, I wanted to become a Cleveland Brown, put on the orange helmet, play in front of Lake Erie and enjoy the feelings.

"This is going to add years to my career because of excitement that comes along with it."

In addition, the Browns signed free agent left tackle Kevin Shaffer, who will replace L.J. Shelton as a starter.

Shelton, who played one season with the Browns after signing a one-year deal in June, became a free agent when he couldn't reach agreement with the club on an extension this winter. When Shelton's return became unlikely, the Browns turned their attention to available tackles on the market and quickly snatched Shaffer.

Signing Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl player regarded as one of the premier unrestricted free agents, is another sign the Browns, who went 6-10 last season, are headed in the right direction under general manager Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel.

The Browns haven't been able to compete with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers, and need more players of Bentley's caliber to close the gap.

Bentley can't wait to be a part of the Browns-Steelers rivalry.

"That's football," he said. "That's what it's all about. I want to be in those games. I can't wait to come out of the tunnel at Cleveland Stadium. I'm excited, and I cant wait to be part of that tradition and leave my own legacy."

Bentley's arrival means the Browns will have to move or release injury-prone center Jeff Faine. A former first-round pick, Faine has played well in spurts but has finished the past three years on injured reserve. It wouldn't make sense for the Browns to keep Faine as a high-priced backup.

Read story

Ravens reach agreement with Pryce

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) - The Baltimore Ravens reached an agreement in principle with four-time Pro Bowl defensive end Trevor Pryce on Saturday, team officials and Pryce's agent said.

Pryce, a starter for the Denver Broncos for the past nine seasons, agreed to a five-year contract worth $25 million that includes $10 million in guaranteed money.
Pryce's arrival happened hours after Baltimore lost defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu, defensive end Tony Weaver and running back Chester Taylor on the opening day of free agency.

The deal will be finalized early this week, officials said.

Pryce has 64 career sacks in nine seasons.

The former first-round draft pick from Clemson has been hampered for the past few years by a nagging back injury. Pryce repeatedly has insisted that his back is fine, but his production has been declining since posting a combined total of 25 sacks in 1999 and 2000.

After being limited to two games in 2004 because of the back injury, Pryce had 31 tackles and four sacks last season and was credited with one tackle in two playoff games.

My team got Edge!!!! :tup: Dennis Green better do something this year. :nod:

There os NO reason the Cardinals shouldin't put up 28-35 points a game this year. U got Edgerrin James, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin. If they could protect K. Warner they would be ok. Dennis Green is putting together a pretty good team. If Entrel Rolle comes back from injury and is the type of corner they drafted him to be, they could probably get some more defensive help with that 10th overall pick.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
There os NO reason the Cardinals shouldin't put up 28-35 points a game this year. U got Edgerrin James, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin. If they could protect K. Warner they would be ok.
That's the reason they WON'T put that up.

jag4life said:
That's the reason they WON'T put that up.
It'll be interesting to see. Not having a good running back didnt help last year. JJ Arrington and Marcel Shipp could not get the job done.

I was telling my podnuhs about two months ago that the Saints should go after Drew Brees in free agency and do something else with that number two pick.

WalkWitaPanther said:
I was telling my podnuhs about two months ago that the Saints should go after Drew Brees in free agency and do something else with that number two pick.
As much as I like Drew Brees, the Saints need to leave him alone. At this point he's a damaged good coming off of rotator cuff surgery. I'm not a Saints fan but I feel their best bet is keeping the #2 pick and taking Matt Leinart if he is available. That is, unless Reggie Bush is somehow not taken #1.

Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory
Braves on the Warpath, Fight For Ole D.C.

We gonna get some nuckas this year .... all that keeping it close shat and with Williams running that D and the weapons on offense ....:flamethro
:flamethro :flamethro :flamethro :flamethro

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Daunte Culpepper finally has his wish.

Vikings, Dolphins agree on Culpepper trade

FOXSports.com has learned the Vikings and Dolphins have agreed on a trade, with Miami sending a second-round pick to the Vikings in exchange for the Pro Bowl quarterback.
The trade is contingent upon Culpepper passing a physical, and takes Miami out of the running for free-agent quarterback Drew Brees who now could be headed to the Saints.

Culpepper was a three-time Pro Bowl selection for Minnesota but played poorly last season before tearing three ligaments in his right knee in a game Oct. 30. He has been at odds with the Vikings over his 10-year, $102 million contract and wants to be traded.

"If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible," he said in a recent e-mail to media outlets.

Re: Daunte Culpepper finally has his wish.

Brees agrees to six-year deal with Saints

Moments after the Dolphins got Daunte Culpepper in a trade with the Vikings, free agent quarterback Drew Brees agreed to a six-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Financial terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed.
MORE TO COME

Blacknbengal said:
Vikings, Dolphins agree on Culpepper trade

FOXSports.com has learned the Vikings and Dolphins have agreed on a trade, with Miami sending a second-round pick to the Vikings in exchange for the Pro Bowl quarterback.
The trade is contingent upon Culpepper passing a physical, and takes Miami out of the running for free-agent quarterback Drew Brees who now could be headed to the Saints.

Culpepper was a three-time Pro Bowl selection for Minnesota but played poorly last season before tearing three ligaments in his right knee in a game Oct. 30. He has been at odds with the Vikings over his 10-year, $102 million contract and wants to be traded.

"If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible," he said in a recent e-mail to media outlets.

I would have asked for a little bit more than just a 2nd round pick if I were the Vikings.

Blacknbengal said:
Brees agrees to six-year deal with Saints

Moments after the Dolphins got Daunte Culpepper in a trade with the Vikings, free agent quarterback Drew Brees agreed to a six-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Financial terms of the deal have not yet been disclosed.
MORE TO COME

So long Aaron Brooks.:wavey:

I like the deal IF Brees is able to play at the start of the season.

watch out Patriots! Here come the Dolphins. If they can get him somebody to go with Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael.

I guess that means the Saints are gonna draft "Super" Mario Williams, the freakish DE from NCSU. Tennessee has to choose between Leinart, Young, and Cutler.

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
watch out Patriots! Here come the Dolphins. If they can get him somebody to go with Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael.

I guess that means the Saints are gonna draft "Super" Mario Williams, the freakish DE from NCSU. Tennessee has to choose between Leinart, Young, and Cutler.

Given the fact that Norm Chow is already there, I would hedge my bet that Leinart is Tennessee bound.

It will be interesting to see how Nick Saban fairs this year in Miami. Last year the press gave him the business. :lol: :emlaugh:

What will be interesting will be how far will Vince Young fall with this development.

Back