Bush Not Standing United Behind Black Leaders

JSU*Toi

Bush Not Standing United Behind Black Leaders
12-09-01

By Earl Ofari Hutchinson

Congressional Black Caucus members must wonder just what it will take toconvince President Bush that they also have rallied behind him. With the
exception of Oakland Congressperson Barbara Lee, they voted for his war
powers resolution, and backed much of his anti-terrorism and economic
stimulus bills. Despite their support and mute silence, Bush has spurned their
latest request for a meeting. It was their fourth request since September.

It's easy to figure out why he refuses to meet. The Caucus members are all
solid Democrats. And before the September 11 terror massacre, they waged relentless
political warfare against him for opposing reparations, and expanded hate crimes laws, and
supporting school vouchers. They accused him of cheating blacks out of thousands of
votes in Florida and hijacking the White House. They fumed at him for picking
ultra-conservative John Ashcroft as attorney general. They railed that he would appoint
more Supreme Court justices such as Clarence Thomas. They were petrified that he would
torpedo civil rights and gut public education programs.

Despite their past hostility toward him, Bush makes a terrible mistake in treating black
Democrat officials as pariahs. For the past thirty years, black officials have fought tough
battles in the courts and Congress for voting rights, affirmative action, school integration,
an end to housing and job discrimination, and police abuse. Though polls show that many
blacks swept by patriotic zeal and anger over the September 11 have reversed gears and
now think that he's doing a good job as president, this doesn't mean that they have forgot
or forgiven him for his past indifference and hostility to racial issues.

Blacks are still unconvinced that he'll make good his promise to remake the Republican
party into a party of diversity. They privately grumble that once the crisis is past he will
lash them with more social pain. If Bush were up for election today, the overwhelming
majority of blacks would still vote for whatever Democrat opposes him.

Still, he would do well to remember his promise to reach out to friends and foe alike, and
that includes nearly all black political leaders who vigorously opposed him. And when he
does meet with them, and eventually he should, they will do well to remember that as long
as most Americans fear more terrorist attacks, and believe that Bush is the man to stop
them, he'll probably stay in the White House. If so, there are three problems that pose
mounting peril to black communities in which black leaders may have some chance of
getting Bush's attention.

The HIV/AIDS crisis. On Worlds AIDS day, December 1, the Centers for disease control
and prevention reported the appalling news that one in 50 African-American males and one
in 160 African-American women are HIV infected. This is a health danger that ravishes
many blacks and potentially affects all Americans. Black leaders must push Bush to
radically increase funding for AIDS prevention, treatment, and education programs.

Minimum Mandatory Sentencing Law. A recent Department of Justice report on prisoner
growth counts more than one million blacks locked-up in America's jails. Many are there
because of the deeply flawed, racially warped drug sentencing laws that mandate long
stretches for mostly black and Latino petty drug offenders. The U.S. Sentencing
Commission twice recommended that these laws be modified. Former President Bill Clinton
and Attorney General Janet Reno agreed. Congress didn't. Before September 11, Bush
expressed some concern over the disparities in drug law enforcement. Black leaders should
push him to prod Congress to amend the drug sentencing laws.

Racial profiling. Bush and Ashcroft have repeatedly warned against profiling American
Muslims and Arab-Americans, and have demanded indictments, and prosecutions against
those who commit hate crimes against them. Black leaders must prod him to keep his
pre-September 11 pledge to urge Congress and the Justice Department to do everything
possible to eliminate racial profiling.

By continuing to snub the Congressional Black Caucus, Bush risks perpetuating the racial
deep freeze of the Reagan years. In those days, black Democrats and civil rights leaders
were persona non grata at the White House, and the doors were slammed shut on them.
This cost Republicans dearly. It cemented the belief among blacks and minorities that the
Republican Party is an insular, bigoted party hostile to their interests. They flocked to the
Democrats in droves, helped boot George Bush Sr. from the White House, despite his
sky-high public approval rating following the Gulf War in 1991, and virtually deified Clinton
as their savior.

There is little chance that Bush will ever be seen as their savior. But black leaders have
largely heeded his call to stand united behind him in this time of crisis. Now he must do the
same with them.

It's very simple; Bush knows what side his bread IBO.

Probably not a make-or-break move on Bush's part. After all, what would the Black Caucus have done,,, vote against all this stuff and look like a bunch of malcontent trouble-making blacks?

Dude (Bush) has the upper hand right now. He's riding high in the polls, the black issue is taking a back seat to the "war" on terror and heck,,, how much of the vote from the black voter block do he think he's going to get anyway? (,,, although in the last election,,, any amount would have been crucial,, so maybe this article will come back to bite him.)

Plus too, to even meet with the Black Caucus would really allienate much of his most vocal grassroots support (the ultra-conservative talk show hosts for example) which, in my opinion, have been CRUCIALLY PIVITAL in turning the tide of public opinion that has him in the position he's in now. As long as we are in the current situation of "war"/patriotism/"moral"/family values revolution,,, and in the backwash of the whole Clinton "moral" fiasco, the BC is probably not high on his priority list since the BC was, after all, firmly behind Clinton/Gore.

Just politics as I see it. The show is now on the perverbial other foot.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man...I could get on a Tangent!!

Naw, I won't even go there, I know where it will lead...So I won't get on my Conservative Tangent cuz I know where it will go with this group....So I will stick to talking about PUDDIN.....:D

yeah Mak Bedrock, I Figured You'd be Chompin' at the bit,,

on this one!:p

go head man, go head,,,:p

"talk about PUDDIN",,,

(what da heck is PUDDIN anyway?)

I agree with you B. This is politics, and it is not always a fun game. Th is administration knows how to use politics.

UHH, I was gonna be quiet !!!!

Guess what I received in the Mail...Here is the letter Verbatim:
Notice of Status and Amount of Immediate Tax Relief

Dear Taxpayer,

We are pleased to inform you that the United States Congress passed and President George W. bush signed into law the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001, which provides long-term tax relief for all Americans who pay income taxes.

The new tax law provides immediate tax relief in 2001 and long-term tax relief for the years to come.

as part of the immediate tax relief, you will be receiving a check in the amount of $600.00 during the week of 12/17/2001.

Your amount is based on information you submitted on your 2000 federal tax return and is just the first installment of the long-term tax relief provided by teh new law. The amount of the check could be reduced by any outstanding federal debt you owe, such as past due child support or federal or state income taxes. You need to take no additional steps. Your check will be mail to you. You will not be required to report the amount as taxable income on your federal tax return.

On the reverse side of this letter is information on how your check amount was calculated. If you need additional information, please visit the IRS website at www.irs.gov or call 1-800-829-4477. Please keep a copy of this notice with your tax records.

BTW, If all you DEMOCRATS have a problem with GW and received a simular letter as did I. Then tear the check up or donate it to your favorite charity. I would suggest you bleeding heart Liberals to donate yours to the DEMOCRATIC party....the LORD only knows they will need it during the next Presidential election.

:D :D :D :D

BTW, Liberals I have much more to come...Im only Baiting you now.

Post sell out smack here ------------------------------------->
Post Clarence Thomas Smack here ------------------------>
Post What has the GOP done for us smack here ------->
Post Liberal drivel and Ideology here --------------------->

Oh and BTW !!!!

If the Black Caucus expects to get anything from the Republican Party then if they vote for Conservative aside from Liberal agendas then they might get something out of what they put in.
Last I checked when you were in college if YO ARSE did'nt go to class then you would'nt get at an "A".

So the dialouge driven banter in the first post is what I said it is....Banter and Feces !!!!

Man, the black causus is a Joke, how in the "L" when you vote for Democratic/Liberal agendas all the time should you expect something from the Republican/Conservative legislation.....You Liberals verify my arguments on a daily basis. The Black caucus is "SELF CHECK"....
They can't even get respect amongst the Democratic Whites they are in league with....Maxine Waters can't come to Tom Daschale for ISHT...

Man, don't get me started.........

Post Uncle Tom references here ---------------------------------->
Post What have you done for me lately Ideology here------->
Post Liberal Ideology "U" don't even belive in here ---------->

BTW, anybody responding to this post only has a 25% chance of being a voter anyway....If you don't vote then STFU !!!!!

BTW, Don't wait for 2 days to post like you normally do to my threads Liberals so you can read and research as how to rebut anything I say....compare posting times...I post straight from the Hizzay. I don't have to research the truth.
:redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Dang Mak B, you circling the wagons prematurely unless,,,

,,you have had a few rounds on political topics here before.

:eek:

Re: Oh and BTW !!!!

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock
If the Black Caucus expects to get anything from the Republican Party then if they vote for Conservative aside from Liberal agendas then they might get something out of what they put in.
Last I checked when you were in college if YO ARSE did'nt go to class then you would'nt get at an "A".

But if your professor said at the start of the semester that he was going to work with you in spite of your absences and he doesn't, then HE IS A LIAR AND CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

I can only think of the son being like the father, "read my lips, NO NEW TAXES"! We'll see if he ends up like his dad!

Re: Dang Mak B, you circling the wagons prematurely unless,,,

Originally posted by Bartram
,,you have had a few rounds on political topics here before.

:eek:

Bruh, I just know the nature of the beast....The Black Caucus is a Joke...they always vote along partisan party lines...so it trips me out when they holla out against someone that they did'nt support. That's just how politics work. They wholeheardedly supported Gore and now they got they hands out like cups. Man, give me a break....Man, I.....uhh, naw it's late I'll get on a tangent tommorow morning after some of these Liberal Idealists search the internet for fodder to try and dismiss my posts. :p

Re: Re: Oh and BTW !!!!

Originally posted by Attack Dog

But if your professor said at the start of the semester that he was going to work with in spite of your absences and he doesn't, then HE IS A LIAR AND CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

I can only think of the son being like the father, "read my lips, NO NEW TAXES"! We'll see if he ends up like his dad!

I guess he should have said....I did not have sexual relations with that woman !!!!! Would that be trusting???

I guess Gore should been like his father and voted against the Civil Rights Act !!!!!! Would that be trusting ???

I guess Bush should ask the 3 Blacks he appointed to cabinet positions to resign just like Bill Clinton did during his administration? Would that be trusting ???

Man, you Liberals don't want none !!!!!:redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Bring it on!

Is it not the REPUBLICANS who claim they stand for values, morals, and the family? I thought Bush was a moral man of good character ! The man said he would work with everyone and he has not! No liberal said that, the present president did!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LITTLE WHITE LIE! When someone puts a halo on themselves, they better make sure it fits!

Re: Bring it on!

Is it not the REPUBLICANS who claim they stand for values, morals, and the family? I thought Bush was a moral man of good character ! The man said he would work with everyone and he has not! No liberal said that, the present president did!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LITTLE WHITE LIE! When someone puts a halo on themselves, they better make sure it fits!

Uhhh, Bruh I don't think you wanna bring up MORALS and the FAMILY in any reference to REPUBLICAN V.S. DEMOCRATS.....
Bubba Clinton kinda shot holes in that arguement by gettin a hummer in the Oval Office.....

How has GW not worked with everyone, I think this country is more united than it has ever been since WW2.....
I got my refund check this week just like he promised me...he aint lied to me yet.....
Damn, near every Democrat I voted for lied to me....and if you gonna cry the "sins of the father" remember Al Gore Sr. voted against the Civil Rights Act and Al Gore Jr. specifically said he wanted no Black Secret Service agents protecting him......

Go get a late PASS.......STEP!!!!! :confused:

NO!NO!NO!

You want me to STEP but you are the one who has taken a step in a hole and missed my entire point! I DIDNOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CLINTON AND THE DEM PARTY MORALS, I JUST PULLED YOUR COAT ON WHAT GW SAID!

I'm talking about GW with the halo he put on his head, please that try to evade the situation! He had you in his hip pocket so it was not a need for him to say that he would work with you. You should have already known that, right?

Once again, GW and the Republicans say they represent the things I mentioned earlier. You guys put the halo on it so wear it!

NO!NO! YES!!!

I am not in anybody's Hip Pocket.....anybody that I vote for is in MINE.....That's how it works. Based on the promises he made to ME, he has shown true in those regards. And if you call not getting a BJ or having basic respect for an office to take an oath for serioulsly a HALO, then I guess it's a HALO.

BTW, I used to be a Captain in the Army..I know all about oath and respect..so if someone upholding a campaign promise is tugging my COAT.....then consider it TUGGED.

BTW, guess what...as African Americans we have a total voting population nationwide of about 3% so we need to get in where we fit in......and a whole lot of us still need to go get a late PASS!!!

And since Im a former Airborne Ranger, I don't step in Holes...I step over Bodies !!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Let's try this one more time...

My response was in the context of this thread. Based on GW's words, he has yet to address the tenants of this thread like he said he would. Since you are a Republican and the article mentions the members of the CBC to be "solid democrats" his statement or promise would not include you, because your interests are already well taken care of.

If the masses of us get away from labels and just vote for who we see as the best for the job our lives would be much better.

BTW,

I'm not a great military historian, but I think more than a few Rangers went to step over a body in 'nam and ended up on a mine.

Re: Let's try this one more time...

My response was in the context of this thread. Based on GW's words, he has yet to address the tenants of this thread like he said he would. Since you are a Republican and the article mentions the members of the CBC to be "solid democrats" his statement or promise would not include you, because your interests are already well taken care of.

If the masses of us get away from labels and just vote for who we see as the best for the job our lives would be much better.

BTW,

I'm not a great military historian, but I think more than a few Rangers went to step over a body in 'nam and ended up on a mine.

Uhh, no you are not a Military Historian....and if I step over someone the last thing I will step on is a mine.....Mines are proximity/area saturated and detonated so that aint gonna happen....enlist and man a post before you comment as to such.

But as I stated before..the CBC is SELF-CHECK, they always throw their political eggs into one basket (Democrat) and then try to poor mouth for 4 years until the next presidential election for whatever handouts they can get...their only concern is to get re-elected, serve their own agenda, and not for anybody's progression....

I will give you the ultimate example of their B.S ......
Mississippi's only black rep...Cong. Bennie Thompson currently represents the the poorest region in the U.S., the Mississippi Delta, where MVSU is located.....

Just to show you how poor the Delta is, Mississippi is number 50 amongst the states in per capita income in the U.S., but if you take out his whole district...then Mississippi would be 16th in per capita income...that shows you how poor that region is.......

But guess what.... Bennie Thompson's net worth is.....12 million dollars.....which is more than all other Mississippi Congressmen combined....How the UCKF can somebody representing the poorest district in the nation be one of the richest congressmen...

And Ni%%^& still vote for his arse...but he plays on that Big Church Philosophy.....It's o.k. for the preacher to drive a Cadillac while the whole Choir is Waiting for the bus.....

Man, don't even go there....African-Americans blindly almost always vote Democrat, and we label ourselves Democrat as a whole because we have been conditioned to do so.

Again, a lot of us still need that late PASS !!!

What does that have to do with the thread? What does your example have to do with GW saying something and not following up on? THIS THREAD IS ABOUT GW AND HIS NOT DOING WHAT HE SAID! WE ARE DEALING WITH GW RIGHT NOW AND THE WORDS THAT CAME OF HIS MOUTH, NOT CLINTON, GORE OR ANY OTHER DEMOCRATS!

BTW,

Don't go where? Please explain what you're talking about.

What does that have to do with the thread? What does your example have to do with GW saying something and not following up on? THIS THREAD IS ABOUT GW AND HIS NOT DOING WHAT HE SAID! WE ARE DEALING WITH GW RIGHT NOW AND THE WORDS THAT CAME OF HIS MOUTH, NOT CLINTON, GORE OR ANY OTHER DEMOCRATS!

BTW,

Don't go where? Please explain what you're talking about.

Did you read all of the thread? The very same Black Caucus that has never endorsed a Republican Candidate is hollering now....

Politicians have very good memories, they take care of whoever put them in office first....

And yeah black leaders heeded his call if you call doing what everybody was supposed to do heeding....

Obviously we are going nowhere with this Dog....cuz you interpreted the thread in a different manner than I did.....

BTW, the Black Caucus will always be Self-Check...

Can't the uckf keep up; yall have at it. amnD!

uuuh,,, let me see,,,,, uh-yes, no, no,, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, no, no, I disagree totally, that's a stupid comment, stick to the point, what?, oh brother, DAYUM!, yaaaawn,,, nope totally disagree, right on, yes, no, yes, yes, yeah but what about Newt, i dunno man, AAAAAAWH C'MON CHIEF!!!!, yeap, weeeeell,, yeap, heck no.

,,, (think that bout covers my reply to all.)

OUT.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

(but dis is some good stuff doe! great exchange fellas! i would like to join in, but i just can't find an issue in here that i'm passionate about.):D

ok, ok,,, i found something of interest...

their only concern is to get re-elected, serve their own agenda, and not for anybody's progression....

Mak B,,,, you telling me this isn't the concern of EVERY politician include Bush, J.C. Watts, etc?????? You godda be kidding me if so.

No way you can say that is strictly a democratic trait. That's the name of the game I don't care what your party is. Would you agree or disagree???

Re: ok, ok,,, i found something of interest...

Originally posted by Bartram

Mak B,,,, you telling me this isn't the concern of EVERY politician include Bush, J.C. Watts, etc?????? You godda be kidding me if so.

No way you can say that is strictly a democratic trait. That's the name of the game I don't care what your party is. Would you agree or disagree???

Look up black voting stats bruh....white liberals as well as white conservatives are inordinately more likely to cross partisan lines and vote for another candidate. Blacks almost always vote strictly Democrat...that's why the Black Caucus is, and always will be till they change their tactics....SELF -CHECK. They always neutralize themselves....If I go to a resturant and always eat chicken...I can't tell you how their steak tastes now can I ??

Again, they need to go get a late PASS !!!!

BTW, JC Watts was elected by white republicans and some white liberals that crossed party lines....he ran against a white liberal.

But look at every Democratic election when a white democrat runs agains a Black Democrat.....the white liberals never cross party lines and vote for blacks (the most loyal democrats)...We vote for Black Dems, but White Dems always leave us hanging...why is it white conservatives have proven that they will vote for a black overwhelmingly while liberals will not, and then you tell me which party is more progressive......

Post Food Stamp smack here ---------------------------------------->
Post Jesse Jackson references here -------------------------------->
Post Bill Clinton first black president references here------------>

Man, stay in the dark if you want too....Give me a break.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hold up now Mak B, first things first man,,,

You mentioned something to the effect that all "democrats" wanted to do was,, well you said:

their only concern is to get re-elected, serve their own agenda, and not for anybody's progression....

All I'm asking you is,,, isn't this the aim of ANY(ok, I'll change that to MOST) politician(s), rather they be democrat or republican? A simple yes or no please.

Re: Bring it on!

Don't forget. G.W. Bush basically ran as a moderate and is acting like an arch-conservative.

Re: Re: ok, ok,,, i found something of interest...

Originally posted by Makaho Bedrock

Blacks almost always vote strictly Democrat...

People vote for who they feel will serve their interests the best. I think the reason so many Africans in America vote Democratic is because we are very "conservative". Africans in America were almost 100% Republican after emancipation, so what took place to change our voting patterns? It had to be something drastic, because we are "VERY CONSERVATIVE".

Back