Body Building?

pv_symbiotic said:
Since you are concerned about your arms being sore.

I think that Sonny will be the person to help you achieve your goals.

That's not a concern anymore. That was back then when I didn't know how to take care of my body. I wasn't hydrated enough. I know better now. I'm taking whatever I have to now to get my body like I want it. So whatever you can do to help me acheive this. I'm down.

Keep the help coming! My arms are soar now. But not to the point of touch or to the point that I would quit. I want to have my body right in the fastest possible way, minus steroids.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mike said:
I'm gonna be honest guys. I don't know some of the stuff yall talking about. I know the presses. I know the Elyptical (sp?) machine. But, what is the spin class?

Spinning is an exercise class where you are riding a stationary bike. You use the gears on the bike to increase/decrease your speed and resistance according to the direction of the person leading the class.

http://www.spinning.com/

Mike said:
Thanks! I kinda thought that's what that was, but wasn't for sure.

No problem. It is a very intense workout. I've never done it, but several friends have and they really enjoy it.

silentrage said:
No problem. It is a very intense workout. I've never done it, but several friends have and they really enjoy it.

I'll have to look into it. I wanted to buy both myself and the wife a bike so that we could spend the evenings riding after dinner or just for the weekends.

Work the bicep and triceps equally..

Don't be concerned with the amount of weight. Do dumbell exercises so you can't cheat. Each arm will get the same weight/resistance thus will become symmetrical.

For chest.. Find what is 60-70 percent of your max. You have several options after that point. Do 5 sets of 5 at that weight or do 4 sets of 8-10 .. depends on your endurance really.

I like working out my arms, chest, and legs until they are sensitive to the touch. Touch training also helps keep your muscle contracted through the movement. The only time it should rest is when you are through with a set.

What Sonny is talking about is fine if you have the strength. I used to do 3 sets of 20 @ 225 on "training days" and do the 5 rep sets starting at 225 and going up on "strength days" The pyramid system can be used if you are short on time and desire muscle failure. start @ 60 percent of 1 rep max and do 5 reps without stopping stepping up 5-10 lbs each time. When you can no longer do 5, step down.

The 21's will build mass in the biceps, but I recommend preacher's curl, and single arm preacher curl. You have to do concentration curls, hammer curls, gorilla curls, and alternating curls to get development in all parts of the top of your arm.

Skull crushers, Rope pulls, close grip bench (flat, incline, decline) will get your triceps going.

Dips are a great exercise. Many people use dips more so than bench to build chest/triceps.

Mike said:
I'll have to look into it. I wanted to buy both myself and the wife a bike so that we could spend the evenings riding after dinner or just for the weekends.

It is a great form of casual exercise. I bought a bike last year and I ride at least 2 times per week. I added an odometer to mine so I would know the distance I rode.

Make sure you both go so that you get the right size (height) for each of you.

School'em ABE.

Them Dips will get your ARMS nice.

Im bout to head back to my heavy days starting football season.
Cant wait.

SONNY said:
School'em ABE.

Them Dips will get your ARMS nice.

Im bout to head back to my heavy days starting football season.
Cant wait.

Sonny fix the link that you posted. I can't see it.

SONNY said:
I forgot the name of it. Ill have to find it when I get home.
sorry Mike.

Cool.... I'll be looking for it! Don't make me have to give you some neck!

My routine builds power and strength so it doesn't work for everybody. Its an eight week program computer generated based on what my max out is the previous eight week period. So my reps generally increase by 10 - 15 pounds per set if I reach my target max-out.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tara said:
Why do y'all feel the need to take supplements?

I have been taking Mega Men for years. They supply me with what I'm missing. Now as far as all that other stuff...I don't mess with it.

Mega Men is a multi vitamin.

Here's a link to a site that I've found to be very useful. http://www.exrx.net/

Go to the link titled "Weight Training" and then go to "Muscle Body Map" or "Exercise Body Map".

What's nice is that you can click on a particular body part and it gives you a good selection of exercises to work that area. The real kicker is that they have actual clips of the proper way to perform the movement.

Overall, there is a good bit of info on health and fitness to be found on this site.

Supplements ease the road to fitness, but they are not going to be the end all. When I am working out in full swing, I take supplements (creatine primarily) When I am half assed working out, I just take vitamins, tri-flex soft chews, and l-glutamine. I noticed a marked increase in strength and explosion when I am cycled on creatine and taking hmb after the workout. Different strokes for different folks. Alot of men take steroids trying to break a plateau for their physical development. This may or may not be the way to go. Often minor adjustments in form will beat any kind of supplement. A muscle is not going to grow perfectly if you are not working it. Pointblank bottom line.

MUMFORD said:
Here's a link to a site that I've found to be very useful. http://www.exrx.net/

Go to the link titled "Weight Training" and then go to "Muscle Body Map" or "Exercise Body Map".

What's nice is that you can click on a particular body part and it gives you a good selection of exercises to work that area. The real kicker is that they have actual clips of the proper way to perform the movement.

Overall, there is a good bit of info on health and fitness to be found on this site.

Thanks Mumford! That link covers the things that I needed to know. :tup:

CEE DOG said:
What do you guys do in the mid section area? I've heard situps don't really help.

I do an exercise called Plate Abs. Use a 45lb. plate (the type w/the hand holes in them are best) or whatever you can handle. Lie flat on the floor, holding the plate on both sides, extended above your head. Legs extended, toes pointed. Raise the plate and legs up together, lower together, but don't touch the floor (w/feet or plate). You're hitting upper and lower in one movement, 5 sets 20 reps. Your abs will be screaming but when you see the results, you'll want to do them again. Combine these w/ a variety of crunches and you're straight.
Cardio is key too, you can have strong abs but if they're covered w/fat you'll never see 'em.

FAB5 said:
Cardio is key too, you can have strong abs but if they're covered w/fat you'll never see 'em.

So true.............i can see my six pack coming in really good.

Mike,

Are you trying to compete or just get tone? Whichever one you trying to do. No one so far pointed you in a key direction.

FOOD! FOOD! FOOD!

Unlike most, I'm going backwards....dropping weight to lean out. Nevertheless, you need to change your diet in order to have proper muscle growth.

I eat six meals a day. My day typically start at 4 am. My first meal is around 5am and my last one is around 6 or 7 pm.

Another thing, GNC is not the best place to buy supplements. I would hit up Wholesale Nutrition on Richmond across from Sam's Boat. Be careful on the creatine. Even though it will give you an energy boost. You will hold water also.

Water......get up to a gallon a day. You need it for your muscles......

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
Funny story...this dude that works out his GIRL spots him...man that is so funny to me.

My wife spots me all the time. She is strong enough to give me the push that I need to finish that last rep.....

Suge said:
My wife spots me all the time. She is strong enough to give me the push that I need to finish that last rep.....

weakling.

:lol:

J/K Suge.

Back