Blown Away! What do you think

Da Sleeper

You guys know I am usually never over here so you know this really concerns me!

WOW! I am not one to be at a loss for words but today I am. Check this out, I received my annual evaluation today. In all areas pertaining to job performance or development I received a superior ratings of exceeds expectations. The nature of my work is sales. I was placed on a territory that for three years (93%,89%,91% to plan) prior never made it?s sales goals. In my first full year I took this low performing territory and finished at 99% to plan.

Sounds all good right? Well in my evaluation where the areas for improvement were listed their was only one comment: Improve interpersonal relationships with co-workers. Upon asking for clarification I was given the following examples:

1) It was noticed that at our national meeting you spent most of your time in small groups with other African Americans. You didn?t spend any time with you local counterparts and the felt you didn?t want to be around them.

2) Also, it has been noticed that you did not attend the company Christmas party.

3) And finally, your counter parts see you as an elitist because you never show up when they invite you to functions.

My response was this: So is it accurate that I am being evaluated on my counter parts personal feelings towards me, because I do not hang out with them, or attend functions after hours?

I was told well Sleepa perception is reality, and if you want to excel in this company you need to change the way you are perceived. No one can deny your work performance is outstanding but the perception of you is not very personable and unapproachable. My boss quickly said, ?I know this is not true, so sleepa let them get to know you?.

What do you guy's think?

Evaluation

If you feel that you done a good job you shouldn't have anything to worry about. That's messed up that they said you only socialized with African American. Whites are the main ones that do that. When I worked with Raytheon in Arizona. The whites hardly ever socialized with the blacks unless it was necessary.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I had something kinda close to that happen to me.

I went to a couple of parties to see what would happen and nothing changed. So, on the next evaulation I asked what did others think of me after I went to these parties or company events and he didn't even say anything. I still got my raise and great rating, but that told me that it was a bunch of BS and I asked that the comments made about my personal relationships with other be removed unless I had a bad encounter with a co-worker.

Your supervisor was trying to blemish your outstanding work with comments like that in your file. I would ask him if he could remove personal comments from my file and continue to base my performances on my work and not what I do outside of it.

Looks like they want to flow back into the mass of mediocrity instead of being outstanding. Now, if you were WHITE, it would be expected. Do your thang! and on the side look for more fertile ground.

Thanks for comments, this whole thing kind of freeked me out. I didn't have a very productive day yesterday.

Throw a party in the hood and invite all the "counter-parts". See if they come. If not, make comments about them not being interpersonal... Bastiches!

Maybe it's me but getting along w/ co-workers and participating in some (not all social events) after work are apart of the employment game. This has help myself and other people I know advance w/ their careers.
When I give evaluations this factor also takes into account as well as work performance of course. I don't want anyone on my team that seems to be an elitist to their fellow office mates. This can definitely cause friction w/in the office.
Now, with that said I would go to at least a couple of functions and see if your evaluation improves if it doesn't then maybe you should follow Mike's advice and have your supervisor take the personal comments off your evaluation.

Originally posted by gramalum
Maybe it's me but getting along w/ co-workers and participating in some (not all social events) after work are apart of the employment game. This has help myself and other people I know advance w/ their careers.
When I give evaluations this factor also takes into account as well as work performance of course. I don't want anyone on my team that seems to be an elitist to their fellow office mates. This can definitely cause friction w/in the office.
Now, with that said I would go to at least a couple of functions and see if your evaluation improves if it doesn't then maybe you should follow Mike's advice and have your supervisor take the personal comments off your evaluation.

Thanks for this commetnt. I think I am just in a catch 22. For starters I don't drink. Secondly, many of my peers are single/divorced and I am married. All they do at after hour functions is chase each other around and party. That goes for the men and the women. That also, goes against my moral values. All I need is for one of my chruch members to roll up in Papa's and see Bro. Sleepa at the bar surrounded by and drinking with a bunch of W gulz.

That is just not the way I represent myself.

Da Sleeper: I totally understand. Bring this to your boss's attention.

My company has a lot of after work functions too. In fact, the big boss has had meetings then said he was paying for everyone's drinks at the Turtle Club. Well, I am married as well and I just don't want to sit up in no STANKING cigarette smoke, skinning and grinning with them.

Now lunch outtings are fine...but after work I have a life. I have dinner to cook... I don't think AFTER work gatherings should be used in your evaluations. After all you were hired to work not to party. I don't see anything wrong with an occasional gathering.

But since you don't drink and what's not... I still say plan a gathering yourself but on YOUR terms... Invite them all. This will allow them to get to know YOU...and realize that you don't get down like they do, but you also don't have a problem socializing. See how it works.

My afterwork conduct should not be on my AT-WORK evaluation, and I'd go on the carpet for that foolishness.

Back