Baton Rouge (Belaire High) Coach Teaches Discipline

MikeBigg

I wanted to share this article. I know Coach Banks from when my son attended this high school. He was an assistant football coach at the time. Although he was primarily the 9th grade coach in football, he and the only other Black Coach on the squad were much respected by the players. They stood up for the kids but got in their azz when it was needed. A good man!

Also, here in EBR parish, the only African American head coaches at a non-majority black school is Coach Banks and Coach Boatner (girls basketball) at Belaire. Both are strong disciplinarians who stand up for the students when they are right and get in that azz when they are wrong!

Bengals back on track
One-game ?punishment? serves as wake-up call for Belaire
By WILLIAM WEATHERS
Advocate sportswriter

Belaire coach Michael Banks is not one to compromise his own principles, much less those concerning the welfare of his basketball program.

So, four games ago, Banks took a firm stance and benched his all eight of his senior players in favor of a junior varsity lineup for an important Jan. 8 game against Capitol.

The result? A 43-14 loss, but apparently Banks got his message across loud and clear.

Belaire (15-11) hasn?t lost since, winning three straight District 6-4A games and sits atop the league standings with Glen Oaks (11-12, 3-0) heading into tonight?s 7:30 game at Glen Oaks.

"I didn?t feel as though I was getting the senior leadership we needed," Banks said. "We weren?t playing together, we had too many guys trying to do their own thing.

"So I went with my younger kids, the ones who are coming back next year," Banks continued. "I had to start thinking about next year because we were a totally different team from the beginning of the year. It took a lot of guts to do it, but it wasn?t about winning or losing. It was about attitude and who wanted to win."

Banks? one-game experiment has paid handsome dividends.

Not only has Belaire has reeled off three straight victories, but the Bengals have resorted to playing the style of team basketball Banks demands.

"The example we use is the fist," Banks said. "You can hit harder with a fist than with an open hand and we had become an open hand with too many individuals. Now we?re a fist again and playing as a team again."

Banks said his team?s nondistrict schedule, games against Denham Springs, Woodlawn, Evangel, Tara and Brusly have gone a long way in preparation for tonight?s contest with Glen Oaks.

"We may have 11 losses, but we?ve played some quality teams," Banks said. "We lost by six to Denham Springs, eight to Woodlawn and took Evangel to double overtime. We?ve played a hard schedule."

Both Belaire and Glen Oaks tuned for their first-round showdown with double-digit victories on Tuesday.

Josh Howard?s 19 points led the Bengals to a 59-48 win over Walker (17-8, 1-2), while Glen Oaks rode the 19 points of Travis Hall past Live Oak, 74-44.

"We haven?t played a game this big here in some time," Banks said. "This team hasn?t experienced this kind of pressure in a while, but we?re looking forward to it.

"I like our matchups with Glen Oaks because we?re not at a disadvantage height wise," Banks added. "But they have experienced guard play and like to pressure you and that?s something I?m nervous about. But at the same time we?ll see if they can handle our pressure."

Actually, one statement about these gentlemen and their school is not true MB. Belaire is no longer a non-majority black school. I did my student teaching there last semester and believe me, things have changed. Banks and Boatner still have that attitude on the court, but they have backed off in other areas in terms of discipline. Still, I like hearing this: A teacher first, a coach second!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Great article about Coach Banks and the Belaire Basketball team. High School Basketball has been very good in the Baton Rouge area for the last 10 years and it is good to see my old school making strides in hoops.

My old alma mater was represented in that article

High School Basketball has always been good in BR. It was the bomb when I was in high school. I attended Glen Oaks and our team was the isht. We didn't have a good football team, but we made up for it in basketball season. Those boys used to hoop.:tup:

Back