Australian Open 2020

Olde Hornet

Australian Open 2020

Its that time of year, the beginning of the 2020 Tennis year with the first major of the year. Hopefully the rain will put out the fires and clear the air.

https://ausopen.com .
:clap:

Results can be found here:

https://ausopen.com/schedule#!13851

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...esults-highlights-scores-recap-from-melbourne

Selected Men's Singles Matches

(3) Roger Federer bt. Steve Johnson, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2

(8) Matteo Berrettini bt. Andrew Harris, 6-3, 6-1, 6-3

Marton Fucsovics bt. (13) Denis Shapovalov, 6-3, 6-7 (7), 6-1, 7-6 (3)

(6) Stefanos Tsitsipas bt. Salvatore Caruso, 6-0, 6-2, 6-3

(2) Novak Djokovic bt. Jan-Lennard Struff, 7-6 (5), 6-2, 2-6, 6-1

Selected Women's Singles Matches

(8) Serena Williams bt. Anastasia Potapova, 6-0, 6-3

(3) Naomi Osaka bt. Marie Bouzkova, 6-2, 6-4

Coco Gauff bt. Venus Williams, 7-6 (5), 6-3

(7) Petra Kvitova bt. Katerina Siniakova, 6-1, 6-0

(1) Ashleigh Barty bt. Lesia Tsurenko, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1

Shuai Zhang bt. (24) Sloane Stephens, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2

Ok, what the f--k is Sloane Stephens' problem?? :mad: She reminds me of what @Olde Hornet used to say about James "why win it in 3 when I can lose it in 5" Blake. I just hate to see her go out in the first round, but it has happen to the best of them. I just wish she was mentally tougher.

I watched the Coco and Venus match. I am such a big fan of Venus, but it is very "painful" for me to watch her play now. She makes too many unforced errors. But, father time is undefeated.
She looked good at moments and awful at other. Over 70 UFE :( She definitely had chances to win!

Ok, what the f--k is Sloane Stephens' problem?? :mad: She reminds me of what @Olde Hornet used to say about James "why win it in 3 when I can lose it in 5" Blake. I just hate to see her go out in the first round, but it has happen to the best of them. I just wish she was mentally tougher.
Sloane mind has been gone! She got a man and that messed her up even more now. I think its time for her to decide if she will walk away or show that she is dedicated to the sport

PRIMA DONNA FIRST LADY OF THE STAGE (Les Misérables)
:lmao:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/te...peel-his-banana-for-him/ar-BBZ97vb?li=BBnba9I
:popcorn:

A 21-year-old tennis player was told off by an umpire at the Australian Open after he asked a ball girl to peel his banana for him

21-year-old Elliot Benchetrit landed himself in trouble at the Australian Open on Saturday after he cheekily asked a ball girl to peel a banana for him.
The Frenchman made the bizarre request midway through his final qualifying match against Dmitry Popko, prompting umpire John Blom to step in.

Blom told Benchetrit to peel the banana himself, before the pair had a heated exchange words, ending with Benchetrit appearing to tell Blom to "stop" numerous times.
Shortly after, a Twitter account that appears to be owned by the Frenchman hit back at the person who shared the footage, accusing them of taking "stupidity to another level."

Benchetrit beat Popko 4-6 6-2 6-3, meaning he will now face Japan's Yuichi Sugita in the tournament's first round.

Sloane mind has been gone! She got a man and that messed her up even more now. I think its time for her to decide if she will walk away or show that she is dedicated to the sport
I agree, she got the man, she is happy.

I agree. Maybe she needs to step away from tennis for a while and regroup. Because if I am not mistaken, that is what both William sisters did earlier in their careers. But I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.

I agree. Maybe she needs to step away from tennis for a while and regroup. Because if I am not mistaken, that is what both William sisters did earlier in their careers. But I could be wrong, so don't quote me on that.
Yeah they did take breaks to focus on other things during their career.

Australian Open 2020: Tuesday Results, Highlights, Scores Recap from Melbourne

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...esults-highlights-scores-recap-from-melbourne

(1) Rafael Nadal bt. Hugo Dellien, 6-2, 6-3, 6-0

(5) Dominic Thiem bt. Adrian Mannarino, 6-3, 7-5, 6-2

(15) Stan Wawrinka bt. Damir Dzumhur, 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4

(4) Daniil Medvedev bt. Frances Tiafoe, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2

(10) Gael Monfils bt. Yen-Hsun Lu, 6-1, 6-4, 6-2

(23) Nick Kyrgios bt. Lorenzo Sonego, 6-2, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (1)

(7) Alexander Zverev bt. Marco Cecchinato, 6-4, 7-6 (4), 6-3

(2) Karolina Pliskova bt. Kristina Mladenovic, 6-1, 7-5

(19) Donna Vekic bt. Maria Sharapova, 6-3, 6-4

(6) Belinda Bencic bt. Anna Karolina Schmiedlova, 6-3, 7-5

Ons Jabeur bt. (12) Johanna Konta, 6-4, 6-2

(5) Elina Svitolina bt. Katie Boulter, 6-4, 7-5

(4) Simona Halep bt. Jennifer Brady, 7-6 (5), 6-1

(17) Angelique Kerber bt. Elisabetta Cocciaretto, 6-2, 6-

Australian Open 2020: Tuesday Results, Highlights, Scores Recap from Melbourne

(1) Rafael Nadal bt. Hugo Dellien, 6-2, 6-3, 6-0

(5) Dominic Thiem bt. Adrian Mannarino, 6-3, 7-5, 6-2

(15) Stan Wawrinka bt. Damir Dzumhur, 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4

(4) Daniil Medvedev bt. Frances Tiafoe, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2

(10) Gael Monfils bt. Yen-Hsun Lu, 6-1, 6-4, 6-2

(23) Nick Kyrgios bt. Lorenzo Sonego, 6-2, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (1)

(7) Alexander Zverev bt. Marco Cecchinato, 6-4, 7-6 (4), 6-3

(2) Karolina Pliskova bt. Kristina Mladenovic, 6-1, 7-5

(19) Donna Vekic bt. Maria Sharapova, 6-3, 6-4

(6) Belinda Bencic bt. Anna Karolina Schmiedlova, 6-3, 7-5

Ons Jabeur bt. (12) Johanna Konta, 6-4, 6-2

(5) Elina Svitolina bt. Katie Boulter, 6-4, 7-5

(4) Simona Halep bt. Jennifer Brady, 7-6 (5), 6-1

(17) Angelique Kerber bt. Elisabetta Cocciaretto, 6-2, 6-2

Australian Open 2020 Results: Winners, Stats from Thursday's Singles Bracket

Here are some key results from Thursday's bracket. For the complete results, visit the Australian Open's official website.

Men's Singles

(7) Alexander Zverev bt. Egor Gerasimov: 7-6 (5), 6-4, 7-5

(4) Daniil Medvedev bt. (Q) Pedro Martinez: 7-5, 6-1, 6-3

(5) Dominic Thiem bt. (WC) Alex Bolt: 6-2, 5-7, 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-2

(10) Gael Monfils bt. Ivo Karlovic: 4-6, 7-6 (8), 6-4, 7-5

(23) Nick Kyrgios bt. Gilles Simon: 6-2, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5

(15) Stanislas Wawrinka bt. Andreas Seppi: 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4

(16) Karen Khachanov bt. Mikael Ymer: 6-2, 2-6, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (10)

(1) Rafael Nadal bt. Federico Delbonis: 6-3, 7-6 (4), 6-1

Women's Singles

(2) Karolina Pliskova bt. Laura Siegemund: 6-3, 6-3

(6) Belinda Bencic bt. Jelena Ostapenko: 7-5, 7-5

(17) Angelique Kerber bt. (WC) Priscilla Hon: 6-3, 6-2

(19) Donna Vekic bt. Alize Cornet: 6-4, 6-2

(4) Simona Halep bt. (Q) Harriet Dart: 6-2, 6-4

(9) Kiki Bertens bt. (WC) Arina Rodionova: 6-3, 7-5

I had never heard of Mikael Ymer of Sweden (his parents hails from Ethiopia). I watched his match with Khachanov of Russia. Even though the Russian won, I think with time, Ymer, he is only 21 years old, could be a top 10 player.

Ymer should have won, but he is young and needs more experience. I look forward to seeing more of him.

I am picking Osaka as well. Coco is still young - 15

Major upsets today. Serena , Madison, Caroline and Osaka are out, more later. UPSET FRIDAY!

Last edited:
I know this probably had nothing to do with her winning or losing but I wish Serena could drop about 15 or maybe 20 pounds. But after having a baby and considering her age, that will be extremely difficult to do. I am not looking forward to the French Open. Although Serena has won it once or twice, but clay is not her best surface.

Last edited:
Osaka forehand broke down today, nice win for Coco.

Gauff stuns defending champion Osaka

If Wang Qiang thought she’d staged Friday’s biggest upset when she ousted Serena Williams from Australian Open 2020, she was quickly forced to reassess when she was one-upped by Coco Gauff.

Just hours after Wang had beaten Serena in three sets at Rod Laver Arena, 15-year-old Gauff stunned defending champion Naomi Osaka 6-3 6-4 on the same court to blow the second quarter of the women’s draw wide open.

Back