Approximately 300 Alabama State University fans and alumni voiced displeasure.......

Originally posted by DAHILL
if you laughed it off with them it would eventually stop. It is if yall are asking GR for an apology for something that YOUR administration AND coaches have done to your program...
Thank you

Da Hill has the pulse of this whole thing...thanks bro

dude, ole mh been around way too long for that one

GR,
Stop trying to sound all righteous now.
Yo arse hate LC and you know it! :lol:
Thats why I don't even bother to answer your questions or the ones of your mininons either.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Cosby is doing the right thing by trying to clean up your program. You guys should get behind him and support the man.

:smh: You still don't get it, GR.

This guy has eluded more questions from the parents of the athletes supposedly involved than he's done actual investigating. You tell me what AD takes away a student athlete's eligibility to play sports because he couldn't figure out what time he wanted to schedule a meeting with the kid???

How in the heyal are you going to run an "internal" investigation of a program when you use the press covering it as a personalized forum to express how guilty one coach is???

to this day, this cat has yet to answer any questions or concerns from students, fans, or alumni about how this investigation is being managed, run, documented, etc., etc, ad nauseum.

As i said before in a previous thread, if the allegations against L.C. are valid, you're not going to see anybody from Bama State (alumni or otherwise) supporting him. My question is how in the world are you going to run an effective internal inquiry when your AD leaks more innuendo and rhetoric into the media than the investigation even comes close to turning up???

:rolleyes: :shame:

Maybe it's me, but if I'm an AD and I want to get [concrete stuff[/B] on the allegations levied against the program, I'm not going to engage in a publicized media smear campaign to pad my ego.... :smh:

When you have allegations of any sort, you investigate it; not run to the media and say what you think happened without any concrete evidence.

the investigation and how it's been managed has been far more damaging in the long-term image for the school than the inpropriety itself, if there is any......

So lemme ask you this, GR.... when the next coach comes in and Crosby's ego can't take the spotlight not being on him, what do you think he's going to do??? :rolleyes:

crazylegs,
Bruh, you better stop responding to something GR said or you gon soon get blamed for either diverting attention or blaming stuff on him. See, all ASU folks just suppose to join in with Cosby ("the good guy") and support him as he "cleans up the program". Never mind his thoroughly bungled "internal investigation" has taken 8 months, never mind that report sent to the NCAA, and the ensuing comments, never mind that camp supposed to start next week, we all just need to get behind Cosby and "support the man".

what a joke!

Originally posted by crazylegs
you can thank our pres-o-dent and our illustrious Board of trstees for that one... :shame:

Did they know what they were doing by hiring him (meaning that he was the best qualified person for the job) or did they just reach into the bucket and pull out somebody?

id they know what they were doing by hiring him (meaning that he was the best qualified person for the job) or did they just reach into the bucket and pull out somebody?

To be quite honest, beans, that's what all of us alumni are itchin to find out.... :shame:

but i digress...

Some of the mafia folks that think they know what's going on down in Montgomery don't have a clue.... *smh*

Originally posted by crazylegs
To be quite honest, beans, that's what all of us alumni are itchin to find out.... :shame:

but i digress...

Some of the mafia folks that think they know what's going on down in Montgomery don't have a clue.... *smh*

One more question and Im through. Do you believe that this could have been a "set-up" by your President and Board to bring this guy in? I mean, he came in and the next thing you know there was an investigation.

One more question and Im through. Do you believe that this could have been a "set-up" by your President and Board to bring this guy in? I mean, he came in and the next thing you know there was an investigation.

where it pertains to University politics, anything's possible. That just doesn't apply to Bama State. :smh:

again, I digress....

If you select J-State folks are going to comment on how guilty or innocent L.C. is in all of this, you first need to take a look at the method in which Crosby organized this "investigation" *smh*

Salem Witch trials send help.... :shame:

crazylegs,
Bruh, you better stop responding to something GR said or you gon soon get blamed for either diverting attention or blaming stuff on him. See, all ASU folks just suppose to join in with Cosby ("the good guy") and support him as he "cleans up the program". Never mind his thoroughly bungled "internal investigation" has taken 8 months, never mind that report sent to the NCAA, and the ensuing comments, never mind that camp supposed to start next week, we all just need to get behind Cosby and "support the man".

what a joke!

*lol*

vintage.... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :bawling:

I agree with cha that this was a soiled investigation, but I was just wondering how this guy came into office and then started hurdling accusations and statements. It seems fishy from the top to the bottom.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
and Dahill,
You and I have already had that discussion about coaches finishing in last place or pointing out his record against in-state rivals, as some type of justification that he needs to go. If you felt like that, then why aren't you also calling for Pettaway to be fired. See, it's convenient to talk stuff like that when it's not your school.

anybody in the dogpound will tell you that I am not the biggest L Vann Pettaway fan, mainly because IMO he cant recruit. He can coach but he cant recruit. If he would have got fired after last year, I wouldnt have had a problem with it because at AAMU, we DONT LOSE LIKE THAT. If we have another season like last year you better be assured that I will be on Pettaways ass WORST than the Mafia was on Hughes ass. And still there is a BIG difference between Pettaway and Coles. Pettaway is the all time winningnest basketball coach in AAMU history. And there are only one or two HBCU basketball coaches with a better winning percentage over a given amount of years than Pettaway has. He has won plenty of conference championships, sent teams to the Final Four and Elite Eight on many occasions. IF AAMU was to get a new arena built now 9 times out of 10 it would be named after Pettaway. Coles has no such credentials at Alabama State. But rest assured if Pettaway has another season like last year, talk will get around in Huntsville. I personally think he would call it quits.

(speaking in general terms about retaining coaches)
I don't agree with saying that based on the 3 year tenure of Cole at ASU, his record suggest that he should be fired, based on last year's results. (6-6) That was just his 3rd year. His first two years, ASU won the East and tied atop the East. Keep in mind, this was coming from a 2-9 season in 99
(Pettaway does have tenure and should have more leeway, but I got a far better example). If Jones (in his 2nd year) finishes in last place in the East this year, do you think he should be fired?
Based on that quick fire philosphy, programs will never have a chance to get some stability or to have a coach with any real time to groom players to his system to even make a difference, because the turnover would be nonstop, to the detriment of the program.

Originally posted by mighty hornet
(speaking in general terms about retaining coaches)
I don't agree with saying that based on the 3 year tenure of Cole at ASU, his record suggest that he should be fired, based on last year's results. (6-6) That was just his 3rd year. His first two years, ASU won the East and tied atop the East. Keep in mind, this was coming from a 2-9 season in 99
(Pettaway does have tenure and should have more leeway, but I got a far better example). If Jones (in his 2nd year) finishes in last place in the East this year, do you think he should be fired?
Based on that quick fire philosphy, programs will never have a chance to get some stability or to have a coach with any real time to groom players to his system to even make a difference, because the turnover would be nonstop, to the detriment of the program.

show me ONE TIME where I said he should be fired.... I never ever said he should be fired because of his record... I was just questioning why rally around a coach who has has a losing record against both of his in state rivals... I never said that he should be fired.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
July 29, 2003
Montgomery, Alabama

ASU president considers next move

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

President Joe Lee says he will present his plan to the board of trustees

Alabama State University President Joe Lee said Monday he is contemplating the fate of head football coach L.C. Cole.

Cole and the ASU football program have been involved in an internal investigation for the past eight months. Last week, attorney Robert Clayton, who has been conducting ASU's inquiry for the past three months, turned over his findings, which revealed several apparent NCAA violations.

ASU athletic director Richard Cosby forwarded Clayton's report to the NCAA last Tuesday.

Lee, who was out of town last week, said Monday he had reviewed the university's internal report and planned to meet later this week with university officials to determine what course should be taken.

"The investigation determined that some of the allegations (against the football team) were true," Lee said. "I plan to get together with the athletic director and the university's attorneys to determine what will be best to do at this point. After we determine a course of action, we'll make a presentation to the board of trustees."

Lee gave no indication of the likely outcome.

"No recommendations have been made one way or the other (on Cole's future)," he said. "At this point, I really can't comment."

Lee said he expected a decision soon.

"I wish I could have had this done yesterday," Lee said. "I know that time is of the essence at this point."

The Southwestern Athletic Conference media day is scheduled for Friday and players report for fall practice on Monday.

Cole, reached late Monday for comment, said he remains optimistic that things will be worked out.

"(Lee) is the chief executive officer for this university," Cole said. "I'm certain he'll make the right decision in all this."

ASU began its investigation into the football program after former assistant coach Dedrick Bell turned over a letter to university officials. The letter detailed several NCAA rules violations Bell claimed to have witnessed during his year under Cole.

"I would like to just sit down with the president and go through this whole report," Cole said. "I want it to be just me and him, so we can go through this report and get all of these questions answered. There are a lot of things in that report that I haven't seen. I would welcome the chance to go over it with him. Just me and him. I think then he would be able to see where some of these problems have come from."

While the allegations in Bell's letter were the basis for the investigation, Clayton said he uncovered several more problems during interviews with players and coaches.

"I think you can tell by some of the things that we've looked at that this investigation didn't end with Bell's letter," Clayton said. "Whenever there are allegations made, a university has a responsibility to look into those allegations. I went in several different directions over the course of this investigation. I basically went where the evidence took me."

Lee said he was "surprised" at the depth of the problems in the athletic department.

"There's enough blame to go around for everyone," Lee said. "The NCAA has some very technical bylaws and it behooves all of us to be aware of those bylaws. We're supposed to abide by the NCAA rules here and that's what we're going to do."

Many ASU fans and alumni have voiced displeasure with the amount of time the investigation has taken. On Saturday, an estimated 300 fans attended a protest rally at Hornet Stadium to publicly condemn the investigation and show support for Cole.

Lee said that Clayton and the university only wanted to do the best job possible.

"We have an obligation to look into every allegation that's made," Lee said. "When you hold up your hand and look at it, you won't see any germs on it. But if you put your hand under a microscope, you'll be able to see that there are several germs running around all over it. That's what this investigation was. We put the football program under a microscope so we could see the problems."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh Moon can be reached by phone at (334) 240-0191 or by fax at (334) 261-1586.

Back