Analysis: Celebration Bowl vs FCS Championship

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!

Findings

There isn't a significant advantage that HBCU teams receive from playing in the NCAA Division I FCS Playoffs. The Celebration Bowl attracts higher television viewership, more fans in attendance, and a guaranteed bowl game payout for both teams. Although the FCS Championship finalists did have more players drafted to the NFL, the number of players selected wasn't drastically high.

While we still root for HBCU teams to make the FCS Playoffs and compete for a national championship, such as Florida A&M in 2021, the creation of the Celebration Bowl in 2015 is a seminal moment in HBCU athletics history and presents an intriguing proposition for SWAC & MEAC teams to get more national exposure and money for their football programs.

I will say the TV ratings comparison is not really explained with proper context, considering you have to factor in the network, timeslot, and what other programming the games are up against. But, the overall effort was respectable.

I will say the TV ratings comparison is not really explained with proper context, considering you have to factor in the network, timeslot, and what other programming the games are up against. But, the overall effort was respectable.
You forgot to mention availability of said networks. ESPN is paid cable channel vs. ABC is available to anyone with over the air broadcasting.

Based on facts we know that celebration bowl is the better financial option, but when it comes to competitor argument than the FCS Playoffs is the standard for FCS schools. The HBCU Celebration Bowl winner is the best team in both the MEAC and SWAC Conference (only18 teams and does not include HBCUs in PWI Conferences) and the winner of the FCS Playoffs is the best school in all of FCS (over 100 schools) (minus MEAC, SWAC, and Ivy schools).

Until the NCAA make changes to FCS Playoffs, like they did for D2, then there is no point in the MEAC and SWAC sending their best into the FCS Playoffs as long as the Celebration Bowl is still a financial success.

On a competition front the MEAC and more so the SWAC should do better when it comes to out of conference schedule. Each team in the MEAC has 5 out of conference games on their schedule and have done a pretty good job of scheduling. For the MEAC they still need to only keep to playing one D2 school, if they they are incline to play a D2 HBCU. Each team in the SWAC only has 3 out of conference games on their schedule and they should not play conference games as out of conference games.

It goes without saying that neither the MEAC or SWAC schools should be playing DIII, NAIA, or non align schools.

From a personal perspective I would like to see HBCU schools play and win against more of the successful FCS schools in order to:

Disprove the narrative that HBCUs can't beat high ranking non HBCU FCS schools
Payback for PWI schools ducking HBCUs back in the day during segration while at the same time claiming to be the best football

PW Moore Junior-Senior High School in Elizabeth City, North Carolina would call out the 2 to 3 white high schools in Elizabeth City all the time during segration.

Each team in the SWAC only has 3 out of conference games on their schedule and they should not play conference games as out of conference games.

It goes without saying that neither the MEAC or SWAC schools should be playing DIII, NAIA, or non align schools.
That right there.

You forgot to mention availability of said networks. ESPN is paid cable channel vs. ABC is available to anyone with over the air broadcasting.
imo this proves that the CB is the better option as well.

Based on facts we know that celebration bowl is the better financial option, but when it comes to competitor argument than the FCS Playoffs is the standard for FCS schools. The HBCU Celebration Bowl winner is the best team in both the MEAC and SWAC Conference (only18 teams and does not include HBCUs in PWI Conferences) and the winner of the FCS Playoffs is the best school in all of FCS (over 100 schools) (minus MEAC, SWAC, and Ivy schools).

Until the NCAA make changes to FCS Playoffs, like they did for D2, then there is no point in the MEAC and SWAC sending their best into the FCS Playoffs as long as the Celebration Bowl is still a financial success.

On a competition front the MEAC and more so the SWAC should do better when it comes to out of conference schedule. Each team in the MEAC has 5 out of conference games on their schedule and have done a pretty good job of scheduling. For the MEAC they still need to only keep to playing one D2 school, if they they are incline to play a D2 HBCU. Each team in the SWAC only has 3 out of conference games on their schedule and they should not play conference games as out of conference games.

From a personal perspective I would like to see HBCU schools play and win against more of the successful FCS schools in order to:

Disprove the narrative that HBCUs can't beat high ranking non HBCU FCS schools

Payback for PWI schools ducking HBCUs back in the day during segration while at the same time claiming to be the best football

PW Moore Junior-Senior High School in Elizabeth City, North Carolina would call out the 2 to 3 white high schools in Elizabeth City all the time during segration.

great post and the bolded area highlights my reasoning for backing the CB so strongly. Don't conform to their idea of best, play the game the same way they did and use it until you have a real advantage, then start playing those great programs to disprove the narrative. I believe the CB is our way to usurp pwi FCS dominance of our conferences. I just wished we all felt this way and got on board with it.

I want to see how both perform once the CFP 12 team-playoff begins next season. The CB will be going up against 1 or 2 CFP first-round games.

The SWAC and the MEAC has to do what is best in their interest financially. The red states are attacking our institutions daily from their intentional underfunding and their constant racists policies on higher public education. We have created niche that the PWI FCS institutions envy financially. We have to continue to increase our branding, and riding this wave because it will not last long. Jackson State is currently under attack from a racist governor and IHL because they are upset USM got exposed for fraud by the federal government now they are currently trying to undermine the university in their presidential search. Carter G. Woodson spoke on how those white fingers will always control the black higher education survival. The CB right now is the right thing for us now, but it may change in the near future. We know it is working because DII HBCU's now have a similar type bowl to create more finances while also participating in the DII playoffs as well; but we also must understand that our fortunes can always change.

Back