Alcorn-UAPB results.

Antroy

I forgot to tell the UAPB people that I'm Alcorn Warrior on here, too. They know me as Antroy, so I'm posting this as Antroy.

I ended up going to Pine Bluff at the last minute. I left Greenville around 5:30 or 6. I thought that the game started at 6:30 but for some reason it didn't get started until around 7:30. I think that the weather might have had something to do with it.

Anyway, I got the chance to meet some people from UAPB's band. They are some cool people.

As far as the game goes, Alcorn won 37-10. The band matchup, however, went to UAPB by a mile. I'm going to break it down from when I walked into the game which was at the 8 minute mark in the first quarter.

When I came in both bands were quiet. It was 3-3 and nothing much was going on in the game. I spoke to Philharmonic (who looked like he had seen a ghost when he saw me) and then it started. UAPB played a song and it went all downhill for Alcorn.
I went to the Alcorn sad and I was shocked at what I saw!! The numbers were down. I'm not going to get into why they were down (that's for the Alcorn private forum). Anyway, things got started off with a drum challenge. I have to give the "W" to UAPB. K.R.A.N.K was handling their business. Alcorn was trying to hold up but they were lacking the numbers to effectively put up some competition.
There wasn't much band playing in the first half. The game was kind of dragging along. Then it came to halftime.

Alcorn's drill was okay. They did the standard step-two drill and the "ASU" formation. The Golden Girls danced to Crazy in Love. The routine could have definitely been better. I would have loved to see them do some of the routine that was in the video. There was a few tempo problems with Crazy in Love. The spacing with the band was throwing the two sides off a little. The dance routine was simply lacking!! There wasn't anything in the routine that got any house.
UAPB was doing pretty good on their drill. They did a step-two drill and it was pretty precise. They did the "UAPB" formation, too. Their Golden Girls also performed to Crazy in Love. They actually did parts from the video (and you all know that they had to do the "Uh-oh" part). They had a pretty good routine. UAPB's dance routine was ok. They had a few parts that got some good house. The part with the girls doing the Chickenhead was a good idea.

I have to give halftime to UAPB.

The 3rd quarter was mostly sectional challenges. Alcorn's trombone section is about the best I've seen them. The UAPB/******** guys I was sitting with enjoyed the trombone section. The train fanfare was one of their favorites (at least I thought it was judging from their reaction to it). I'm not going to discuss the second half because there wasn't much I was paying attention to. On to the 5th.

All I can say is that UAPB was on fire in the 5th!! They brought that fire that you only see in the middle of the season when bands are reaching their peak. I was on the field UAPB was straight blowing!! They played "I'm Dreaming" by Christopher Williams and that shut the 5th down!! I had to give it up to them. They were ready. Alcorn's song selection could have been better.

Overall, UAPB took this one easily. I hate to say it because I'm a diehard Alcorn SOD member. It hurt me to see Alcorn get done in like that. UAPB was clearly better tonight.

It was good to meet the people from UAPB that are on ********. I can't remember the names but they are all some cool people. The next time I come to UAPB, I'll be sure to let you all know so we can kick it after the game. I had to come back home this time.

The bottom line is that UAPB was ready for Alcorn and there wasn't much that Alcorn could do that would make the M4 back down. Thunda (ASU's Trombone section) is going to be a force to reckon with if they keep up the good work.

All SOD members need to get to the private forum on here or on the other SWAC board. We have some serious issues to discuss.

Expect alot more of where that came from when the MMW finally makes it to Alcorn this year.

Congratulations to UAPB's Band !Now I know I'm going to have to keep an eye on you.

To Alcorn State,....hang in there and keep your heads up!!!

Dont give props now legend, keep talkin down from that pedestal of a band named Gram!:rolleyes:

Anyway, I didnt attend, but they did show part of Alcorn halftime and all of the PB halftime. Some things that caught my eye from a TV point of view. Alcorn had many holes, and you could tell that half of them didnt even care to be there. Just goin thru the motions. I didnt see 1 90 from Alcorn on their drill. The show had the substance if you ask me...at least of what I saw, the members just didnt execute.
PB halftime, you could hear the difference on the opening fanfare. Just blew the commentators voice off the airwaves. But the show to me was lacking also. While I know the tradition with "Aint No Stopping Us Now" drill. That song just doesnt come off the field well for some reason. Maybe it was the spacing on the drill, you just couldnt hear at all once ya got to marching. HOW MANY FLAGS Y'ALL GOT THIS YEAR?!?!? :eek2: I saw at least 16-20. I thought y'all had gone corp style with all those flags lol. KRANK numbers seem to be up also. Am I wrong? I thought I saw 10-12 snares, 7 BD's, 8 cym, and didnt get to count the quints. Somebody let me know on these #'s.

The game was pretty decent. I had a chance to meet Antroy and kicked wit Goodfella, along with SWAC31, PBLA and many others.

UAPB tore into their behinds. I give credit where credit is due. If I give Alcorn any credit, it have to go their Trombones. Alcorn's Trombones were on point, as far as anything else..........No!!!

Halftime- UAPB 110%

5th quarter- UAPB infinity%.

For UAPB to consist of 90% krabs, they sho did handle business. They don't have anywhere to go but up. I didn't like the fact that Alcorn played their fieldshow music in the stands.

Alcorn, "Go Practice"

Originally posted by KRANKin98
Dont give props now legend, keep talkin down from that pedestal of a band named Gram!:rolleyes:

:smh:

Dude, the brotha takes the time to give you a compliment but .... oh nevermind...I forget I am talking to a kid. The maturation process will come with time...I guess. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Legend35
Congratulations to UAPB's Band !Now I know I'm going to have to keep an eye on you.

FASHO, Legend. ;)

Anyway, I didnt attend,

YOU SHOULD HAVE STOPPED TALKING RIGHT THERE!!

Ness

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by World Famed
Sine A A&M is going to Alcorn why won't you all travel to Shreveport this year.

....because Grambling never comes to Huntsville; Alcorn came last year.

"Snake"

Originally posted by PsiSnake
....because Grambling never comes to Huntsville; Alcorn came last year.

"Snake"
Are you kidding me? It's like that now? If we come over, then you'ii come over?

Them Numbers You Call Out About The Drum's I Think That Might BE Correct But I THink There Are A Little More Then That I'm Not 2 Sure But There Are 5 quints

Even though Grambling and A&M don't travel to each others stadiums they have still met 2 of the past 3 years in the SCG.

We tried to tell you this summer but old well, I guess the horses mouth is not good enough :confused:

Anyways, whoever said PB trumpets were weak, I couldnt tell last night:eek2:

Anyways, PB impressed me. This is only the first game, so my expectations are far up. We have to face bands like BamaSt, Jsu, Su, TxSo, AAMU, and PV, So I will save my comments. I will say these are just pratice games, Alcorn and Valley. I will judge PB on the heavy hitters. Im sure these battles will be off the chain....:eek2:

Alcorn did not sound bad, only a few tunes the trumpets were butchering most of the arrangements. The field show and 5th was massacre......

It's a little bit more to it than that with AAMU. Let's just say I respect AAMU reason for not coming to GSU. I was upset to find out why we did not go to AAMU when they first joined the SWAC. All we were told then was that we were not going and believe me, we were pissed.

Anyway, I didnt attend, but they did show part of Alcorn halftime and all of the PB halftime. Some things that caught my eye from a TV point of view. Alcorn had many holes, and you could tell that half of them didnt even care to be there. Just goin thru the motions. I didnt see 1 90 from Alcorn on their drill. The show had the substance if you ask me...at least of what I saw, the members just didnt execute.
PB halftime, you could hear the difference on the opening fanfare. Just blew the commentators voice off the airwaves. But the show to me was lacking also. While I know the tradition with "Aint No Stopping Us Now" drill. That song just doesnt come off the field well for some reason. Maybe it was the spacing on the drill, you just couldnt hear at all once ya got to marching. HOW MANY FLAGS Y'ALL GOT THIS YEAR?!?!? :eek2: I saw at least 16-20. I thought y'all had gone corp style with all those flags lol. KRANK numbers seem to be up also. Am I wrong? I thought I saw 10-12 snares, 7 BD's, 8 cym, and didnt get to count the quints. Somebody let me know on these #'s.

We have the same amount of flags we did last year...24, hince the name 24 karat Golden Silks.

Originally posted by uapbmello
Them Numbers You Call Out About The Drum's I Think That Might BE Correct But I THink There Are A Little More Then That I'm Not 2 Sure But There Are 5 quints

correction on the cymbals though, it's about 10 of them and 8 or 10 tenors....

Sorry man...but thats how it is with Wesley; plus he's still offended about yalls request for A&M to pay for your travel to Huntsville when we first joined the SWAC...98?99?....and of course we were like h*ll nall and yall didnt show up so....here we are in 2003 and its our turn to travel....it aint gone happen.

But until yall come to Huntsville first like it should've been in the beginning, dont expect too see A&M unless it's some big Classic game or the SCG.

"Snake"

Its the same way with PB, AAMU came here in 00 and we went there in 01. They came back in 02 and we are going there this year. We went to BamaST last year and they are coming here this year. You all owe the Bamas a trip because BamaSt came to Gram last year. Rumors are that Grambling aint coming to PB, for what I dont know why smh......

Originally posted by GoodFella
You all owe the Bamas a trip because BamaSt came to Gram last year. Rumors are that Grambling aint coming to PB, for what I dont know why smh......

Actually we don't. We went to Montgomery in 2001.

I came to the game a little late due to me, my mom, brother and girlfriend came from Queen City (Camden) Arkansas and tried to find some ponchos. Anywho UAPB came with it. The halftime show was cool. That Spread My Wings was cool. Halftime was fine. Dance routine? I give it a 8. However I did like it when they came out the field with Shake Your Tail Feather. Alcorn did ok. Still need some work on some parts. Now the 5th. UAPB impressed me when they played Frontin and I'm dreamin. I just had to move in close. Valley get ready cause yall next. It was good to see SWAC31 and Antroy.

Back