Alabama A&M vs Alabama st Basketball Game Rivalry at the new Event Center

Man, I have so many fun memories now of the AAMU vs. ASU in basketball alone never mind the other sports.

The very first time I had been around a crowd of us folks when there was nothing but mad confusion was with my pops at an AAMU/ASU Basketball game at Elmore. We were sitting on the second level. Bama St. was whipping us pretty bad. At halftime, someone from AAMU had the most recent MCC score (in which AAMU was victorious) written on a poster board for ASU fans in the house and on that second level to see. Next thing you know, my dad who is still the coolest and calmest Black Man I know in the midst of chaos snatched me and said, "we got to take off and run towards the stairs as fast as we can."

:D Ahhh!!!! AAMU and ASU Basketball memories!!! So proud this this rivalry is nowhere near dead!!! To the newer memories that will continue to be made in the Event Center and the Academe! #toast #cheers

BTW, I'm actually proud of the current students. I don't advocate violence whatsoever but they are very mild to those back in the 80s and 90s, very....:D but that Bulldogs Spirit is there and it is strong still!

Last edited:

Man, I have so many fun memories now of the AAMU vs. ASU in basketball alone never mind the other sports.

The very first time I had been around a crowd of us folks when there was nothing but mad confusion was with my pops at an AAMU/ASU Basketball game at Elmore. We were sitting on the second level. Bama St. was whipping us pretty bad. At halftime, someone from AAMU had the most recent MCC score (in which AAMU was victorious) written on a poster board for ASU fans in the house and on that second level to see. Next thing you know, my dad who is still the coolest and calmest Black Man I know in the midst of chaos snatched me and said, "we got to take off and run towards the stairs as fast as we can."

:D Ahhh!!!! AAMU and ASU Basketball memories!!! So proud this this rivalry is nowhere near dead!!! To the newer memories that will continue to be made in the Event Center and the Academe! #toast #cheers

BTW, I'm actually proud of the current students. I don't advocate violence whatsoever but they are very mild to those back in the 80s and 90s, very....:D but that Bulldogs Spirit is there and it is strong still!
I like the game better in the Gump…. ASU doesnt bring anywhere near the fans that AAMU takes down there. The game in front of both fans is what makes the environment crazy. FAMU brought more people this year than ASU did.

I like the game better in the Gump…. ASU doesnt bring anywhere near the fans that AAMU takes down there. The game in front of both fans is what makes the environment crazy. FAMU brought more people this year than ASU did.
Question, I have always wondered if Huntsville sends as many students down to Montgomery as Montgomery high school students come to A&M? When I'm in the Gump I see a lot of A&M tags, but I don't really see Bama St tags like that in Huntsville. I see them but not in large numbers.

Question, I have always wondered if Huntsville sends as many students down to Montgomery as Montgomery high school students come to A&M? When I'm in the Gump I see a lot of A&M tags, but I don't really see Bama St tags like that in Huntsville. I see them but not in large numbers.
Hell na…. Folks up here use to a different type of environment….it isnt 10 students from Huntsville at Bama State a year…. And the ones that do go, transfer after a semester or year. Now kids here flock to Tennessee State.

i wish most swac fan bases could keep that same intensity when the rival isn't in town - that's what distinguishes the program success
Our basketball games are crazy intense even when we aren’t playing Bama State…. Any coach in the SWAC will tell you that.

To be fair though, Huntsville is quite a bit more advanced than Montgomery when it comes to nearly everything. I ain't been in a while but when I was there, I drove home literally every weekend outside of football season. It was boring...and that's coming from someone from LaGrange. The hood was definitely right around the corner but that didn't really bother me... it was more about the issues I had with the school itself for me.

Our basketball games are crazy intense even when we aren’t playing Bama State…. Any coach in the SWAC will tell you that.
Great turnout & seems to be an exciting atmosphere. Crazy that the schools would want to play this game at a neutral site. Never been interested in Crews Stadium , but A&M Basketball at the Events Center is certainly on the calendar for next season. Gram or either SU ( 2nd choice) if possibe.

That game a week or so ago with Gram vs. S.U. was something to see. The attendance was 7K+

I was there for the Gram sweep & the previous UAPB game that drew over 6k at the dome as well. The UAPB game was mostly because of Greek Night, High School night etc... Atmosphere doesn't seem as intense as A&M vs Bama State. Gram/ SU is a relatively " friendly " rivalry .

Great turnout & seems to be an exciting atmosphere. Crazy that the schools would want to play this game at a neutral site. Never been interested in Crews Stadium , but A&M Basketball at the Events Center is certainly on the calendar for next season. Gram or either SU ( 2nd choice) if possibe.
We were 4th in the conference in football attendance this year… 13th in the nation in FCS and that was with two Thursday games. We had 26k at homecoming….

I was there for the Gram sweep & the previous UAPB game that drew over 6k at the dome as well. The UAPB game was mostly because of Greek Night, High School night etc... Atmosphere doesn't seem as intense as A&M vs Bama State. Gram/ SU is a relatively " friendly " rivalry .

Yeah the Gram/S.U. rivalry is a family affair except for a few overzealous fans…LOL. There was a raucous crowd a few days ago believe it or not at that TXSU/Alcorn game in Houston.

Back