Adoption

Now this is what I call intellectually-stimulating conversation! And, it's about a subject that we don't place nearly as much emphasis as we should...especially in OUR community.

As a christian, I can appreciate neva's sentiments. This is what we are taught from the time that we are young.

HOWEVER, hassan makes a great point as well. I do think that the church (especially the BLACK church) needs to get more involved in the communities that surround them. Better yet, they need to become more a part of the communities. Let's be realistic here folks; there are churches with over 2,000 members who pull up in the parking lot each Sunday, driving the most exotic automobiles, and wearing designer garb.

Many of these members go inside the doors of these sanctuaries, wave their hands, sing and shout. When they come out of their worship services, they get back into their Benzes, Beemers and Buicks(:lol:) and go straight home! Where is the community involvement? I think that's the point that hassan is making.

Children need loving homes, PERIOD! And while our christian doctrine teaches us that some of these lifestyles are not of Christ, we must in the same vein ask...WWJD? While I maybe "uneasy" about it, I don't object to it, because the bottom line is that there are too many children with no place to go. If there are adults out there (gay or straight) who have love in their hearts, and want to give that love to child who's in desperate need of it, why should they be denied that opportunity? After all, what is best for the child in the long run?

Just my take.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
Children need loving homes, PERIOD!

So now I have a question. I have absolutely NO intentions of ever being married ( at least at this point). Do you think it's wrong for an unmarried woman to adopt or become a foster parent? If God will grant me the life I want, I would be wealthy enough to care for one or two children. Now I had this argument/discussion with a male friend. He felt that I was TOTALLY wrong for not wanting my own children. I simply replied I rather be able to ease the pain of a child or two... What say you SP?

BluPearl

if YOU dont want to have any children, that is YOUR decision because it is YOUR body

there aint nothing wrong with a woman not wanting to have children "of her own" any more thana man not wanting to father any children

frankly, i think you are to be commended for wanting to take in children

that raises another important issue here: too many of the folks that want to foster/adopt (mostly prospective adoptive) want only babies

please!!!

the eleven year old Black child - especially boy - nneeeeed homes!!!

i hate it when i hear folks say that they want a young child so that they can play off like they had the children themselves

changing names and religion - oh please!!!

AAMU Alum - thanx for your feedback

*more on this soon...

oh and one more important thing..

i keep forgetting to mention One Church, One Child

this org was started some years ago by Father Clement in Chicago to address the very issue that keeps coming up here

Father Clement figured that if every church in every part of America made sure that at least one child was adopted, we wouldnt have any more kids waiting for loving homes

i dont know if they still exist but they are certainly worth looking up for those of you that are really interested in this very important topic

thank you and God bless

**Blessed Ramadan to all!

Originally posted by jelli
Should whites be allowed to adopt non-white kids/
should blacks be allowed to adopt non-black kids? This goes for other races as well.

Absolutely to both. We need more "cross-pollenation" to bring the races closer together and squash as much as possible the question of race.

Originally posted by BluPearl98
So now I have a question. I have absolutely NO intentions of ever being married ( at least at this point). Do you think it's wrong for an unmarried woman to adopt or become a foster parent?

Wrong? Absolutely not! I know of a young woman who is single, adopted a child a few years ago, and both mother and child are happy as larks! The mother is a loving and caring person who can most certainly provide anything the child needs, and the child is simply adorable, and more importantly, she's blessed with someone in her life who couldn't love her anymore if she were her birthmother. Just the fact that you wish to adopt a child, and offer them the kind of loving foundation that they may not have otherwise, says a great deal about you. If you are pursuing this venture, I say GOD BLESS YOU, and best of luck to you!

As I said...children need loving homes, and adults who will love and provide for them, and offer them the chance to one day themselves become loving parents for their own children, or a child he or she may adopt.

Do you think that each race should be educated about the culture of child they are going to adopt? i.e Say a white couple is going to adopt a black girl should the mother be forced to take hair care classes to learn to deal with black hair? or a Black couple 9 if this will ever happen) is going to adopt a white kid should they be forced to do the same?

I don't know about being "forced" to do so. I can only imagine that white families who adopt black children (and vice versa) are open-minded enough to make the effort to teach those kids about their ancestory and heritage. After all, even if the kids don't realize the difference at a young age, the prospective parents sure do.

The adoptive parents should be encouraged to do so. Classes should be included as part of the adoption process. It would certainly benefit the child and the parent would have learned something new.

the MAPP/GPS (Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting/Group Preparation & Selection) by the Child Welfare League in Atlanta has incorporated that type of cultural awareness into its curriculum for years

it is not comprehensive but it is a start

having recruited, screened, trained, and licensed foster, shelter, adoptive parents and house parents for group homes in the very diverse Miami for years, i can state with confidence that i am happy with how the process is started via MAPP

Back